Register Now
PGen98

Do You Actively Collect Video Games?

Does anyone here actively collect video games?  What is your favourite console in your collection, and favourite game?  Do you base your collecting around value or around the games themselves in terms of quality and nostalgia (meaning that a lot of super-rare, very expensive games are awful to play, while some more common titles are incredibly fun)?

For me, personally, I went through a phase where I picked up any and every game, and a phase where I started looking for the rare and expensive stuff, but I finally slowed down and realized that I wanted to collect games that I actually wanted to play, and I've worked my way up to 40+ consoles and handhelds and 2,500+ games, MOST of which are games I actually like or, if they're in my backlog, games I want to play.  My favourite console is the Sega Saturn, I've loved it since day one, just such a fun and underrated (though poorly managed and advertised) console.  I love collecting for it, though it's gotten far too expensive for me these days, I still enjoy importing Japanese Saturn games (if anyone knows where to find an affordable copy of Super Tempo, I'm on the hunt! :D) and get a lot of joy out of what truly is a console ahead of its' time.  My favourite game for the Saturn is Panzer Dragoon Saga, and I'm not saying that just because it's rare and expensive, I'm saying it because it is and remains one of the finest RPGs ever made. 

30 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

I do have some good collection of gaming CDs, but the games are of PS2 and it's bit outdated now. Even my PS2 doesn't work anymore. I now a days, collect my games in softcopies by going for DLCs in steam or Epic. 

It's a shame that your Playstation 2 isn't working anymore. Maybe you should have it taken to tech support for service maintenance. 

22 hours ago, Heatman said:

I wouldn't call myself that much of a collector because all the games consoles that I have picked up is SEGA, Gameboy, Playstation 1, 2, 3, and 4. 

Well the great thing about collecting is that it doesn't matter about having a massive collection, so long as it means something to you, that's still collecting!

15 minutes ago, PGen98 said:

Well the great thing about collecting is that it doesn't matter about having a massive collection, so long as it means something to you, that's still collecting!

Exactly - it's what it actually means to collect something because no one ever goes out of his way to get something that doesn't mean anything to him or her. 

I don't actively collect games as an investment or hobby. But I do have a huge collection of digital games on PlayStation because of the free games that they have given out over the past years. I just add them to my library since they're free.

1 hour ago, Empire said:

I have 183 steam games listed, another 30 more on another platform. So do you call that collecting then? You ask yourself that and see it for yourself. Do you even play all of the games that you even own. 

The simple fact is that most of us are more of a full collector than a full player because in most cases, we complete small percentage of all the games we have already but still getting new ones. 

58 minutes ago, Darth said:

I don't actively collect games as an investment or hobby. But I do have a huge collection of digital games on PlayStation because of the free games that they have given out over the past years. I just add them to my library since they're free.

Personally, I think mine is a bit part more of fun collection than an investment collection because I don't think the thought of ever selling them have ever crossed my mind. 

6 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

Even though I've been playing games for a long time now, I never really spent time changing consoles often. I never used up to right consoles since I started playing video games using consoles in 2006. 

I have been making use of by Playstation 4 for a long time now, and I'm still very in love with it. Although I will be changing it soon with PS5. 

On 9/11/2021 at 4:22 AM, Empire said:

I have 183 steam games listed, another 30 more on another platform. So do you call that collecting then? You ask yourself that and see it for yourself. Do you even play all of the games that you even own. 

Oh yeah, the Steam libraries can grow out of control very quickly!  I've got over 300 games on Steam, with a vast majority gathering e-dust.  It's still a form of collecting, for sure!  Have I played every single game I own?  No, I haven't, but the vast majority, yes!

On 9/11/2021 at 4:40 AM, Darth said:

Those game giveaways are fantastic on all of the consoles and distributors.  Epic gives away some great games, too!

On 9/11/2021 at 5:38 AM, Heatman said:

The simple fact is that most of us are more of a full collector than a full player because in most cases, we complete small percentage of all the games we have already but still getting new ones. 

Precisely, it's impossible to play every game after a certain point, so enjoyment and fulfillment is what it's mostly about.