Register Now
killamch89

What movie can you watch over and over and never get tired of?

8 hours ago, Jayson said:

Shawshank Redemption is definitely one of those.  Well, I suppose I could get sick of it.  However, I'd have to see it many times in a row on the same day, lol.

Absolutely one of the best movies ever made. No one can justifiably deny it.

Sadly most movies made nowadays are barely worth one viewing to me.

So here is my definitive timeless movies list, in no particular order:

• Blue Thunder 1983
    A Police helicopter pilot suffering from PTSD and a failing marriage is selected to test a brand new prototype helicopter, and accidentally records proof of a city wide conspiracy. So he and his rookie co-pilot must find a way to get the evidence into the right hands without getting killed.

At first glance this sounds like a typical action movie, but this is not a traditional macho man goes on rampage flick. There is not even a single hand to hand fight in it. It's a thriller with epic performances by Roy Scheider, and one of my favorite character actors: Malcolm McDowel. Also when I first saw the movie as a kid the helicopter in it seemed like the most awesome thing ever. Also elevating the value of the movie that it was made before the time when everything was CGI, so what you see in the movie are real helicopters (or at least scale models) doing real flying.
  • Doomsday 2008
    I honestly don't even remember the plot of this movie, so I won't try my hand at a synopsis. It's a post apocalyptic action flick featuring Rhona Mitra as the hero character. Current Hollywood elites try to gaslight you that there were no strong female characters before they took power, well here is one proof to the contrary. Also Rhona Mitra is actually believeble in the role and is a total badass. Trivia: She originally gained fame by being a Lara Croft model in  the 1990s. I was so disappointed that she didn't get the role in the actual movies.  This movie also features Malcolm McDowel, but that is not why i like it, it's just a happy coincidence.
  • Street People 1976
    One of the many italian mob movies, except this was actually produced by italy and as such lesser known. Still it is made in the US featuring Roger Moore and Stacy Keach as its main characters. They form a buddy duo, and have pretty good chemistry through the film. Their often funny banter is in contrast to to the otherwise serious tone of the story. Some would say the movie suffers from cognitive dissonance, but I like it this way. The buddy aspect is what hooked me on the movie. It also features an iconic and realistic car chase, which imo should be as famous as Bullit.
  • Von Ryan's Express 1965
    Possibly my favorite WWII movies. It follows a group of POWs trying to get back to Allied territory after their captors in an italian POW camp disappear. They capture a German prisoner train and pretend to be high ranking officials hauling prisoners. To get to neutral territory they need to pass multiple checkpoints and take on fuel along the way. It's just an all round great adventure movie with a great cast of actors.
  • Atomic Blonde 2017
    Action movie done right, instead of the hero being invincible they are shown as human and vulnerable while kicking ass nonetheless. Every action scene is a work of art, precisely coreographed and well executed. It never gets old.
  • Convoy 1977
    A film about a group of truckers who are forced to flee after an altrecation with a policeman who hates truckers. And they end up in a cross state police chase with dozens of cops and a 10 mile long convoy that is tried to be coopted by a ruthless politician as a platform to run for presidency.

This might sound like the cheesy plot of a Smokie and the Bandit flick, but I assure you this movie couldn't be more different. It's entirely serious, but not depressive and it makes you think instead of trying to tell you what to think. It is down to earth and the characters aren't pure evil or pure hero, they are all three dimensional people trying to survive.
  • Crank 2 High Voltage 2009
    The quintessential no nonsense brainless action movie. I'm happy to suspend my disbelief to be entertained by it. And it delivers. Most sequels of iconic movies fail to live up to expectation, this just switches gears and delivers even more brainless fun. The godzilla scene is one of the most hilarious spoofs I've ever seen. This was where hollywood peaked as the entertainment industry, it was in downhill roll since.
  • Duel 1971
    A traveling salesman is terrorized by a murderous trucker on the highway.
    I'm not a Spielberg fan, but his debut movie is a true work of art, but it wouldn't work without Dennis Weaver carrying it on his back.
  • Full Metal Jacket 1987
    It's hard to describe this movie in a way that does it justice. In some ways it is absurd, but in other ways deadly serious. It presents the horrors of war and the ruthlessness of the training. You are introduced to the characters as they are heading into basic training, and then you catch up with them again deployed in Vietnam. This movie is not about whether the war was just or no, it is about the human element. Vincent D'Onforio should've won an Oscar for this movie as best supporting actor. Adam Baldwin also puts in an epic performance, one of his best roles. Also kudos to R. Lee Ermey, who portrayed the drill instructor, he originally was only hired as consultant but was promoted on set. They say Kubrick was a tyrant and perfectionist, but it pays off.
  • Battle of the Bulge 1965
    One of the few WWII movies that does not portray the common German soldier as inherently evil. WWII nuts have lots of gripes with this movie due to its inaccuracies as using US post WW tanks as German tigers, but that's besides the point. You watch this movie for the performances not for its historical accuracy.
  • Kelly's Heroes 1970
    A fun movie of a group of soldiers turned bank robbers, it has some comical characters but the movie itself is not a comedy, it is still a WWII movie at its heart. The performances make this watchable over and over again.
  • The Return of Monte Cristo 1968
    A modern take on the Monte Cristo story, set after WWII, this could be even considered a take on the so called "heist" genre.
  • Shaker Run 1985
    A little known New Zealand movie of a car stuntsman who is hired by a lab worker to smuggle a deadly virus out of the country. i just like to watch this for the driving vistas and chases.
  • Runaway Train 1985
    Two prison escapees end up on a train without a driver, while the ruthless prison chief chases them. In this movie the train itself becomes a character, it eminates dread from the first moment it is shown on screen. And the performances by Jon Voight and Eric Roberts are phenomenal, Roberts outperformed his abilities in this one, and Jon Voight is just great as always.
  • Silver Streak 1976
    The traditional pair of Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor star in this movie, but this is not one of their comedy flicks, it is a much more serious action thriller.
    There is a murder on an overnight train, and Wilder's character gets framed for it, so he has to try and clear his name while preventing the bad guys from getting away. There are still some comedic elements like the running gag of Wilder's character always being forced off the train.
  • Sucker Punch 2011
    This is a very divisive movie, you either hate it or love it, I fall into the latter category. I see this movie as an audiovisual feast, and the events in it as allegory.
  • The Great Race 1965
    One of the grandest adventure movie epics ever made. Every character is lovable in their own way even the villains. It's a grand journey over multiple sets in a wacky car race from New York to Paris.
  • The Beast of War 1988
    A movie about a Russian tank crew in the Afganistan war. Where their ruthless commander refuses to abandon his tank when they are cut off from their main army and lost in a valley. When of the crew opposes the commander they leave him to die in the desert. But instead he joins the enemy to take down "the beast".
  • Where Eagles Dare 1968
    Another WWII movie, this one is a WWII heist movie where there are multiple bait and switches, traitors and thrilling action.
  • Ghost in the Shell 1995
    I don't know if anime counts or not. But this is the definitive anime movie and the logical entry point into the genre.
  • Mad Mission (aka. Aces go Places) 1982
    My favorite Hong Kong action flick. Jackie Chan eat your heart out.
  • Oh Shucks! Here Comes UNTAG 1990
    Leon Schuster's first comedy and the best imo, the theme song would alone sell this.
  • Kung Fu Hustle 2004
    Another Hong Kong action comedy, the wild west of kungfu. Crazy, mad and marvellous.
  • Manta Manta 1991
    Manta Manta perfectly portrays that early 90s European youth culture. It was all about cars. I'm pretty sure the original Taxi by Luc Besson took a lot of cues from this film.
  • UHF 1989
    Weird Al's feature length series of spoofs. Badgers? Badgers? We don't need no stinkin badgers!
  • Grand Prix 1966
    The definitive movie about Formula 1 racing. Forget the modern attempts.
  • The Final Countdown 1980
    An aircraft carrier is transported back in time in time to stop the attack on Pearl Harbor, will they change history?
  • Event Horizon 1997
    The only horror movie I ever liked
  • Dune 1984
    Frank Herbert's epic comes to life, I don't think Denis Villeneuve's modern remake has anything on the old one. It almost scene by scene follows the old without adding anything of value, and manages  to drag the first third of the old movie into a feature length film.
  • Equilibrium 2002
    A picture of the future we are heading to, if we keep trying to neuter and make art progressively less offensive.
  • Flash Gordon 1980
    Gordon's Alive? This is how comic books should be adapted. With the painted backgrounds this movie is arguably closer to a comic book than a movie. But it has much more heart than all the modern MCU movies put together.
  • Mad Max 1979
    Mad Max is traditionally heralded as a post apocalyptic film, but the first movie is not post apocalyptic, it only went postal with the second one. This is an origin story, which would be made as the nth film in a franchise nowadays.
  • Screamers 1995
    A B Scifi with creepy robot monsters. What would happen if you unleashed a murderous AI capable of self replicating. Based on a Phillip K Dick novel.
  • Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country 1991
    Quintessential star trek, politics, intrigue, conspiracy, tactical engagements
  • Star Trek II The Wrath Of Khan 1982
    The movie that depicts a single ship to ship engagement, where the protagonist and the villain never even meet face to face. A movie like this would never be greenlit by modern hollywoo.
  • Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back 1980
    The first Star Wars movie was only saved in the editing room from being a total disaster, which enabled the making of the second that is a true epic. The movie that has the least to do with George Lucas is the best of the trilogy. A true hero's struggle - An idea that is completely forgotten by modern day moviemakers. Whose heroes are infallible and can do no wrong, and succeed not due to sheer will and sweat, but are granted victories without having to earn anything. They are just better and stronger than anyone else without training or learning. It is no wonder that very few recent movies could get on this list.

Edited by m76

On 12/8/2021 at 10:49 AM, DylanC said:

Off the top of my head:

- Jurassic Park

- Back to the Future

- The Thing (1982)

- Aliens

- The Shining

I have watched all of these movies, but there are not the movies I would want to watch again and again. I would want to watch Scent of a Woman again and again.

7 hours ago, Clasher said:

Blue story

Merry men part 1 And 2

The wolf of wall Street

Sky high

Deadly illusions

Sky High is an absolute classic along with Don't be a Menace. I pretty much know all the lines in both movies and I still die of laughter when watching them.