Register Now
dcgames

Regular Switch or OLED One?

Just wanting to get some feedback on this. I was thinking of buying a Switch, but then I was wondering if I should get the original model or wait for the new OLED one? What are your thoughts?

Edited by dcgames

2 minutes ago, dcgames said:

Thanks for the replies. Do you think they'll be a problem with burn-in on the OLED model?

Brun in and image retention is always a justifiable concern with OLED screens, but with the Switch OLED screen being 7" and a newer model at a comparatively low resolution at 720p I wouldn't be as concerned as I would be with a large, 4K TV panel, for example. I think you'll be ok, just look after and not leave the screen on for to long with a steady, bright image.

47 minutes ago, dcgames said:

Thanks for the replies. Do you think they'll be a problem with burn-in on the OLED model?

First, for the sake of context I first want to give a brief explanation about how OLED differs from regular LED panels.  Traditional LED panels need to be backlit otherwise they would be to dim whereas each OLED in the panel supply's all it's own light.  The benefit of this OLED's don't bleed into each other as much giving sharper contrast between colours, darks and lights.  The downside is of course increased burn-in since they focus more light on specific spots rather than spread it out.

The effect of burn-in on OLED isn't as concerning as it was in the old Plasma or LCD technology.  A plasma screen could burn after 200 hours of heavy use but an OLED screen would take an estimated 1000 to 5000 for the same effect.

So burn-in on OLED is not something really worth being to concerned about in general, but with that being said...

40 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Brun in and image retention is always a justifiable concern with OLED screens, but with the Switch OLED screen being 7" and a newer model at a comparatively low resolution at 720p I wouldn't be as concerned as I would be with a large, 4K TV panel, for example. I think you'll be ok, just look after and not leave the screen on for to long with a steady, bright image.

... I have to disagree here.  The size of the screen and pixel density are irrelevant to this issue.  The Switch OLED's screen if anything is more vurneble to burn-in because is a gaming console and it's likely to spend more time on static images like menus.  Not to mention most of Nintendo's games have a very bright and sold colour asthetic.

I'm sure Nintendo will design the system and software to minimize this risk with features like auto screen brightness and turn off to compensate so it won't be a big concern.

Ok guys, I decided to go with the regular switch. I found one on the marketplace for $200. The guy just had a baby and doesn't have time to play anymore, so I got a deal on it. Also, it's the "red box" version, so I got the slightly upgraded model over the original, which was nice. I bought the Pro controller and BoTW. I have to say my favorite Nintendo controller of all time was the Wavebird, that is until I used the Pro controller. This controller just rocks.

Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback.

3 minutes ago, dcgames said:

Ok guys, I decided to go with the regular switch. I found one on the marketplace for $200. The guy just had a baby and doesn't have time to play anymore, so I got a deal on it. Also, it's the "red box" version, so I got the slightly upgraded model over the original, which was nice. I bought the Pro controller and BoTW. I have to say my favorite Nintendo controller of all time was the Wavebird, that is until I used the Pro controller. This controller just rocks.

Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback.

Well, I never heard of a "Red Box" version, and since even the OLED version was barely an upgrade using the exact same hardware, I'm sorry to tell you that what you bought was a bog standard console. Still, $200 isn't a bad deal for a nearly new Switch. I'd say it would be possible to get a Switch at a lower price than that second hand, but that's really not bad and you're helping out a new father. So, good for you and I'm pleased to hear your enjoying your Nintendo Switch.

I think for almost sixty bucks I'd rather have the physical game. I was looking at some SDXC cards, but then I decided to wait on that. Most of the games I want come on physical cartridges anyway.

I'm going to buy the original Switch as well because there's no point paying $50 for the OLed version. I'm surprised more people haven't called this out and the fact that it doesn't come with Bluetooth makes it an extremely poor refresh if we can even call it that.