Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games that were designed first and foremost around location

On 7/22/2021 at 9:40 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I was watching Ken Levine talk about how he built BioShock up entirely around location. He started with the underwater city, and only then came up with the plot and characters. What are some other games designed that way?

I think that most games really have its own uniqueness when it's being designed. There may be some sort of similarities but it's definitely not going to be the same thing. 

I'd say Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy. You know, tropical paradise holiday destination, and space, the final frontier. Well, until Mario goes to the 5th dimension. I would say 4th but he probably did some time travel at some point. Maybe in one of the RPG's? I wouldn't know.

Plus, he does exist in time in every one of his games. If he didn't it'd just be a picture, and those are hard to make into something interactive, cause interaction requires some form of movement, and that requires time. I feel like I'm overanalyzing this a little bit.

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

To be honest, I think this more of an exception than the rule or somewhat of a standard. Normally, developers tend to start with the characters and the story before adding the location at some point in the story.

Does the characters comes before the story? I think there should be a story that a character will get into once it's developed. 

On 7/27/2021 at 5:17 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Probably Metro. I mean, it's even in the title. 

Being a first person shooting horror survival game is a genre that I love so much about Metro. I don't think I can get tired of playing it.