Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

52 House democrats from Texas have arrest warrants for leaving state to protest voting restriction bill

It's an ugly situation now. Texas is among many other states trying to pass voting restriction bills, and the state has proposed some of the harshest voting restrictions seen yet. So democrats fled the state to break quorum to prevent the bill from being passed. Now the Texas governor has a second special session to pass ridiculous anti critical race theory education bill to add more restrictions of what was already previously passed, and so the democrats refuse to return because if they do, then the bill will get passed just for their presence. So now the Texas supreme court issued arrest warrants for all 52 of them to bring them back to the House. The republicans even propose locking the doors and holding the democrats in the House building however long it takes to pass the bills. Breaking quorum is not illegal and has been done in other instances in the past from politicians on both sides. So this urgency to pass voting restriction and indoctrinating education bills, willing to block salaries of democratic politicians, willingness to arrest constituents, shows you how dangerous this country has become. 

Edited by Reality vs Adventure

Those Democrats who left abandoned their duties that the voters expected them to complete so they're in the wrong. They still got paid? Who is allowed to get paid and not do the work or get reprimanded? There should be consequences for those who choose to not work and that includes politicians.

1 minute ago, Lämmchen said:

Those Democrats who left abandoned their duties that the voters expected them to complete so they're in the wrong. They still got paid? Who is allowed to get paid and not do the work or get reprimanded? There should be consequences for those who choose to not work and that includes politicians.

And are those consequences to arrest them? Breaking quorum is not illegal. They didn't break any law and have the right to do so. Civil rights groups are looking into this to see if their arrest warrants broke any laws. The Texas governor now is proposing a bill to ban any future walkouts or breaking quorum. At the end of the day, none of this is gonna matter because eventually they do have to return to work and the bill will get passed anyways. But this is a desperate situation to protect voting rights in Texas. And I know you don't care about voting rights. But those of us who do care, we are running out of breathing room to protect democracy. 

1 minute ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

And are those consequences to arrest them? Breaking quorum is not illegal. They didn't break any law and have the right to do so. Civil rights groups are looking into this to see if their arrest warrants broke any laws. The Texas governor now is proposing a bill to ban any future walkouts or breaking quorum. At the end of the day, none of this is gonna matter because eventually they do have to return to work and the bill will get passed anyways. But this is a desperate situation to protect voting rights in Texas. And I know you don't care about voting rights. But those of us who do care, we are running out of breathing room to protect democracy. 

I don't live in Texas so I can't tell you why they are choosing to arrest them.

As for voting rights, it more about voting security for what they want to get through in the legislature. They aren't denying people the right to vote, but affording the people the right to a fair vote without cheating.

Just now, Lämmchen said:

I don't live in Texas so I can't tell you why they are choosing to arrest them.

As for voting rights, it more about voting security for what they want to get through in the legislature. They aren't denying people the right to vote, but affording the people the right to a fair vote without cheating.

If this is all about not cheating, then why decrease the number of early voting days? Why decrease the number of hours to vote in populated areas? Why decrease the hours on weekends? Why decrease the number of polling places? Why refuse them water while waiting all day in line? None of these things have to do with voting security. If they cared about election integrity, they would protect any potential hacking. And I remember when trump was president, democrats passed bills in the House to protect voting security against hacking and republicans refused to pass the bills. 

So all these voting restriction bills are a sham with no proof of election fraud. But we do have proof of trump telling the DOJ to just declare the election corrupt. And asking Georgia officials to 'find votes.' We all know these bills are a way to overcrowd large population areas that are diverse and liberal and cause chaos at the polls. This is not new. This same tactic was used in the Jim Crow days to make it hard for blacks to vote. And that is the real reasoning behind these bills, it is simply to make it hard to vote in populated areas where the majority is liberal and more ethnic diversity. 

4 hours ago, Lämmchen said:

If it was about voting security they would increase the number of polling places. They would increase the number of hours to vote and divide it into shifts. If it was about voting security they would increase the hours on weekends. If it was about voting security they would allow water to be passed out to voters waiting in line. It has nothing to do with voter security. It is about voter control. They control the voters, they control the votes. Also the polling places that have been removed have all, coincidentally enough, been in blue/liberal/Democratic areas, whereas the ones in red/nazi/bigot/republiKKKlan areas haven't been affected.

Edited by The Blackangel

I'm glad the bill passed. For those who insist there was NO election fraud at all haven't been paying attention. There WAS election fraud, just not as extreme as some people say. But there is documented election fraud from the 2020 election...it's just that CNN doesn't want to air it.

Increasing polling places means needing volunteers to run it. There is a lack of volunteers all over to keep polling locations open and we need to encourage the Millennials to start volunteering more to work the polls. No one is prohibiting voters from voting. Wanting secure elections is not prohibiting people from voting...unless they are illegals who shouldn't be voting. Or people who want to vote multiple times.

3 hours ago, Lämmchen said:

I'm glad the bill passed. For those who insist there was NO election fraud at all haven't been paying attention. There WAS election fraud, just not as extreme as some people say. But there is documented election fraud from the 2020 election...it's just that CNN doesn't want to air it.

Increasing polling places means needing volunteers to run it. There is a lack of volunteers all over to keep polling locations open and we need to encourage the Millennials to start volunteering more to work the polls. No one is prohibiting voters from voting. Wanting secure elections is not prohibiting people from voting...unless they are illegals who shouldn't be voting. Or people who want to vote multiple times.

Please, show us all proof of election fraud. Show me where there is a lack of volunteers to keep polling locations open. Oh, you mean death threats that republicans constantly send to election workers? You are completely delusional if you think they get rid of polling places because of a lack of volunteers. That is a new one. Your ass must hurt from pulling that load out of it. Let's be specific with Texas now. The state has some major cities with Houston the 4th largest in the country. To decrease the number of polling sites because there aren't enough volunteers is either a blatant lie or an ignorant fib. You are religious right? Pray to your god on what he thinks is right about our situation in politics. Ask sincere heartfelt questions about if what you support is morally right. Pay attention to his answers. Just pray on it is all I can say. Hopefully one day we can see eye to eye. Ask God for wisdom. Pray with all you are. Don't pay attention to anybody for a little while. Just pay attention to your inner self and God. An honest prayer could actually save this country. I have found a link in Harris county which is the Houston area and how the polling sites are divided and who got more sites and who got a decreased number of sites. Explain to me why Republican districts that are dominantly white got increased polling sites, and democratic districts with diverse ethnicity got decreased polling sites. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/23/texas-voting-polling-restrictions/

6 hours ago, Lämmchen said:

I'm not an American and don't live in America, so this is not coming from a political bias, just from an observers perspective.

I wonder if you would still be saying there was election fraud if Trump had won. Somehow, I doubt it even though the election happened under same conditions. Do even have the slightest idea just how unprofessional, disrespectful and flat out childish that narrative is? It is literally a spoiled brat whining and moaning because he didn't get his way. This would be completely ridiculous if, for example, a perspective prom queen threw a hissy fit because somebody else won the crown, so how much more ridiculous is it when Trump and his supporters are behaving this way over an election? Given they way that Trump and his supporters have behaved since they lost the election as grown men and woman, frankly they should be embarrassed. And you, the one pushing this narrative, have the balls to have dig at millennials over this? Like it's younger peoples fault when it's Trump and his supports behaving like spoiled brats? I wish that you could see just how ridiculous this looks.

Edited by Shagger

4 hours ago, Shagger said:

I'm not an American and don't live in America, so this is not coming from a political bias, just from an observers perspective.

I wonder if you would still be saying there was election fraud if Trump had won. Somehow, I doubt it even though the election happened under same conditions. Do even have the slightest idea just how unprofessional, disrespectful and flat out childish that narrative is? It is literally a spoiled brat whining and moaning because he didn't get his way. This would be completely ridiculous if, for example, a perspective prom queen threw a hissy fit because somebody else won the crown, so how much more ridiculous is it when Trump and his supporters are behaving this way over an election? Given they way that Trump and his supporters have behaved since they lost the election as grown men and woman, frankly they should be embarrassed. And you, the one pushing this narrative, have the balls to have dig at millennials over this? Like it's younger peoples fault when it's Trump and his supports behaving like spoiled brats? I wish that you could see just how ridiculous this looks.

Very well put. Thank you @Shagger

On 8/13/2021 at 12:37 PM, Shagger said:

I will say there is election fraud in every election! LOL  I am saying that because it's true. Now, how expansive the fraud has become is something that we'll probably never know about.

On 8/13/2021 at 11:46 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Please, show us all proof of election fraud. Show me where there is a lack of volunteers to keep polling locations open. Oh, you mean death threats that republicans constantly send to election workers? You are completely delusional if you think they get rid of polling places because of a lack of volunteers. That is a new one. Your ass must hurt from pulling that load out of it. Let's be specific with Texas now. The state has some major cities with Houston the 4th largest in the country. To decrease the number of polling sites because there aren't enough volunteers is either a blatant lie or an ignorant fib. You are religious right? Pray to your god on what he thinks is right about our situation in politics. Ask sincere heartfelt questions about if what you support is morally right. Pay attention to his answers. Just pray on it is all I can say. Hopefully one day we can see eye to eye. Ask God for wisdom. Pray with all you are. Don't pay attention to anybody for a little while. Just pay attention to your inner self and God. An honest prayer could actually save this country. I have found a link in Harris county which is the Houston area and how the polling sites are divided and who got more sites and who got a decreased number of sites. Explain to me why Republican districts that are dominantly white got increased polling sites, and democratic districts with diverse ethnicity got decreased polling sites. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/23/texas-voting-polling-restrictions/

If I give you the links to the sites that show election fraud you'll probably say that they're biased and won't believe it. Am I right in this?

If you aren't aware how desperately that poll workers are needed than you aren't paying attention. Some polls in my own area opened late because workers refused to show up and they had to scramble to get replacements. Even where I used to live this type of thing was big news so I know it's not just in one area.

24 minutes ago, Lämmchen said:

If I give you the links to the sites that show election fraud you'll probably say that they're biased and won't believe it. Am I right in this?

I can give you twice as many links to sites that show Russia's involvement in the 2016 election as well, but you're just going to call me a liar.

And even though you will deny it on these forums, I'm 100% positive that you were either at the Capitol on January 6th or at the very least thought it was a beautiful thing done by "true patriots".

Edited by The Blackangel