Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you always play yourself in an RPG?

I always play some iteration of myself in an RPG. I’ve heard some people who say likewise, and others who try to invent characters who are not like them. I think though that if one pours one’s creative energy into something, what one creates doesn’t come from nowhere—it is still some reflection of personality or life experiences or interests. Thoughts on this?

My characters always have some trait of mine - whether it's my philosophy towards life, my reactions to specific situations or the strategies I'd use in fights in real situations. I always try to make my main character as close as possible to myself though.

10 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

I will use my or family names, kind of imagine it my family being and acting out the story.

Seriously, I think it makes more sense when you get to play that way. More like you're playing to protect them. 

5 hours ago, Shole said:

Sometimes I do,  I rather have this template of a persona I'll play, but mostly myself if it's single player, but multiplayer rp is kinda dead at least for the most games I play.

Most multiplayer games I do play myself and while I might do a bit of RP from time to time, I can't say I'm that committed to it. In single games with subsequent playthroughs, I'll also have a certain template for the characters I want to create but my main character is usually a carbon copy of me.

21 hours ago, killamch89 said:

My characters always have some trait of mine - whether it's my philosophy towards life, my reactions to specific situations or the strategies I'd use in fights in real situations. I always try to make my main character as close as possible to myself though.

Seriously, everyone seems to know themselves well more than anything else, so it's definitely going to more easier to play yourself in a character. 

20 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, I do play myself or something to link up my personality with the game. It gives me some closure when playing. 

That is obvious. Subconsciously, we take the decisions in the game, which reflects our own behaviour. It's a psychological fact, everyone loves to imagine themselves in the place of the character. Even, I too most of the time choose the outfit of my character, that fits to my own choice. 😊

2 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

That is obvious. Subconsciously, we take the decisions in the game, which reflects our own behaviour. It's a psychological fact, everyone loves to imagine themselves in the place of the character. Even, I too most of the time choose the outfit of my character, that fits to my own choice. 😊

Exactly, it's what sometimes I called role playing because everything you do in the game almost reflects your personality. 

I only tried to create a character that was like me once, and it was weird, I play myself all the time, I'd rather enjoy someone else in games.

I can't even say that I do in games what I'd do in that situation, because that's a lie. If I was getting shot at I'd run away in the oppoosite direction, and not go towards the gunfire as almost all in game heroes.

I play an idealized role model whom I find worth admiring or aspiring to, but definitely not myself.

Edited by m76

On 8/9/2021 at 5:04 PM, Shole said:

Sometimes I do,  I rather have this template of a persona I'll play, but mostly myself if it's single player, but multiplayer rp is kinda dead at least for the most games I play.

I think that in most cases when it comes to single player games, one is bound to play himself to a greater extent than in multiplayer.