Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Arm Wrestling

23 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

He isn't even arm wrestling the correct way. He uses his shoulder strength and even uses his whole weight to beat his opponent.  You are only supposed to use arm strength right?

The official rules don't say anything about that.

• The shoulder of both players must be in a square position before the match starts.
  • All starts will be a ‘Ready…..Go’ . The cadence will vary.
  • You must start with at least one foot on the ground. After the “go” you may have both feet off the ground.
  • A pin cannot be made if the elbow is out of the pocket.
  • To make a winning pin you must touch your opponent to the touch pad.
  • A false start is a foul.
  • You will forfeit the match with your third foul.
  • You may not, at any time, touch your body to your hand.
  • Intentional slip-outs are fouls, which occur when both your palm completely loses contact with your competitor’s palm.
  • The competitors will always conduct themselves in a sportsperson-like manner while at the tournament.
  • The most important arm wrestling rule is the referee’s decision is final.

I mean he's in the square position at the start, he keeps his elbow in the pocket and although I can't exactly tell from the video I'm assuming he has at least one foot on floor at the start.  He's not cheating but just found more effective technique.

The more I watch it, I guess he does have a good technique. It looks like he lets the other guy struggle for a bit then he gets them when they are vulnerable, maybe he feels the tension slack a little to move in for the win. But it's like his arm bone is made of iron or something cause it doesn't move. 

There's wits in arm wrestling and that can make as much of a difference as strength. As @The Blackangel pointed out, this kid's as sharp as a razor and I suspect nobody looking at him would expect his strength and that can only work to his advantage. He may not have the biggest arms, but the biceps and triceps aren't as important as it might first appear. It's actually for more about the shoulder muscles and back muscles as those are the ones that actually turn your arm horizontally. And then, there's technique, his uses every once of muscle and bodyweight allowed by the rules by the way he pulls on his bar and I suspect he's really working his feet well in a way that we can't see in these clips. Good on em'.

Combination of technique as well as wrist, forearm, tricep, shoulder and back strength is what gives him his immense arm strength. Also, he's Russian if I'm not mistaken and most are very dedicated and disciplined in terms of their preparation for anything they do.

Why is he allowed to use his entire body like that? It doesn't seem like a fair fight to me at all. He starts off in a jerking motion that throws off his opponent right away and that's hard to come back from when they are startled like that and already more than halfway down.

On 8/12/2021 at 4:01 PM, Lämmchen said:

Why is he allowed to use his entire body like that? It doesn't seem like a fair fight to me at all. He starts off in a jerking motion that throws off his opponent right away and that's hard to come back from when they are startled like that and already more than halfway down.

@Crazycrab posted the official rules above and, as far as I can tell, it's all perfectly legal.

On 8/12/2021 at 10:01 AM, Lämmchen said:

It's part of the official rules...

On 9/30/2021 at 8:29 PM, killamch89 said:

It's part of the official rules...

Then it's not true "arm wrestling"? LOL  I never knew such rules existed like that because growing up we were never allowed to do it that way when we challenged someone. Of course I never won.

2 hours ago, Lämmchen said:

Then it's not true "arm wrestling"? LOL  I never knew such rules existed like that because growing up we were never allowed to do it that way when we challenged someone. Of course I never won.

The truth is "Arm Wrestling" has very little to do with the muscles in the arms.  Biceps and triceps are for lifting, it's the "pushing" muscles that do the work in this motion.  Such as the deltoids in the shoulder, the pectorals in the chest and more muscles in the back.

You can test this yourself, put your arm into the position then rotate it backwards and forwards like your arm wrestling for a while.  You'll notice it's not your arms then get tired.

On 11/18/2021 at 12:24 PM, Crazycrab said:

The truth is "Arm Wrestling" has very little to do with the muscles in the arms.  Biceps and triceps are for lifting, it's the "pushing" muscles that do the work in this motion.  Such as the deltoids in the shoulder, the pectorals in the chest and more muscles in the back.

You can test this yourself, put your arm into the position then rotate it backwards and forwards like your arm wrestling for a while.  You'll notice it's not your arms then get tired.

Latissimus Dorsi is also used to a small degree. I might have strong back muscles but not strong arm muscles so I'm very weak at arm wrestling and yes the pecs also play a strong role.

Don't forget the grimace LOL  I'm kidding of course but you can see the strain on the faces of those who are trying hard to win. Maybe they're using the wrong muscles?