Register Now
Shagger

Netflix IS moving Into Cloud Gaming and WON'T be charging Current Customers extra for it. (RIP Stadia)

This article from Gamespot has the full details, but also check out this video from ReviewTechUSA

This is surely the final nail in Sadia's coffin. There are also rumours abut Netflix partnering with Playstation (as published by What Hi-Fi), but take that with a gain of salt. If there was one company I wanted to see do this, it would be Netflix and I'm so glad they won't be charging extra for it. They've proven over the years that they can deliver a reliable service and aren't afraid to be brave how they invest, so this is exiting for me. The one that's a little disappointing is that they'll be focused, at least initially, on mobiles games, but I'm sure that wont last.

What's your thoughts?

Edited by Shagger

I wonder what could be the profit for netflix for this? I do understand it feels like another marketplace and maybe only new gen may approach this. I am kind of stumped with growing netflix fees. who knows they may raise prices like they do every 12 months. 

2 hours ago, skyfire said:

I wonder what could be the profit for netflix for this? I do understand it feels like another marketplace and maybe only new gen may approach this. I am kind of stumped with growing netflix fees. who knows they may raise prices like they do every 12 months. 

I think they are trying to get more people onto their service, since they plan on mobile type games it is sure to attract a lot.Once hooked then they can up the prices, if they go that route. 

If it's only mobile games which are mostly free to play anyway then it's kinda pointless really, unless they get some exclusives which I doubt.  The partnership with PlayStation has potential if it's true although I would expect to be effectively a tie in or rebrand of their current PS NOW service and their will be an additional fee.

On 7/25/2021 at 3:16 AM, Crazycrab said:

If it's only mobile games which are mostly free to play anyway then it's kinda pointless really, unless they get some exclusives which I doubt.  The partnership with PlayStation has potential if it's true although I would expect to be effectively a tie in or rebrand of their current PS NOW service and their will be an additional fee.

Once Sony is involved, there'll most certainly be another fee involved - I just wonder if they'll pass all of it onto us consumers, a portion of it or they'll eat the cost - at least in the short term.

On 7/25/2021 at 1:22 PM, Demon_skeith said:

I think they are trying to get more people onto their service, since they plan on mobile type games it is sure to attract a lot.Once hooked then they can up the prices, if they go that route. 

If its just mobile and free in the plan, I dont mind it. But knowing Netflix this would be going to that route eventually. 

They're just mobile games. I'm not convinced that they'll bring big AAA titles to Netflix the same way Stadia did. I was a beta tester for Stadia and was at GDC 2019; the technology was there, but google's support for the service and their software library is what caused the service to fail.

13 hours ago, Empire said:

They're just mobile games. I'm not convinced that they'll bring big AAA titles to Netflix the same way Stadia did. I was a beta tester for Stadia and was at GDC 2019; the technology was there, but google's support for the service and their software library is what caused the service to fail.

That's pretty much what always happens with most of the Google projects, the support is never there to sustain it for the long-term and that's why a lot of their projects get canned within 5 years or less.

15 hours ago, skyfire said:

Google only has help docs and they lack the support people. None of their product has active support sales and calls options. Just self service. 

That's a valid point - they usually never have any call options in terms of customer service, it is just self service and then if that doesn't help, you're assisted by virtual customer service. Getting an actual Google employee on the phone is like trying to find buried treasure in the middle of the ocean, it takes so much work!

Yes this is why entire youtube is loaded with the howto videos on most of the google service. A lot of times they release the product and 3rd party explains you how to use that. Which is sad state of company. They boast it as advantage but I find that as a disservice. 

On 7/29/2021 at 1:30 AM, skyfire said:

Yes this is why entire youtube is loaded with the howto videos on most of the google service. A lot of times they release the product and 3rd party explains you how to use that. Which is sad state of company. They boast it as advantage but I find that as a disservice. 

Same - they do need some serious competition to get them to make some serious changes.

16 hours ago, skyfire said:

Netflix is also seem to be going to have mixed reaction considering you are going to see a lot of gamers may praise and some would hate it as theri subscription price would be raised. 

Over the long term, it would definitely go up but I feel like they'd have a separate package for strictly TV and movies subs vs those 2 + gaming.