Register Now
killamch89

Would you rather give up coffee or soda forever?

I'd have to go with the coffee. I can't lose my soda. I have an unhealthy addiction to caffeine in general. And while I know coffee has it, soda is my method of choice and it's not a pretty picture when I run out. Don't get me wrong I love a hot cup of coffee and an iced tea, but I have to have soda.

Edited by The Blackangel

On 8/5/2021 at 10:03 AM, The Blackangel said:

I'd have to go with the coffee. I can't lose my soda. I have an unhealthy addiction to caffeine in general. And while I know coffee has it, soda is my method of choice and it's not a pretty picture when I run out. Don't get me wrong I love a hot cup of coffee and an iced tea, but I have to have soda.

While I don't really have an addiction to soda, I just won't feel the same without some kind of Sprite, Mountain Dew, Fanta or whatever other soda to coat my tongue at least once a month.

On 8/6/2021 at 8:36 PM, killamch89 said:

While I don't really have an addiction to soda, I just won't feel the same without some kind of Sprite, Mountain Dew, Fanta or whatever other soda to coat my tongue at least once a month.

I go through more than a 2 liter a day.

9 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I go through more than a 2 liter a day.

That's rather excessive lol Even in my younger days I wasn't so bad when it came to soda. Food on the other hand, disappeared out of every storage area in the house.

I could easily give up both. I only drink decaf and even that tastes awful and if I drink pop (we don't call it soda in the Midwest where I'm from originally!) it's only for special occasions. If I had to choose one I guess I would choose the decaf coffee to give up since that's easy to let go. I went on vacation recently and didn't even miss it.

4 hours ago, Lämmchen said:

I could easily give up both. I only drink decaf and even that tastes awful and if I drink pop (we don't call it soda in the Midwest where I'm from originally!) it's only for special occasions. If I had to choose one I guess I would choose the decaf coffee to give up since that's easy to let go. I went on vacation recently and didn't even miss it.

What state are you from? I've lived in Missouri (some say we're midwestern, others say we're southern take your pick) my entire life, and here we have always said "soda". No one calls it "pop", except people from the eastern states. Kansan, Illinois, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Iowa, Tennessee, and Kentucky are the states that border us. I've been through all of them multiple times and spent quite a bit of time in them. Never once have I heard anyone buy a "pop". I did spend about 2 months living in Denver (it was hell), and people there called it "pop". So if that's where you're referring to, then no argument from me. But in Missouri and the 8 states that border us, I've never heard anyone want a "pop". They always wanted a "soda"/

Definitely coffee. I've had dozens of coffee more then soda and rather have that were coffee, like extra stronge and I would never give them up. Then again Soda is full of sweet and sagar you know that might not always be that good.

On 8/11/2021 at 10:55 AM, ZandraJoi said:

I can't do caffeine & I don't drink coffee anyways. We do drink an organic soda every so often as a treat. So I would choose giving up coffee. However, even though I don't like the taste, I DO like the smell of coffee lol

The smell of coffee is invigorating - just out of curiosity, where did you get that organic soda and what brand is it? It's the first I'm hearing of such a product and I'd be interested to try it.

10 hours ago, Lämmchen said:

To be fair, I hardly drink coffee so I can easily give it up as well.

16 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

What state are you from? I've lived in Missouri (some say we're midwestern, others say we're southern take your pick) my entire life, and here we have always said "soda". No one calls it "pop", except people from the eastern states. Kansan, Illinois, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Iowa, Tennessee, and Kentucky are the states that border us. I've been through all of them multiple times and spent quite a bit of time in them. Never once have I heard anyone buy a "pop". I did spend about 2 months living in Denver (it was hell), and people there called it "pop". So if that's where you're referring to, then no argument from me. But in Missouri and the 8 states that border us, I've never heard anyone want a "pop". They always wanted a "soda"/

I never considered Missouri at part of the Midwest...but I guess technically it is? I'm originally from the Chicagoland area and no one except tourists called it soda  LOL I had never heard it called that until I went to Kentucky actually.

I've been through Chicago (O'hare) but never to Chicago. So I can't say anything for that mega metropolis. The biggest city I've ever been to is San Diego. But like I said, some consider Missouri part of the midwest, and others (me included) consider Missouri part of the south. Personally I don't think Missouri is far enough west to be midwest. We're further south than we are west. People tend to associate rednecks with the south, well trust me on this: we damn near have a monopoly on that.

12 hours ago, Lämmchen said:

I never considered Missouri at part of the Midwest...but I guess technically it is? I'm originally from the Chicagoland area and no one except tourists called it soda  LOL I had never heard it called that until I went to Kentucky actually.

I've been to a couple of cities in Florida and in Tampa Bay they called it pop but in Jacksonville it was called soda. The cultural differences varies quite a bit between cities in the same state.

17 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I've been to a couple of cities in Florida and in Tampa Bay they called it pop but in Jacksonville it was called soda. The cultural differences varies quite a bit between cities in the same state.

It could be because the snow birds from up north had infiltrated the area? LOL  I have friends who have decided to move to Florida for 3 months out of the year and then return to the Chicagoland area once the weather isn't so harsh the remaining months. It could be people like these having an influence on the areas.

9 hours ago, Lämmchen said:

It could be because the snow birds from up north had infiltrated the area? LOL  I have friends who have decided to move to Florida for 3 months out of the year and then return to the Chicagoland area once the weather isn't so harsh the remaining months. It could be people like these having an influence on the areas.

It's hard to argue because you have lots of people who move from all over the US to Florida every year.