Register Now
ZandraJoi

The Karate Kid Franchise

Includes The Karate Kid 1984, The Karate Kid Parts 2 & 3 1986 & 1989. The Next Karate Kid 1994. The newer movie of same name in 2010 with Jackie Chan.

The one with Jackie Chan was better than I thought it would be but it was odd seeing that actor as feeble with less humor. It still doesn’t hold a candle to the original ones. There wasn’t any chemistry between the 2 main actors IMO. I watched it but can’t imagine watching it again, whereas I’ve seen the originals several times since.

Then of course the newest series, Cobra Kai. A reboot of the series with the two rivals. I tried watching it but it didn’t hold me. When I looked at reviews, people are raving about this series. Something must be good if it’s going on for 4 seasons now.
Have you watched any of these movies? What did you think about them? Should I give Cobra Kai another go?

I've seen them all and I think the first 2 seasons of Kobra Kai.  I loved the first two movies, the remake and Kobra Kai.  Karate Kid 3 and The Next Karate Kid with Hillary Swank (yep, ya'll completely that exists didn't you) were just uncreative re-hashes of the original.

17 hours ago, ZandraJoi said:

Then of course the newest series, Cobra Kai. A reboot of the series with the two rivals. I tried watching it but it didn’t hold me. When I looked at reviews, people are raving about this series. Something must be good if it’s going on for 4 seasons now.
Have you watched any of these movies? What did you think about them? Should I give Cobra Kai another go?

I think you should give Kobra Kai another chance, it's more than just a sequel or a reboot.  It's actually a very clever and well written spin on the idea.  The original movies presented Kobra Kai/Johhny as the villains and Miyagi Dojo/Daniel as the heros in a typical black and white kind of way.  This series allows both sides to have flaws and credibility, it throws back to the original but it's given a thoroughly modern presentation.  Even though Johnny often still be a dick you do sympathize with him and Daniel, although still the morally wholesome character he always was can also be a passive aggressive asshole.  I would very strongly recommended to any fan of original movies.

Miyagi and johnny, Miyagi, well that’s known, but johnny shaped a bunch of losers into the most feared fighters in the valley, got rid of asthma, gave a kid confidence, redeemed the cobra Kai name, and is really passionate

I have watched The Karate Kid featuring  Jackie Chan. I liked the movie. It was unlike any other movie played by Jackie Chan that's what made the movie special (I mean we don't gt to see Jackie Chan's antics in the movie). I like the story and the presentation.

6 hours ago, Empire said:

Miyagi and johnny, Miyagi, well that’s known, but johnny shaped a bunch of losers into the most feared fighters in the valley, got rid of asthma, gave a kid confidence, redeemed the cobra Kai name, and is really passionate

You mean, Johnny wasn't a bully?  Well, I'm not an extreme democrat, lol, but those kids pushing Danny's bike off a cliff was extreme and that was just one incident.  Well, of course, cops are never called, cause that would make the film so boring - unless the situation lead to more fights, lol.

7 hours ago, Jayson said:

You mean, Johnny wasn't a bully?  Well, I'm not an extreme democrat, lol, but those kids pushing Danny's bike off a cliff was extreme and that was just one incident.  Well, of course, cops are never called, cause that would make the film so boring - unless the situation lead to more fights, lol.

I think he was talking about Cobra Kai, not the original movie.