Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why are retro games trending?

Those of us that grew up on them that still play them talk about them often, and fondly. Classic gamers typically have no interest in going beyond a certain point, with an exception or two. People hear us talking about these games, and their curiosity gets peaked. Some check it out to figure out what the hell we're talking about. Others check it out to laugh at us for playing 2, 4, and 8 bit games. Whereas they're playing lifelike games. It's what brought out the flashback craze. Curiosity by modern gamers. The big 3 heard about the curiosity, made a mini system with roughly 30 games installed on it, and sold them. It's a shameful money grab, but it made them big bucks anyway. Obviously the NES flashback runs better than a 35 year old NES, but those of us that are 80's children and grew up on systems like Atari, Colecovision, and NES often prefer the old ones for nostalgic reasons. And the majority of us want to puke at the mere thought of a flashback console.

I'm a classic gamer because those are the games that I have always enjoyed and developers weren't afraid to be unique with their games. Games like A Boy And His Blob haven't been seen since. There is no game on any disc system where you feed a blob jellybeans to turn it into things you need (ladder, umbrella, etc.) to help it get back to its home planet called Blobonia. Blaster Master had a couple piss poor sequels that flopped miserably. There were the classic beat 'em ups like Double Dragon that you don't see anymore. They have largely (if not completely) gone the way of the dodo in exchange for games like Mortal Kombat and other fighting games.

The individuality and uniqueness is what made those games so special. Nowadays everything is a sequel. There's no individuality, and developers are scared to take a chance with something new and off the wall completely different and unique. That is largely part of the reason classic gamers are turned off by the new and current stuff. I won't lie, I play on my Switch constantly. It's great to have something that powerful that is portable. But I also play on my Game Boy. When I'm home I do play RDR2 a hell of a lot. But I spend an immensely greater amount of time on my NES, SNES, and N64 than I do on RDR2. That's about the only modern game I even play. I have 2 or 3 others that aren't on Switch that I play, but that's it. They're mainly system exclusives (GoW for example) but I will never give up what I grew up on. One thing that I look back on fondly is that I saved up literally every penny I could get to buy myself a SNES. I wanted one so desperately that I saved up for over a year. And when I finally brought that thing home, I couldn't get off of it.

6 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Those of us that grew up on them that still play them talk about them often, and fondly. Classic gamers typically have no interest in going beyond a certain point, with an exception or two. People hear us talking about these games, and their curiosity gets peaked. Some check it out to figure out what the hell we're talking about. Others check it out to laugh at us for playing 2, 4, and 8 bit games. Whereas they're playing lifelike games. It's what brought out the flashback craze. Curiosity by modern gamers. The big 3 heard about the curiosity, made a mini system with roughly 30 games installed on it, and sold them. It's a shameful money grab, but it made them big bucks anyway. Obviously the NES flashback runs better than a 35 year old NES, but those of us that are 80's children and grew up on systems like Atari, Colecovision, and NES often prefer the old ones for nostalgic reasons. And the majority of us want to puke at the mere thought of a flashback console.

I'm a classic gamer because those are the games that I have always enjoyed and developers weren't afraid to be unique with their games. Games like A Boy And His Blob haven't been seen since. There is no game on any disc system where you feed a blob jellybeans to turn it into things you need (ladder, umbrella, etc.) to help it get back to its home planet called Blobonia. Blaster Master had a couple piss poor sequels that flopped miserably. There were the classic beat 'em ups like Double Dragon that you don't see anymore. They have largely (if not completely) gone the way of the dodo in exchange for games like Mortal Kombat and other fighting games.

The individuality and uniqueness is what made those games so special. Nowadays everything is a sequel. There's no individuality, and developers are scared to take a chance with something new and off the wall completely different and unique. That is largely part of the reason classic gamers are turned off by the new and current stuff. I won't lie, I play on my Switch constantly. It's great to have something that powerful that is portable. But I also play on my Game Boy. When I'm home I do play RDR2 a hell of a lot. But I spend an immensely greater amount of time on my NES, SNES, and N64 than I do on RDR2. That's about the only modern game I even play. I have 2 or 3 others that aren't on Switch that I play, but that's it. They're mainly system exclusives (GoW for example) but I will never give up what I grew up on. One thing that I look back on fondly is that I saved up literally every penny I could get to buy myself a SNES. I wanted one so desperately that I saved up for over a year. And when I finally brought that thing home, I couldn't get off of it.

Not going to lie, I remembered when games wouldn't work and I had to take out the cartridge and blow inside it to hopefully get it to work. I always remember Duck Hunt because that and Mario for the original NES got me hooked on gaming and my dad used to play them together (RIP dad).

17 hours ago, m76 said:

Are we talking about retro inspired games or actual retro games? Because I think new games that just try to look like they are from the 80s or early 90s, are seriously uncool.

Actual classic games. Not new games that were inspired by classic games.

Edited by The Blackangel

23 hours ago, m76 said:

Are we talking about retro inspired games or actual retro games? Because I think new games that just try to look like they are from the 80s or early 90s, are seriously uncool.

I think she's referring to the actual classic games - Not the knockoffs trying to imitate them.

Because retro games are good. Great, Amazing of some of them. And somepeople love to experience games from all eras.  it's about pick-up-and-play simplicity. I love old games becasue i can just sit down and play them. No cutscenes, no story, just gameplay and a solid challenge. Sometimes I just want to play a game.

On 8/21/2021 at 5:11 PM, Empire said:

Because retro games are good. Great, Amazing of some of them. And somepeople love to experience games from all eras.  it's about pick-up-and-play simplicity. I love old games becasue i can just sit down and play them. No cutscenes, no story, just gameplay and a solid challenge. Sometimes I just want to play a game.

That's not only it either - they just work right out of the box without needing a bunch of patches long after their release to make them a playable game.

On 8/20/2021 at 8:54 PM, killamch89 said:

Not going to lie, I remembered when games wouldn't work and I had to take out the cartridge and blow inside it to hopefully get it to work. I always remember Duck Hunt because that and Mario for the original NES got me hooked on gaming and my dad used to play them together (RIP dad).

If you never had that experience of blowing your game cartilage or even having to hit it a little bit to pick up, then you never really played those games enough. 

Ps. May your Daddy's soul rest in Peace ✌️ mate. 

I would've thought the reason they're trending is because no sod can get the new consoles! 🤣

In all seriousness, there's no time like the present. Coronavirus has had an impact, however small, on game and hardware production and distribution. I was tempted to write an article about how you can't get many new and decent games, so you might as well dig out those ones that're gathering dust in the attic. Wii Sports is just as fun now as it was all those years ago, and I'm sure a great many games sitting in the loft are too.

On 8/21/2021 at 11:11 PM, Empire said:

Yeah - It offers more realness and a better sense of connection unlike what we are familiar with now.