Register Now
killamch89

What did you want to be when you were a kid?

Honestly, If I remember correctly, I wanted to be a F1 race car driver like Michael Schumacher. I used to watch Formula One a lot as a kid and even though I'm not as in to it now, I still do occasionally watch a few races. What did you want to be when you were a kid?

Astronomy has always been a passion of mine. I absolutely love it. I have several seasons of The Universe on DVD and watch, and rewatch it constantly. I got a telescope last year that I'm still reading the instructions on, because I want to make sure I know everything REALLY well before I get it out, so that I don't screw it up. It was an $1800 telescope. And the powerpak to run it was another $200. The powerpak was an optional nonrequired thing. But when it's charged, I can run the telescope a lot longer. This is even powerful enough for me to see Andromeda and exoplanets as well.

I'm dying to get it out, but need to feel comfortable knowing how to use it first. And with as dumb as I am, I may be wrinkled and gray before that happens.

On 8/11/2021 at 10:45 AM, ZandraJoi said:

I wanted to be an astronomer as well as an archaeologist. Even as a kid, I thought it quite odd having opposite goals lol One is for the future, the other looked to the past. But as I thought on it later in life, we have to LEARN from the past so we don't repeat the same mistakes.

I quite like that metaphor at the end...and I totally agree, we have to learn from out past mistakes.

10 hours ago, Lämmchen said:

I wanted to be a zookeeper when I was 7 years old. I love being around animals and it sounded like a fun job. Well, that was until someone told me I'd have to clean up after the animals and I changed my mind from there and chose artist.

To be fair, that's what you have to do with most pets anyways.

10 hours ago, killamch89 said:

To be fair, that's what you have to do with most pets anyways.

That's why I no longer have any pets  LOL  The thing about pets is that you can't tell them no when they have to go out to potty in a snowstorm! Then you clean their paws up or your floors look a wreck.

I could probably volunteer at our local zoo for a day or two a week and be fine with it, but doing it every day wouldn't be fun.

12 hours ago, Lämmchen said:

That's why I no longer have any pets  LOL  The thing about pets is that you can't tell them no when they have to go out to potty in a snowstorm! Then you clean their paws up or your floors look a wreck.

I could probably volunteer at our local zoo for a day or two a week and be fine with it, but doing it every day wouldn't be fun.

That's the main drawback to pets other than when they decide to be mischievous. Cleaning up after my dogs every day does take a bit of a toll on me but I have to do it regardless.

17 hours ago, killamch89 said:

That's the main drawback to pets other than when they decide to be mischievous. Cleaning up after my dogs every day does take a bit of a toll on me but I have to do it regardless.

If you live in an area where there's a lot of rain or snow then you have the extra care of wiping their paws every time they come back inside. I had a mini schnauzer and snow would cling like pellets to her fur and was impossible to get off! We had a wood burning stove and she would sit in front of it to have the snow melt.

9 hours ago, Lämmchen said:

If you live in an area where there's a lot of rain or snow then you have the extra care of wiping their paws every time they come back inside. I had a mini schnauzer and snow would cling like pellets to her fur and was impossible to get off! We had a wood burning stove and she would sit in front of it to have the snow melt.

Luckily where I live doesn't have any snow and my dogs sleep outside although they do try to sneak into my house at times. Yeah, the mud is pretty annoying to deal with though.

My dogs are indoor/outdoor. When the weather is good, we leave the backdoor open so the dogs can come and go to the backyard as they please. We have a big privacy fence all around it, so they are fenced in. When it gets colder we don't keep it open so much. They all sleep indoors, and often in bed with us. So we often sleep 7 to a bed since we have 5 dogs. All of them are purebreds. It's a lot of work to take care of them and clean up after them, but the rewards far outweigh the work.

Lady - Pitbull (F)
Bella - English Bulldog (F)
Caoimhe (pronounced "Kayva") - Chihuahua (F)
Beaner, Clover - Chihuahua (M)

We also have two female birds. A cockatiel named Baby (hers) and a conure named Apple (mine).

I also currently have 17 rats. 11 males and 6 females.

We're one camel away from being able to charge admission.

6 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

My dogs are indoor/outdoor. When the weather is good, we leave the backdoor open so the dogs can come and go to the backyard as they please. We have a big privacy fence all around it, so they are fenced in. When it gets colder we don't keep it open so much. They all sleep indoors, and often in bed with us. So we often sleep 7 to a bed since we have 5 dogs. All of them are purebreds. It's a lot of work to take care of them and clean up after them, but the rewards far outweigh the work.

Lady - Pitbull (F)
Bella - English Bulldog (F)
Caoimhe (pronounced "Kayva") - Chihuahua (F)
Beaner, Clover - Chihuahua (M)

We also have two female birds. A cockatiel named Baby (hers) and a conure named Apple (mine).

I also currently have 17 rats. 11 males and 6 females.

We're one camel away from being able to charge admission.

We already know you have a Zoo - I doubt I'd ever have that many pets in my lifetime lol.