Register Now
Shagger

My Better Half Insisted We Buy These...

Why not, let us know if they are really good realism cook books 😜 I say it's money grapping, making people think it's Ohh gaming cooking book YEAHHHHHH 😛 

Most recipes be copy and pasted from other books I say anyway. 

4 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Oh come on, you know you love BlamCo Mac & Cheese, lightly irradiated with a dash of salt.

Well, whilst I don't share your nor @Empire's enthusiasm, I'll be sure to let everyone know what Salisbury Steak and Nuka Cola actually tastes like.

Let me also take the chance tell you all that you will eat a spider in you sleep at least once a year... Goodnight.

Edited by Shagger

5 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Well, whilst I don't share your nor @Empire's enthusiasm, I'll be sure to let everyone know what Salisbury Steak and Nuka Cola actually tastes like.

Let me also take the chance tell you all that you will eat a spider in you sleep at least once a year... Goodnight.

For the Fallout cookbook to be real, there has to be some sort of radioactive dish on the menu. It's not going to feel authentic without it...Although you could just go to Chernobyl and hunt the animals there - it'd be the ultimate Fallout experience.

I bought both of those, the World of Warcraft and Hearthstone cookbooks as gifts for my late stepmum (being a chef most of her life), and she'd adored them. I think she only ended up cooking one of the things for them, and I don't remember which, but they were nice for her to read all the same.

Being a curmudgeon I'd reviewed these favourably as "Skyrim" and "Fallout 4" cookbooks, as they had few to no recipes from other games of their respective series, and even Hearthstone's was only loosely inspired by things within Warcraft setting, and don't get me started on the Overwatch one. The WoW cookbook is phenominal, and it was seemingly good (or profitable) enough to release a second one.

How they'll do the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons one, I cannot say.

Edited by Withywarlock

10 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I bought both of those, the World of Warcraft and Hearthstone cookbooks as gifts for my late stepmum (being a chef most of her life), and she'd adored them. I think she only ended up cooking one of the things for them, and I don't remember which, but they were nice for her to read all the same.

Being a curmudgeon I'd reviewed these favourably as "Skyrim" and "Fallout 4" cookbooks, as they had few to no recipes from other games of their respective series, and even Hearthstone's was only loosely inspired by things within Warcraft setting, and don't get me started on the Overwatch one. The WoW cookbook is phenominal, and it was seemingly good (or profitable) enough to release a second one.

How they'll do the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons one, I cannot say.

Have you tried cooking anything in the cookbooks? What did they taste like?

19 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Personally, I'd even like to see the video of anything they were able to fix up from the book. I really hope it's not going to be a huge disaster 😂

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I myself have not, but the food would be as good as the ingredients, measurements and the temperature you're going to cook them at. The book can't make them taste better than your ability to follow their instructions (and it's not like they're particularly perculiar dishes either). I'm sure my stepmum would have been able to immediately say what will and won't work because she's had more cookery experience than I have years being alive. I might have to try some next week and get back to you on that, though. I need to get back into baking.

This is all assuming I can get the ingredients anyway. A lot of the stuff in some of the earlier books, namely the WoW cookbook, required things that are rare or non-existant in the UK, and if you substitute too much it ends up tasting completely different to the author's intentions.

7 hours ago, Heatman said:

Personally, I'd even like to see the video of anything they were able to fix up from the book. I really hope it's not going to be a huge disaster 😂

I can barely do a video of talking in front of a camera without a script, how I'd do a cookery video I've no idea.

22 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

I myself have not, but the food would be as good as the ingredients, measurements and the temperature you're going to cook them at. The book can't make them taste better than your ability to follow their instructions (and it's not like they're particularly perculiar dishes either). I'm sure my stepmum would have been able to immediately say what will and won't work because she's had more cookery experience than I have years being alive. I might have to try some next week and get back to you on that, though. I need to get back into baking.

This is all assuming I can get the ingredients anyway. A lot of the stuff in some of the earlier books, namely the WoW cookbook, required things that are rare or non-existant in the UK, and if you substitute too much it ends up tasting completely different to the author's intentions.

I can barely do a video of talking in front of a camera without a script, how I'd do a cookery video I've no idea.

Cooking isn't for everyone, it's only few people who are well versed in learning the art that does it very well. Cooking is an art for me because one starts with a different thing and comes up with another output. 

Ps. You can either use a tripod to hold your phone if it's what you prefer to video with.

On 8/31/2021 at 11:58 AM, Empire said:

Why not, let us know if they are really good realism cook books 😜 I say it's money grapping, making people think it's Ohh gaming cooking book YEAHHHHHH 😛 

Most recipes be copy and pasted from other books I say anyway. 

I'm not sure if it's going to be copy and paste cooking manual since it's linked to a particular game. The only challenge that I foresee is difficult in getting all the cooking ingredients as some might just be fictional. 

7 minutes ago, Heatman said:

I'm not sure if it's going to be copy and paste cooking manual since it's linked to a particular game. The only challenge that I foresee is difficult in getting all the cooking ingredients as some might just be fictional. 

Chelsea Monroe-Cassel does a great job of converting the fictional ingredients into real world items, and honestly upon looking at a lot of them I've no idea how they could do a better job of substituting them. Being a medieval-stasis fantasy setting, the Elder Scrolls one is fairly easy to replicate and substitute. The problem is, as said earlier, is that being from the UK a lot of them aren't available in my country or would be hard to get without going to international shops and supermarkets.

My criticism with the Fallout one is that it's basically cooking homemade alternatives to all the processed junk in that universe, which honestly I can't object to if it means people are making (sometimes) healthier foods from scratch. But you don't really need to this particular cookbook to do that, save for a few that are radiation-themed. ^^