Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

The hidden evil of games- game updates

I own a ps3 and get the game AS IS and no longer get updates. If the system fails, I still have save files that don't require an update to work. Updates are a failure and it stokes fear in every gamer. If you don't feel it, then imagine yourself on an island with all your game data and your system crashes. You have save data right? But the game you are playing was just updated and your save will no longer work because it is a PAST UPDATED FILE. 

Now compare ps3 to ps4 where updates are abound. In a way it all goes back to making a finished game before selling it. In my experience, getting games that are several years old with included DLC, I've never had problems with. 

Should we buy new games anymore? I suggest no way at all. The only benefit getting new games is community events. In no way have I ever missed out on that crap with a few year dated game with included DLC. 

And you can kiss your save files goodbye due to gaming updates. Your system will force updates that your save file doesn't have yet and make the files unreadable. 

I never have to worry about gaming with the ps3 because there are no updates. You play what you got. Straight up. I imagine my ps4 without any updates. And I don't think I would have as many problems with save files. I play what I have. But if the game isn't up to par, you risk my saves, as well as my entire system to corruption. So I will never buy a new game ever again. I will never buy a new system. You can fuck off with your incompetence. Your games unfinished, your systems malfunctioning, it's best to play with no online activity, no updates that you can ruin gaming data. 

I think if we are on an island we have bigger things to worry about than not being able to play games.

No updates on the PS3?  I literally hated the PS3, because every time I turned it on it would first update the system, then want to update the game I was about to play. By the time it was ready I lost interest in playing usually.

To be clear I'm not saying that everything is fine as is. But updates are not evil, despite the best effort some bug can be missed, or QOL features need to be added, etc.

As with everything technology is not evil, it's how we use it that's the problem. Knowingly shipping broken software to be fixed later in updates is evil.Or more like greedy, but same difference.

7 hours ago, m76 said:

I think if we are on an island we have bigger things to worry about than not being able to play games.

No updates on the PS3?  I literally hated the PS3, because every time I turned it on it would first update the system, then want to update the game I was about to play. By the time it was ready I lost interest in playing usually.

Seriously - It's one of the main reason why I didn't bother getting a new Playstation 3 after I had given my first one away. I just upgraded to PS4 and saved myself the stress. 

The ps4 has an update 9.00 now that I saw my system just updated and I read there are a lot of problems with it. I swear if this update ruins my saves or system I will be done with gaming. I am sick of all the updates in games and console alike. Has the gaming world always been like this? I'm just gonna turn off my damn network. 

On 9/3/2021 at 3:49 PM, m76 said:

To be clear I'm not saying that everything is fine as is. But updates are not evil, despite the best effort some bug can be missed, or QOL features need to be added, etc.

As with everything technology is not evil, it's how we use it that's the problem. Knowingly shipping broken software to be fixed later in updates is evil.Or more like greedy, but same difference.

Seriously - what most of these updates does is try as much as possible to fix old problems (bugs included) and leave a batch of new problems to be fixed by another update. 

Aren't we tired of the repeated process? 

On 9/3/2021 at 3:49 PM, m76 said:

Top Eleven Football Manager is a great football game but currently being ruined with bugs and all sorts of microtransactions that are never ending. There are at least more than 6 microtransactions loot boxes available in the game. 

My storage is pretty much full and now any update for a game that pops up, I can't update anything without clearing space by deleting a game on my system. And I don't have a game to delete, so I can't update anything anymore and it says I can't use network features on a game till I update. What a crock of s**t. Should have just turned network off when I mentioned it, now I'm running through a loop that ends in a rabbit hole. Well, guess I can't update anything here on out till I finish a game. Consoles aren't meant to have multiple games on it. 

13 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

My storage is pretty much full and now any update for a game that pops up, I can't update anything without clearing space by deleting a game on my system. And I don't have a game to delete, so I can't update anything anymore and it says I can't use network features on a game till I update. What a crock of s**t. Should have just turned network off when I mentioned it, now I'm running through a loop that ends in a rabbit hole. Well, guess I can't update anything here on out till I finish a game. Consoles aren't meant to have multiple games on it. 

It depends on the console you're using, cos I don't see how a gamer will pile up a 500GBof ROM with large game files. PS5 is up to 1 Terra Byte, I don't see how one can use it up easily. Maybe you should take time delete those unopened games you've not played for long. 

17 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

It depends on the console you're using, cos I don't see how a gamer will pile up a 500GBof ROM with large game files. PS5 is up to 1 Terra Byte, I don't see how one can use it up easily. Maybe you should take time delete those unopened games you've not played for long. 

Deleting those games might seem like the only best option that's left for him to do in such a situation that can't be helped. 

16 hours ago, Heatman said:

Deleting those games might seem like the only best option that's left for him to do in such a situation that can't be helped. 

I think it's the best option for him to get rid of some of the files causing his console to lag, he needs to correct it before it's late.