Register Now
m76

Why do you play games?

This seems like a strange question at first, but is it really?

What are the most important reasons you keep playing  games, what is it you get out of it?

Is it just a way to pass time? Does it give you an emotional high? Or do you get to experience things you can't otherwise? Does it give you a different perspective?  Is it something that helps you unwind, or take your mind off of your issues?

For me firstly it's about the ability to roleplay as and meet, or even befriend larger than life and extraordinary characters. This is why multiplayer gaming has little to no appeal to me, there are no characters to talk of, and there is no story to be told. Without a story there is no character development. And without character development there is no way to relate to the characters.

The other reason is the emotional high you get through achieving things in games. Things like finishing a mission, or successfully defeating an enemy, or even just leveling up all give a sense of achievement. Especially when there is a strategy to it. Sometimes it's not even just about beating the game, but chasing the perfect game, like no hit runs, or beating the game on extreme difficulty.

41 minutes ago, m76 said:

This seems like a strange question at first, but is it really?

No, I don't believe so. It's difficult for me to say because I've played games for so long, it's only with being in a relationship that I've come to really question why. When I'm with my partner I simply don't think about games at all, except when my darling asks me questions about them. That's often met with "is there anything you don't know about games," which makes me rather glad those decades of playing have paid off.

I used to be worried it's an addiction, but take away my games and I'll just find something else to keep my eyes, ears and fingers occupied with. I guess it's just because I'm bored. A theory I have is that because I'm autistic, I seek and avoid certain sensory experiences, so video games cover a lot of those for me. I have difficulty reading books due to my ADHD, so video games being my preferred medium help me enjoy certain stories, but also appreciate when some simply don't translate well to my preferred medium or would work in another. I couldn't explain any of this with really any elaboration, I'm simply not medically qualified to speak on why this is. Quite simply, I'm a nutcase.

I'm trying to review my thought process now though. I guess I just go with the genre I want, typically requiring a story or some sort of structure and goal, and seeing where it takes me. Sometimes I just want to turn off my brain and say "I did this," and sometimes I want to become deeply emotionally invested in a story, its characters and its setting. I struggle to articulate, I'm afraid.

It gets me out of the real world for a while. The characters I play, (for the most part) aren't facing any of the issues I face on a daily basis. It allows me to be free and active once again. I'm not held back by any disabilities or personality defects, like I am IRL. I become someone else who is dealing with different circumstances, in an entirely different world.

It's liberating and allows for independence. I can't ask for more than that, and honestly, that's more than enough for me.

Also a very minor point, is that it also eats up time if I'm waiting for something. All around gaming is a win/win for me.

2 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Also a very minor point, is that it also eats up time if I'm waiting for something. All around gaming is a win/win for me.

This is so very true. There are some times that I would be like let me play for at least say 30 minutes and wait for something and before I realize it, it's been over 2 hours session.