Register Now
killamch89

Do You Believe In Self-Improvement?

Self improvement is like a religion. If you keep telling yourself to be a certain way, say certain things then it becomes prayer like. Books become the gospel. Talking about it in front of others you become a preacher. Then you get brands and call yourself something. Organizations are born. Damn...and it all started because you wanted to find a date. Now you are killing people and getting multiple wives. You begin blood sacrifices of animals. Dooms day has arrived and everyone else are sinners and gonna vanish. 

Or you can just say YES to everything like that movie. I wonder what my life would be like if I started saying yes to everything. 

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Self improvement is like a religion. If you keep telling yourself to be a certain way, say certain things then it becomes prayer like. Books become the gospel. Talking about it in front of others you become a preacher. Then you get brands and call yourself something. Organizations are born. Damn...and it all started because you wanted to find a date. Now you are killing people and getting multiple wives. You begin blood sacrifices of animals. Dooms day has arrived and everyone else are sinners and gonna vanish. 

Or you can just say YES to everything like that movie. I wonder what my life would be like if I started saying yes to everything. 

I do but at the same time, I don't just follow what they say - I have to carefully analyze it to see if the information makes any sense to me. Most of these self-improvement gurus are some screwed up individuals who'll con gullible people out of their money.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I do but at the same time, I don't just follow what they say - I have to carefully analyze it to see if the information makes any sense to me. Most of these self-improvement gurus are some screwed up individuals who'll con gullible people out of their money.

I think you can only improve yourself if you know what exactly needs improving. Everything else is holy poly

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

You can only improve yourself if you honestly believe you need improvement, and then take the steps necessary to make that improvement. Otherwise it's nothing but wasted time and energy that could have been put towards something that mattered.

This. There needs to be solid motivation, or nothing will happen. And if there is truly compelling motivation, it can't not happen. It's like pulling a thread out of an old sweater. It will keep unraveling.

On 9/9/2021 at 10:33 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I think you can only improve yourself if you know what exactly needs improving. Everything else is holy poly

That's a very valid point.

On 9/10/2021 at 4:32 PM, The Blackangel said:

You can only improve yourself if you honestly believe you need improvement, and then take the steps necessary to make that improvement. Otherwise it's nothing but wasted time and energy that could have been put towards something that mattered.

Great point there.

On 9/10/2021 at 6:38 PM, StaceyPowers said:

This. There needs to be solid motivation, or nothing will happen. And if there is truly compelling motivation, it can't not happen. It's like pulling a thread out of an old sweater. It will keep unraveling.

I agree - you have to really have a moment of self-reflection and realize that you really needed that change.