Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Playstation 4 sucks

My system says it can't access the system storage and the main screen won't come up. I looked it up and the hard drive is no good. I have only used this system for 8 months. And that was after another ps4 system I had to send to the shop. I still have that one, but I don't trust it. That's why I have been using this other brand new one that is no good after 8 months. I done with this shit. I hate technology. I'm retiring from gaming. Toodaloo

That might work. I haven't contacted playstation support yet to see if it still has warranty. Seriously though, I bought two systems because I was afraid one would fail on me. Didn't expect both to go screwball back to back. The other one was fixed though, at least for now. Maybe I get a few more months out of it. That's if all my saves transfer ok. If not I'm gonna burn it all in a pile and mail it to Sony. Are they using child labor to put these things together? Is someone in the desert building electronic parts in the middle of a sandstorm? Is some drunk person drinking wine on a curb asking for change to buy more and goes back home to fulfill his Sony contract to build these systems? I'm not a pessimist for no reason and I don't like being right when I feel I have to buy two of every electronic because one or both will fail. I don't see a point spending hundreds on something that won't last a year. That's my unfortunate experience. 

1 hour ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

What kind of hard drive is best. A 5400 RAM?

7200 RPM would work fine as well, as long as it's not a thick profile (9.5mm or less).  If you wanted to boost your load times you could also go with a 2.5" SATA SSD.

Edited by Crazycrab

I've got all my saves good to go on the other system. All worked out except I lost all data for one game. So now I'm set again, but for how long? I no longer trust this system. It's already been to the shop once. But once this one breaks down in 6 months, then I'll get a new hard drive for my other system to carry on for another 6 months. So I give myself 1 year of play time out of these two systems, then who knows. Now I feel like I have to stop playing around and just finish the stories on my games because I no longer have trust in these systems. 

Hardware fails, it's the unfortunate reality of technology.  I think you wound up with two bad consoles, but that is not indicative of the quality of the PS4, necessarily.  It's unfortunate both of them have failed you, and unfortunate you had to do a drive swap, but sadly not unheard of in the realm of hard drives, especially platter-based drives with moving components.  That's why SSDs and nvme's in particular have been on the rise for a decade or so.  They're just less likely to fail.  I hope you have good luck with this new drive in place!

On 8/25/2021 at 9:54 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I'm wondering between Seagate Firecuda. It's an SSHD hybrid with 5400 RPM

Or Western Digital Black HDD with 7200 RPM

Both around the same price. I'm aiming toward Western Digital because I don't know what a hybrid is. 

https://www.ps4storage.com/best-ps4-internal-hdd-upgrades/

A SSHD hybrid is a combination of a normal hard drive and an SSD.  They are (or at least attempt to be) a best of both sorta thing.  Faster than a standard HDD speed while still maintaining mass storage at a reasonable price.

In my opinion... Their not really worth it, especially in a console that doesn't have the software to make the best of it. You don't get the faster speeds consistently because the data would have to be stored on the SS portion which is not guaranteed.

Edited by Crazycrab

Unfortunately, it looks like you just ran out of a bit of luck. Even with the PlayStation 5, a few users ended up with ones that had some issues but the majority of them were fine. I've had my PS4 since 2014 and it's never had an issue. Warranty or returning it to the retailer you bought from is the best option.

Sounds like the hard drive gave out sadly, I’ve never had that problem since when I got my PS4 I just popped it open and added a bigger drive in there. The same happens with other consoles and PCs, but at least it’s super easy to replace it on your own and legit takes only a few minutes, a USB, and the understanding that a majority of your saved game data is gone unless you have PS Uploads enabled. 

Are you sure you bought the PS4 console from the right source? Most of the time the consoles sold out aren't the original order, they are fairly used consoles with internal problems, that's why booking from the e-comnerce store or lucrative offline store is the best and not from people people we don't know about. 

12 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Are you sure you bought the PS4 console from the right source? Most of the time the consoles sold out aren't the original order, they are fairly used consoles with internal problems, that's why booking from the e-comnerce store or lucrative offline store is the best and not from people people we don't know about. 

Both were bought brand new in unopened box from two different ebay sellers with manufacture warranty from Sony. I don't buy garbage, unless of course the product itself turns out to be. 

3 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Both were bought brand new in unopened box from two different ebay sellers with manufacture warranty from Sony. I don't buy garbage, unless of course the product itself turns out to be. 

It's good as you've keeping real, I believe too you first watch the game's trailer before going on to make an 'order in order to avoid mistake of ordering garbage.