Register Now
StaceyPowers

What book universe would make a good open world game universe?

As mentioned before my favorite book universe is the Malazan Book of the Fallen. So I'd also prefer to see that in game. It's a vast and diverse world with rich history and dozens of races, beasts and myths. And magic that is not just some supernatural mumbo jumbo but has actual rules and is an integral part of the world.

This series of books represented true equality without effort since its first publication. I'd make it compulsory reading to anyone posing as a progressive so they can learn what is an actual post racist / sexist society.

The Stand, by Stephen King. The general gist is a superflu virus named 'Captain Trips' wipes out about 99.4% of humanity, and the story focusses on two factions vying for survival. One is led by Mother Abigail with the 'good' faction, and another is led by Randal Flagg, who is a recurring character in King's universe as a sort of Satan archetype. The only problem with this is Tom Clancy's The Division hasn't left much wiggle room for this kind of setting.

I suppose one could maybe turn King's town of Castle Rock into something of a world akin to Deadly Premonition, but how one ties in Needful Things with Uncle Otto's Truck, i've no idea. It would take an extremely talented development studio to not turn the references and events into masturbation.

6 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

The Stand, by Stephen King. The general gist is a superflu virus named 'Captain Trips' wipes out about 99.4% of humanity, and the story focusses on two factions vying for survival. One is led by Mother Abigail with the 'good' faction, and another is led by Randal Flagg, who is a recurring character in King's universe as a sort of Satan archetype. The only problem with this is Tom Clancy's The Division hasn't left much wiggle room for this kind of setting.

I suppose one could maybe turn King's town of Castle Rock into something of a world akin to Deadly Premonition, but how one ties in Needful Things with Uncle Otto's Truck, i've no idea. It would take an extremely talented development studio to not turn the references and events into masturbation.

I rather not have anything by Stephen King become a game, that would be cursed XD. Also it would scare me in this pandemic.

I think someone should just copy the Arkham formula but use X-Men instead of Batman. Have character swap points like they did with Catwoman, and open up the possibility of co-op play. Maybe you need certain characters to open up certain areas, and you need to unlock/rescue/recruit them in the same way Batman would acquire new gadgets. Instead of a Batmobile, you get the Blackbird. Shit like that.

4 hours ago, Empire said:

I think someone should just copy the Arkham formula but use X-Men instead of Batman. Have character swap points like they did with Catwoman, and open up the possibility of co-op play. Maybe you need certain characters to open up certain areas, and you need to unlock/rescue/recruit them in the same way Batman would acquire new gadgets. Instead of a Batmobile, you get the Blackbird. Shit like that.

That must be an interesting game really. What about adding some Marvel heroes from avengers, and some from fantastic four too. That will really be a good mixup overall. 😊

Edited by Razor1911

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

There are rumors of an open-world Harry Potter game but until we actually get some kind of confirmation, the Harry Potter books have lots of potential as an open-world franchise.

Yeah - I actually think that it's going to offer a sense of uniqueness with the kind of characters we'd see in the game ; also spells and modding would be cool. 

19 hours ago, killamch89 said:

There are rumors of an open-world Harry Potter game but until we actually get some kind of confirmation, the Harry Potter books have lots of potential as an open-world franchise.

I won't buy anything Harry Potter related. JK Rowling being so anti-transgender makes me sick. Since I'm part of the LGBTQ+ community, I'm boycotting anything and everything that comes from her, regardless of what it is. It has absolutely no chance whatsoever of coming into my house.

Edited by The Blackangel

12 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I won't buy anything Harry Potter related. JK Rowling being so anti-transgender makes me sick. Since I'm part of the LGBTQ+ community, I'm boycotting anything and everything that comes from her, regardless of what it is. It has absolutely no chance whatsoever of coming into my house.

Damn - you sure do hate JK Rowling and everything they stand for. I do understand that it kinda sucks with the anti-transgender  stance of JK Rowling and some people wouldn't be comfortable with it.