Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you think people can learn to be more tolerant from playing games?

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

Exactly - whatever you keep consuming on daily basis tends to take a hold of you. You may involuntarily behave in that line without knowing. 

That may only turn the kids to be more intolerant. The games are never created the ethical way, obviously that should contain lots of fighting and killing. Otherwise what's the point of entertainment here. 😆

2 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

That may only turn the kids to be more intolerant. The games are never created the ethical way, obviously that should contain lots of fighting and killing. Otherwise what's the point of entertainment here. 😆

Yeah - There is always more possibility that the games will have more effects on kids and even some adults that don't really know how to put their emotions in check. 

7 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

In that way, if we expect that playing games will teach us to be tolerant, than that would be a total misconception. Most of the games are based on extreme violence. No way, we can learn to be tolerant here. 😏

I need to correct you on something, Action themed video games are not based on extreme violence, they're based on challenge. To be clear, I take no issue with a game being graphic, brutal or violent in it's portrayal of that action, that can be a real positive when done right, but that's still a choice made buy the people who made it, not one dictated by the genre itself.

Edited by Shagger

52 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I need to correct you on something, Action themed video games are not based on extreme violence, they're based on challenge. To be clear, I take no issue with a game being graphic, brutal or violent in it's portrayal of that action, that can be a real positive when done right, but that's still a choice made buy the people who made it, not one dictated by the genre itself.

Yeah - even if a game is made to have extreme violence scenes in it, it's definitely going to rated and restricted to a certain age to play it. So, in most cases, it's going to be off limits for kids. 

23 hours ago, Shagger said:

Nothing is right in a video game, specially those action games. I mean, if you are given a free choice to either kill a person and loot them (like GTA V), do you think that it would be an ethical choice.  

I do agree to some portion of your comments, but if you say you will kill someone just because you think you are correct as per your own perspective, than I won't be agree with you on that point. The story of the games are portrayed like that whatever you do is correct, but in real life the situation is more complex. 

3 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

Nothing is right in a video game, specially those action games. I mean, if you are given a free choice to either kill a person and loot them (like GTA V), do you think that it would be an ethical choice.  

I do agree to some portion of your comments, but if you say you will kill someone just because you think you are correct as per your own perspective, than I won't be agree with you on that point. The story of the games are portrayed like that whatever you do is correct, but in real life the situation is more complex. 

Actually in video games where the player is given an opportunity to decide on what to do goes a very long way in shaping one's character in the future. 

6 hours ago, Heatman said:

Actually in video games where the player is given an opportunity to decide on what to do goes a very long way in shaping one's character in the future. 

Exactly, but you also must see what are the options given? Take example of GTA, what you can do there? Loot someone after killing/beating, hijack cars, planes etc. Tell me any single ethical thing that we can do here. 

1 hour ago, Razor1911 said:

Exactly, but you also must see what are the options given? Take example of GTA, what you can do there? Loot someone after killing/beating, hijack cars, planes etc. Tell me any single ethical thing that we can do here. 

Well, it's all in the video game that you can actually do that and it's basically what's obtainable in that particular game genre. 

35 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Well, it's all in the video game that you can actually do that and it's basically what's obtainable in that particular game genre. 

But when we talk about learning to be tolerant while playing games, I don't think it's practically admissible. In contrary, it effects the kids and teenagers to be more violent and intolerant.

5 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

But when we talk about learning to be tolerant while playing games, I don't think it's practically admissible. In contrary, it effects the kids and teenagers to be more violent and intolerant.

Yeah - it's actually why there is paternal control to what kind of video games that should be allowed for kids to play. 

11 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah - it's actually why there is paternal control to what kind of video games that should be allowed for kids to play. 

I don't think anyone follows that strictly. Those rules are just printed on paper. For example, GTA 5 has restrictions of 13 years of age or more. But, I practically have seen many kids below the age of 13 playing the game. 😏

24 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

I don't think anyone follows that strictly. Those rules are just printed on paper. For example, GTA 5 has restrictions of 13 years of age or more. But, I practically have seen many kids below the age of 13 playing the game. 😏

Yeah - it's actually possible for that to happen and the question there is who's to be blamed when it starts rubbing off the kids in their behavior? 

11 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

It depends on what you play. Even violent games can have a story that helps you to understand something like the cause for the violence, the solution, and maybe even personalize characters that may be an enemy to see the world they came from. Or if the protagonist comes from a different background than what you are used to and whatever beliefs they have, you could become attached to that character and possibly change your perspective. It is hard to find a good game that can do that, but it is definitely possible to increase toleration especially if more games come out that challenge prejudice. There are more and more adults getting into games, so we should see an increase in 'smarter' games that can teach something. At the least, challenge the prejudice. GTA obviously wouldn't fit in that category. But let's say GTA had a backstory why someone became a car thief; it still won't justify the crime, but help in understanding why; then see the character evolve and rehabilitate themself somehow. Make it a strong touching story and GTA even with all the violence becomes something entirely different. 

44 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

But let's say GTA had a backstory why someone became a car thief; it still won't justify the crime, but help in understanding why; then see the character evolve and rehabilitate themself somehow. 

Seriously - Having this background behind the storyline in GTA would have turned the who conception about the game. It might have even make it more popular if they fix a way to twist it into the narrative. 

17 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

GTA obviously wouldn't fit in that category. But let's say GTA had a backstory why someone became a car thief; it still won't justify the crime, but help in understanding why;

You've got some correct points and I agree with most of them except the one I quoted above. Obviously, there must a background story for every game, and since you are the protagonist, the story will revolve around you and will portray you as a saviour, who will fight, kill and do everything for the larger good. Here it's just black and white, you're right and your enemies are wrong. Correct? 

But, in RL the situation is not that simple. Everyone is correct in their own perspective, everyone has their own ideology, own view of thinking. To judge someone in RL is a complex thing. 

Now, as you mentioned, in GTA even if someone has stolen something, there should be a background story. I do appreciate, you acknowledged that it won't justify a crime, but if we try to find reasons behind every crime then there will be no criminal at all. Right? That's because, in criminal's perspective he is doing everything right. That's what real issue starts to develop. Kids are most likely to be influenced by these games, if they think stealing for a better cause is justified, that's totally wrong perspective, in my opinion.