Register Now
StaceyPowers

What types of weather do video games do best/worst?

Rain and fog are done extremely well in RDR2. They're a pain in the ass at times, but as real as, (sometimes moreso than) rain and fog IRL. Also the blizzard at the beginning was done extremely well too. Granted, I'm a classic gamer, so I don't have the biggest base for comparison, but the game is just extremely realistic in these regards.

Well, the best of the best realism weather that I have seen is mostly flights sim, like P3D or even the new MSFS2020 - however, the live weather for MSFS2020 is broken. Yet ETS and ATS rain just so better more then ever. I say I dislike the live weather if it does not work well. 

I think dust/sandstorms are done the worst because all they do is make your line of vision limited and make everything in front of you disappear. In real sandstorms, even the most drastic ones, you can see at least the outline of some things in front of you.

Fog, has been done extremely well since the mid nineties when the first decent 3D Accelerators came out.

The worst while not exactly weather, i think is darkness. In most games you can either see clear as day or nothing at all when it is supposed to be dark. It just never feels right.

They also struggle with snow, there were some strides in this regard recently but it is still not good enough.

I consider good weather replication in a video game to be about gameplay effects more than just graphics. Metal Gear Solid has handled dust, fog and especially rain brilliantly. Walking indoors from wet weather leaves wet prints that enemies react to, turns soil into mud that leaves tracks for both you and enemies, but you can also use rain to your advantage. Rain patter drowns out the sound of your movement making it harder for enemies to detect you as you sneak up on them, it's astonishing how much attention to detail they put into it.

Edited by Shagger

21 hours ago, Shagger said:

I consider good weather replication in a video game to be about gameplay effects more than just graphics. Metal Gear Solid has handled dust, fog and especially rain brilliantly. Walking indoors from wet weather leaves wet prints that enemies react to, turns soil into mud that leaves tracks for both you and enemies, but you can also use rain to your advantage. Rain patter drowns out the sound of your movement making it harder for enemies to detect you as sneak up on them, it's astonishing how much attention to detail they put it.

And dust storms were the same thing except they also limited your opponent's visibility as well so they couldn't see or hear you so easily.

On 8/12/2021 at 3:52 PM, killamch89 said:

I think dust/sandstorms are done the worst because all they do is make your line of vision limited and make everything in front of you disappear. In real sandstorms, even the most drastic ones, you can see at least the outline of some things in front of you.

I'm a fan of sandstorms. I love the outside factor you have to deal with. Nature doesn't care if you are toe to toe about to fight and a dust storm heads in your direction. Yeah, I like to fight in the sandstorm. It's chaotic. Specks of red here and there, shine of a blade, sand, blade, sand, blood, run, I can't see, swing baby swing, don't trip, swing for your life, trip, swing, fall, oh shit! My enemy fell on me. Stab mf stab. Stab stab stab. Get up. swing. blades shine through the storm. run, where? 

10 hours ago, killamch89 said:

And dust storms were the same thing except they also limited your opponent's visibility as well so they couldn't see or hear you so easily.

Hmm. I would go with rainy weather. I don't have any particular reason, I just love the reality of those rain drops and 3d sound effects. Specially in PUBG game. 😊

16 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I'm a fan of sandstorms. I love the outside factor you have to deal with. Nature doesn't care if you are toe to toe about to fight and a dust storm heads in your direction. Yeah, I like to fight in the sandstorm. It's chaotic. Specks of red here and there, shine of a blade, sand, blade, sand, blood, run, I can't see, swing baby swing, don't trip, swing for your life, trip, swing, fall, oh shit! My enemy fell on me. Stab mf stab. Stab stab stab. Get up. swing. blades shine through the storm. run, where? 

I wish more games would implement a dynamic weather system like the one in MGS V - it makes even the most mundane situations very unpredictable because your enemy can also set traps for you during this kind of weather so you also have to be very careful.