Register Now
Joshua Farrell

House Network Cloud/Backup Servers

Do any of you run your own personal house cloud or server, that you can store things off of your computer, and still can access at any time? If so, what do you have running it?

I have a couple of hard drives attached to my network hub, for network attached storage, but it doesn't hold more than 2 terabytes of space. Have some basic things on it that I want to keep, just incase my desktop attached hardrives go bad on me.

On 8/21/2021 at 5:58 AM, Joshua Farrell said:

Do any of you run your own personal house cloud or server, that you can store things off of your computer, and still can access at any time? If so, what do you have running it?

I have a couple of hard drives attached to my network hub, for network attached storage, but it doesn't hold more than 2 terabytes of space. Have some basic things on it that I want to keep, just incase my desktop attached hardrives go bad on me.

Personally, I think that you have set up a good cloud system to save your files and I'm very sure that you can readjust to increase its memory capacity. For now, I'm making use of Backup servers. 

21 hours ago, skyfire said:

Found pretty interesting video on the topic of NAS. 

Wow, this is very interesting and quite informative as well. I'm going to take time to study it and see how possible it is applying the knowledge. 

25 minutes ago, Empire said:

Nope, I have google cloud backup that I can save things too 😉 Also I still do the old ways of backing up to external drives. I keep it low cost rather then paying for servers and hardware to do so.

Google cloud backup is basically what I make use of as well, although I do have external hard drives as well to support it in case it's necessary for use. 

23 hours ago, Heatman said:

Google cloud backup is basically what I make use of as well, although I do have external hard drives as well to support it in case it's necessary for use. 

It's good for Documents, but other then that, It's not that large pf a space that you do get for free in your account. Not like paying for it. I tend to use it for exporting too and from PC LOL

42 minutes ago, Empire said:

It's good for Documents, but other then that, It's not that large pf a space that you do get for free in your account. Not like paying for it. I tend to use it for exporting too and from PC LOL

Yeah, you're correct and for the fact that it's still useful to me in some aspect is what matters most. And having external drives works out for me as well. 

17 hours ago, Heatman said:

There are quite some mixed reviews about Nextcloud on TrustPilot.com. Some said they lost all their files at one point. 

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/nextcloud.com

Trustpilot reviews aren't necessarily accurate because sometimes the people who are using the software don't set it up correctly and suffer loses as a result.

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Trustpilot reviews aren't necessarily accurate because sometimes the people who are using the software don't set it up correctly and suffer loses as a result.

You may be correct or not but just try as much as possible to verify before making use of their services to avoid any regrets in the future 

On 8/28/2021 at 7:13 AM, killamch89 said:

There are people who pay their users to do positive reviews about them on such platforms. so yeah definitely not trustable. 

1 hour ago, skyfire said:

There are people who pay their users to do positive reviews about them on such platforms. so yeah definitely not trustable. 

Seriously - like how is a lie worth? Why would people lie on reviews which they know would put other people's decisions in jeopardy?