Register Now
StaceyPowers

Field of view in video games

How do you feel about field of view (FOV) in games? I couldn’t figure out why I was getting motion sick playing the BioShock remaster, and then realized it had an expanded FOV. I switched it off and instantly felt better. But some people must prefer the expanded FOV. I am curious to learn more about this.

12 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

How do you feel about field of view (FOV) in games? I couldn’t figure out why I was getting motion sick playing the BioShock remaster, and then realized it had an expanded FOV. I switched it off and instantly felt better. But some people must prefer the expanded FOV. I am curious to learn more about this.

I actually said before when you mentioned about being motion sick that there must be a trigger and you have just but confirmed it right now for me by knowing your own trigger. 

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It doesn't normally affect me as much but I do like to play with an expanded FOV so that I can get a better scope of what's happening around me without having to look around as much.

Of course, I do understand exactly what you mean because it's absolutely how I enjoy to play as it's way more better with the FOV when it covers all angles. 

It comes down to the fact that different games need you to be able to do different things, In racing sims you want to use your natural sense of speed and distance in order to know how far the apex of a corner is. This is only possible with an almost 'true' FOV, i.e., using the screen as a window to the game world.

In an FPS all this doesn't matter. If you play CS:GO, it's not important whether that crate is 3m in front of you or 5m. But what you need to be able to do is identify targets quickly and have a big FOV so your screen covers as much space in front of you as possible. In the olden days, Quake 3 pros played with FOV settings of 120+.

13 hours ago, Family sedan said:

I just hate when everything is real narrow and I'm like, 'crap, where am I going?'

Seriously, it constricts the game view in such a way it's not going to be quite entertaining and enjoyable anymore which is not supposed to be so. 

In Quake multiplayer advanced players played with ridiculously high fov, like 150 or more, it gave a real advantage.

In regular games I prefer 90-100, but it's also very game specific. Games that are set in huge open areas can get away with lower FOV, but when you have to go through narrow corridors and small rooms narrow fov really bothers me.

On 7/26/2021 at 11:59 AM, Empire said:

It comes down to the fact that different games need you to be able to do different things, In racing sims you want to use your natural sense of speed and distance in order to know how far the apex of a corner is. This is only possible with an almost 'true' FOV, i.e., using the screen as a window to the game world.

In an FPS all this doesn't matter. If you play CS:GO, it's not important whether that crate is 3m in front of you or 5m. But what you need to be able to do is identify targets quickly and have a big FOV so your screen covers as much space in front of you as possible. In the olden days, Quake 3 pros played with FOV settings of 120+.

You are absolutely correct with this assessment of different games coming with different FOV because it's not possible to have all games come with the same FOV no what the gamers are clamoring for.