Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you think people can learn to be more tolerant from playing games?

2 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

Now, as you mentioned, in GTA even if someone has stolen something, there should be a background story. I do appreciate, you acknowledged that it won't justify a crime, but if we try to find reasons behind every crime then there will be no criminal at all. Right? That's because, in criminal's perspective he is doing everything right. That's what real issue starts to develop. Kids are most likely to be influenced by these games, if they think stealing for a better cause is justified, that's totally wrong perspective, in my opinion. 

That's why I say there should be a strong emotional story involved for a game like that, otherwise it is just crime based. There should be consequences, rehabilitation, and and a story showing how a criminal can change and take down those things that drove him to crime. That is what a good story can sell. Are people that shallow to only pay attention to the bad and not the good? They can't blame the game then at that point. But they will anyways. 

15 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

That's why I say there should be a strong emotional story involved for a game like that, otherwise it is just crime based. There should be consequences, rehabilitation, and and a story showing how a criminal can change and take down those things that drove him to crime. That is what a good story can sell. Are people that shallow to only pay attention to the bad and not the good? They can't blame the game then at that point. But they will anyways. 

Yeah, that may be a good option. Are there any games like this? I think hardly any are there.

But yeah, I get your point. If the outcome of the story is something positive, then that will help the players to learn something positive from there. 

On 9/13/2021 at 1:38 AM, Razor1911 said:

Yeah, that may be a good option. Are there any games like this? I think hardly any are there.

But yeah, I get your point. If the outcome of the story is something positive, then that will help the players to learn something positive from there. 

There aren't many games like that, but that doesn't mean there can't be. Any game with a powerful message can reach some pretty shallow people, but for those intolerant types, how many hours of gameplay, or how many impactful games do they have to play while in real life they are exposed to bigotry/prejudice/indifference for years, decades, a lifetime? The culture of gaming itself is kind of looked down on in those types of people's eyes as it is. To embrace gaming is the first step before even considering that gaming can be able to increase toleration levels. Then it takes a rare impactful game to penetrate their comfort zones or boundaries. Then it requires their personal life to be distanced from their peers, or else they forget. 

No matter how much it's argued from now till eternity, it's a proven fact that games definitely have both negative and positive effects and impacts on kids depending on what they consume especially when they have the decision making in their hands like playing video games allows them to. 

On 9/14/2021 at 8:18 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

There aren't many games like that, but that doesn't mean there can't be. Any game with a powerful message can reach some pretty shallow people, but for those intolerant types, how many hours of gameplay, or how many impactful games do they have to play while in real life they are exposed to bigotry/prejudice/indifference for years, decades, a lifetime? The culture of gaming itself is kind of looked down on in those types of people's eyes as it is. To embrace gaming is the first step before even considering that gaming can be able to increase toleration levels. Then it takes a rare impactful game to penetrate their comfort zones or boundaries. Then it requires their personal life to be distanced from their peers, or else they forget. 

Yeah, I agree with you. First we will need to embrace gaming and try to learn positive things. As you have said, I come across many such people who don't really care what's the deep story in the game, they just keep on playing for the sole purpose of completing it, that's all.

8 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

Yeah, I agree with you. First we will need to embrace gaming and try to learn positive things. As you have said, I come across many such people who don't really care what's the deep story in the game, they just keep on playing for the sole purpose of completing it, that's all.

Well, once there is a positivity linked to the particular video games one is supposedly playing, there is always a very good chance to learn new good things from it and vice versa. 

2 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Well, once there is a positivity linked to the particular video games one is supposedly playing, there is always a very good chance to learn new good things from it and vice versa. 

The main issue is whether the gamer really understand and acknowledge the story. No doubt, if the story is something to learn from, that will impact on gamers mind. But ultimately it depends upon the gamer how he implement his learnings in real life. 

3 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

The main issue is whether the gamer really understand and acknowledge the story. No doubt, if the story is something to learn from, that will impact on gamers mind. But ultimately it depends upon the gamer how he implement his learnings in real life. 

Personally, I believe that there is always a strong story and a lesson behind any game. It's all about what the gamer chooses to do with the lessons that defines him or her to the game. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

If it's possible to add ignoring some set of people to the list of tolerating them, especially the crazy and annoying one's you get involved with in gaming chat platforms, then it's something gaming has done for me. 

Do you take them seriously? Man, there are hell lot of narcissistic people are there online, it's better to avoid them. Better concentrate on your game, and when game finishes, kick them out of your lobby😆

13 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

Do you take them seriously? Man, there are hell lot of narcissistic people are there online, it's better to avoid them. Better concentrate on your game, and when game finishes, kick them out of your lobby😆

Exactly - it's actually the point that I'm trying to make about treating them like they never existed because they aren't worth the time and stress. 

24 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Exactly - it's actually the point that I'm trying to make about treating them like they never existed because they aren't worth the time and stress. 

When you will be able to manage those stupid people, that will help you learn tolerant more than the actual game. I have now learn to avoid such toxic people and their worthless comments. 

1 minute ago, Razor1911 said:

When you will be able to manage those stupid people, that will help you learn tolerant more than the actual game. I have now learn to avoid such toxic people and their worthless comments. 

Seriously - It's actually not an easy thing dealing with toxic people especially when it's people met online. Why put oneself through the stress when you can easily forget them and move on. 

1 minute ago, Heatman said:

Seriously - It's actually not an easy thing dealing with toxic people especially when it's people met online. Why put oneself through the stress when you can easily forget them and move on. 

That's the great lesson that we can learn whole playing. Lol. I might sound funny, but the tolerance and patience we will get to learn from there will work in our practical life also.