Register Now
Crazycrab

Release date for Horizon Forbidden West

The release date for Horizon Forbidden West has just been revealed at Gamescom:

The game was originally advertised to come out this year but it has been delayed to February 18 2022.  I've suspected that this would be delayed to Q1 2022 for quite a while but I didn't say anything because until now it was just speculation.

I'm actually kinda glad this was delayed, I wouldn't even mind if it was delayed a little longer. Considering that the first game was in development for 6 or 7 years, then after that they spent most of the rest of 2017 working on the DLC.  Then the less than 3 years since 2018 didn't seem like enough to me, especially with the pandemic.  I know that the sequel doesn't need as much time since the development tools and some of the assets are already made but still.

In addition to this they also revealed a performance patch for the PS5 version of Horizon Zero Dawn that unlocks 60FPS.

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/amp/horizon-forbidden-west-release-date-delayed-to-february-2022/

11 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

The release date for Horizon Forbidden West has just been revealed at Gamescom:

The game was originally advertised to come out this year but it has been delayed to February 18 2022.  I've suspected that this would be delayed to Q1 2022 for quite a while but I didn't say anything because until now it was just speculation.

I'm actually kinda glad this was delayed, I wouldn't even mind if it was delayed a little longer. Considering that the first game was in development for 6 or 7 years, then after that they spent most of the rest of 2017 working on the DLC.  Then the less than 3 years since 2018 didn't seem like enough to me, especially with the pandemic.  I know that the sequel doesn't need as much time since the development tools and some of the assets are already made but still.

In addition to this they also revealed a performance patch for the PS5 version of Horizon Zero Dawn that unlocks 60FPS.

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/amp/horizon-forbidden-west-release-date-delayed-to-february-2022/

Wow, that's awesome. I hope that I would have gotten my Playstation 5 before the game is released. Also, I hope the company don't renegade on the already released date. 

Good to know the release date. I'm not surprised nor particularly bothered by the coming out later than expected. I've spoken before about how it's a serious and mostly unspoken problem for game companies to announce release dates too early to greedily cash in on pre-orders before they know the game will be ready on time. With pre-orders for this starting in the beginning of September, around 5-6 months before the planned release date, Id say that's a fair balance. That's obviously not a guarantee that the game will come out polished and not be delayed again, but you can say Guerrilla are opening up pre-orders with enough certainty 5 months before launch.

29 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Good to know the release date. I'm not surprised nor particularly bothered by the coming out later than expected. I've spoken before about how it's a serious and mostly unspoken problem for game companies to announce release dates too early to greedily cash in on pre-orders before they know the game will be ready on time. With pre-orders for this starting in the beginning of September, around 5-6 months before the planned release date, Id say that's a fair balance. That's obviously not a guarantee that the game will come out polished and not be delayed again, but you can say Guerrilla are opening up pre-orders with enough certainty 5 months before launch.

I'm never really open to pre-ordering games but I must admit that the timing set up for the game pre-order and it's release seems fair enough. 

On 8/26/2021 at 8:58 AM, Shagger said:

Agreed - if only other companies such as CDPR would learn to delay the game until it's properly functioning and full polished. This is how companies maintain/gain more fans and build loyalty for their titles.

Just now, killamch89 said:

Agreed - if only other companies such as CDPR would learn to delay the game until it's properly functioning and full polished. This is how companies maintain/gain more fans and build loyalty for their titles.

Seriously, with what happened with Cyberpunk 2077, in as much as how things panned out, if the company had stick to what they were supposed to do, the game would have been a major hit. 

Everyone is talking about delaying a game so thats its not broken, but Im happy that this studio cares about its employees that they are in the best of health. Thats equally important, especially when theres high crunch and toxic work environments in the gaming industry.

51 minutes ago, Empire said:

Everyone is talking about delaying a game so thats its not broken, but Im happy that this studio cares about its employees that they are in the best of health. Thats equally important, especially when theres high crunch and toxic work environments in the gaming industry.

Seriously, it's a very good part of ethics from the company to look out for their employee not like those that are only after the money they would make not minding if the game is broken. 

On 8/29/2021 at 7:39 PM, Heatman said:

Seriously, with what happened with Cyberpunk 2077, in as much as how things panned out, if the company had stick to what they were supposed to do, the game would have been a major hit. 

Their CEO thought they could pull what every other gaming company normally do and get away with it. The problem is that up until that point CDPR had a spotless record when it came to the quality of their games but Cyberpunk literally destroyed their reputation. They can make all the promises they want but the damage has already been done.

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Their CEO thought they could pull what every other gaming company normally do and get away with it. The problem is that up until that point CDPR had a spotless record when it came to the quality of their games but Cyberpunk literally destroyed their reputation. They can make all the promises they want but the damage has already been done.

Yeah - it's what happens when you have ruined your good image in the eyes of the world. People tend to hold on much to one's errors or mistakes than the one's good deeds. 

20 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah - it's what happens when you have ruined your good image in the eyes of the world. People tend to hold on much to one's errors or mistakes than the one's good deeds. 

This is especially true when you usually set really high standards and make a mistake - no one will forget.

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

This is especially true when you usually set really high standards and make a mistake - no one will forget.

Yeah - it's actually happened to a few people whom I know in person. One betrayed his colleague trust and ever since then he's been trying to make up but once trust is gone, it's over. 

Pre-order's for Horizon Forbidden West just went live and I'm afraid I have some slightly shitty news If you want to to play cross gen. To play on PS4 and PS5 without buying a separate copy then you need to buy the Digital Deluxe, Collector's, or Regalla edition the cheapest of which is $10 extra and there will be no upgrade path from the standard edition further down the line.

I wouldn't actually complain about the Digital Deluxe on it's own, you get a reasonable amount for the $10 compared to other games but it's the principal that pisses me off.  The worst part is it seems like this will be Sony standard practice going forward.

It also gets me a little concerned about the game.  I mean if Sony are locking off cross gen and putting more content behind the pay walls of more expensive editions, then could they push their luck with something else?  Guerrilla have still kept quiet the game's new crafting system and the previous did have common, uncommon and legendary tiers in it's loot and weapon/outfit mods...

Edited by Crazycrab

2 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Pre-order's for Horizon Forbidden West just went live and I'm afraid I have some slightly shitty news If you want to to play cross gen. To play on PS4 and PS5 without buying a separate copy then you need to buy the Digital Deluxe, Collector's, or Regalla edition the cheapest of which is $10 extra and there will be no upgrade path from the standard edition further down the line.

I wouldn't actually complain about the Digital Deluxe on it's own, you get a reasonable amount for the $10 compared to other games but it's the principal that pisses me off.  The worst part is it seems like this will be Sony standard practice going forward.

It also gets me a little concerned about the game.  I mean if Sony are locking off cross gen and putting more content behind the pay walls of more expensive editions, then could they push their luck with something else?  Guerrilla have still kept quiet the game's new crafting system and the previous did have common, uncommon and legendary tiers in it's loot and weapon/outfit mods...

Your concerns are absolutely valid as Sony has been making some very questionable decisions in the last few years - very anti consumer ones at that so don't be surprised if they start locking things behind paywalls. They know Horizon is a major hit so they'll milk it for what it's worth.

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Your concerns are absolutely valid as Sony has been making some very questionable decisions in the last few years - very anti consumer ones at that so don't be surprised if they start locking things behind paywalls. They know Horizon is a major hit so they'll milk it for what it's worth.

Seriously - with anyone that they (Sony) got well, I must admit and appreciate their efforts because we hardly see games that are worth it now.