Register Now
StaceyPowers

What video game class/specialization best represents you as a person?

Mine would probably be Bard, and not the kind everyone wants in their MMO that does vIaBlE damage and buffing. I mean the kind that only writes uplifting verse and likes to be well-read upon lore of a subject. Playing bass guitar (however badly) also helps with the class image. I am essentially a walking version of the Bless spell. Go me.

12 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

The drunken stumbling villager

In D&D 5th Edition there is such a subclass for the Monk named 'the Way of the Drunken Master', which obviously comes from its inspiration back in 2nd Edition, the film of the same name. There's also Brewmaster Monks in Warcraft. That style is one of my favourites, but alas, I don't drink myself (though I do stumble because I've got two left feet.)

10 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Mine would probably be Bard, and not the kind everyone wants in their MMO that does vIaBlE damage and buffing. I mean the kind that only writes uplifting verse and likes to be well-read upon lore of a subject. Playing bass guitar (however badly) also helps with the class image. I am essentially a walking version of the Bless spell. Go me.

In D&D 5th Edition there is such a subclass for the Monk named 'the Way of the Drunken Master', which obviously comes from its inspiration back in 2nd Edition, the film of the same name. There's also Brewmaster Monks in Warcraft. That style is one of my favourites, but alas, I don't drink myself (though I do stumble because I've got two left feet.)

I like both of those!!! This is the first I've heard of it. Looks like both techniques are used so enemies underestimate them. Brewmasters 'absorb and stagger damage.' Yep, that's about right. I would like to see those styles in action. lol

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I like both of those!!! This is the first I've heard of it. Looks like both techniques are used so enemies underestimate them. Brewmasters 'absorb and stagger damage.' Yep, that's about right. I would like to see those styles in action. lol

The idea of staggering damage is delaying the full amount over time. Say you take 1000 points of damage; staggering would spread it over the course of five seconds, ergo you'd take 200 damage per second. It's quite controverisal within the WoW community, but it gives your healers measurable time to keep you alive.

21 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

The idea of staggering damage is delaying the full amount over time. Say you take 1000 points of damage; staggering would spread it over the course of five seconds, ergo you'd take 200 damage per second. It's quite controverisal within the WoW community, but it gives your healers measurable time to keep you alive.

I like that idea of staggering damage. I don't see how it would be any more controversial than a protective shield, or any other ability. A good player would know how to defeat a foe with any ability as part of the challenge. 

On 8/17/2021 at 3:05 PM, Withywarlock said:

That's a pretty broken ability if you ask me - I'd like that if I was on the receiving end of that damage but as the DPS, I'd be infuriated.

I would say either a rogue or ranger. IRL I'm extremely skilled at hiding, attacking without being seen, and general thieving skills. I learned things like that as a kid, and can still use all of those skills today. My ass isn't glued to this chair, but I can't get out of it for long. But when I do, I can blend in with any surroundings. These are skills that are generally things you would consider a ranger or rogue to possess. I'm not saying they're good skills to have. I have others that can make me a bit of a danger. But none that I'm going to get into here.

TL/DR - Rogue and/or ranger.

10 hours ago, killamch89 said:

That's a pretty broken ability if you ask me - I'd like that if I was on the receiving end of that damage but as the DPS, I'd be infuriated.

It's an ability that's used by the Tank role, specifically for player versus environment (PvE) content, rather than player versus player modes. Otherwise yeah, in PvP it would require quite a few DPS players going above the stagger threshold (as it doesn't reduce all incoming damage, only a certain amount), and it has a cooldown and cost as well I think. That's why, in response to @Reality vs Adventure, this ability is controversial. Many players believe the amount is not enough, or the cooldown is too long, or the cost is too great. I haven't followed Brewmaster Monk closely enough to say.

Edited by Withywarlock