Register Now
StaceyPowers

How do you think video game themes will evolve over the coming years?

I don't think videogames have evolved since the early 90s. They still have the same basic principles. Apart from mmo-s there hasn't been any new type of game. And arguably mmos are not a new type of game either, they are dumb rpgs but you share the game with random other players, which is a negative to me.

But I reject the premise that the world is changing fast. If you look at what we predicted 2020 will be just 30-40 years ago, we are nowhere near that point. In fact I think life in general has evolved very little since I'm alive. Even though I started out behind the iron curtain. As much as things changed they also stayed the same. People also say the world has changed when 911 happened, but I don't think it did. Or now due to the pandemic? Not much has changed for me.

Edited by m76

14 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

If it moves from FPS to RPGs back in the old days I be fine with that, or back to platform games. 

Anything but battle royale games, I'm sick and tired of them. Most of them are unoriginal and all they are is massive cash grabs and hardly anything interesting in the way of content.

14 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Anything but battle royale games, I'm sick and tired of them. Most of them are unoriginal and all they are is massive cash grabs and hardly anything interesting in the way of content.

That differs man. I do like battle royale games a lot. Though, I do agree that they have massive cash grab items, but still those are not compulsory for you to buy. You can still play the game for free.(most of the battle royale games are free).

10 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

That differs man. I do like battle royale games a lot. Though, I do agree that they have massive cash grab items, but still those are not compulsory for you to buy. You can still play the game for free.(most of the battle royale games are free).

The thing with most battle royale games is that they tend to be a clone of either Fortnite or PUBG or a combination of both with a bit of changes here and there. 

Art and entertainment always reflects the society and culture. The gaming world is a mixture of ideas because the industry is spread out globally. You can grab any game from the shelf and most likely will have been developed in another country. But the westernized world has a big influence in its themes too. Besides the obvious things going on in the world today with different movements, growing hostility, and a pandemic, all of which will be reflected somehow; and I think a lot of that is reflected in TLOU series. There will probably be less defined villains as there becomes mass confusion in the world. It was always easier to have that specific villain that we all can agree to destroy but as the waters get muddied, the villain becomes less defined. That will probably be a growing genre, but probably won’t ever replace the typical ‘boss’ approach to villains. We can sure expect lots of apocalyptic games which I love. I don’t see why that would slow down anytime soon. Escapism will become even more prevalent. That will bring a lot of fantasy, probably dark fantasy.

On 8/12/2021 at 7:32 PM, StaceyPowers said:

The world is changing fast, and in alarming ways. Do you think that themes in video games will reflect those changes more and more? Which ones do you think they will focus on the most?

Personally, I don't really know how it may be but it's pretty much going to take the same pace as it used before getting to the point where it is now.