Register Now
PGen98

Is Gaming on Linux A Worthwhile Experience?

On 4/22/2022 at 6:48 AM, egghead said:

Being an open source, perhaps linux still need a lot of improvement.

not improvement but more support obviously, one of the obstacles why people aren't picking it for gaming up over windows is the lack of supported games and you can only play few titles there

On 5/3/2022 at 2:39 AM, Patrik said:

not improvement but more support obviously, one of the obstacles why people aren't picking it for gaming up over windows is the lack of supported games and you can only play few titles there

Actually, it does have a decent catalogue of games but the support is light years behind Windows.

On 6/7/2022 at 1:08 PM, Jasmin said:

I don't have nay experience with linux, therefore, I don't know how they perform for games. However, I believe they are not as powerful as the paid OS like Mac and Windows

It also is way more difficult to use than Microsoft or Apple OS. Even the simplest commands take lines of code just perform.

10 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

It also is way more difficult to use than Microsoft or Apple OS. Even the simplest commands take lines of code just perform.

As much as I hate using Linux, it really depends on what you’re trying to do. There’s plenty of stuff you can do without even opening the terminal.

In regards to the comment about “lines of code”. It’s technically true, but the commands aren’t very long, and a lot of stuff is only like 2 or 3 commands. So yes, it is “lines”, but it’s a mere fraction of lines that programmers, or writers of automated scripts have to write.

Edited by Grungie

12 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Do you use linux? I mean not just for gaming alone, for other activities.

7 hours ago, Jasmin said:

Do you use linux? I mean not just for gaming alone, for other activities.

I've tried to learn it and trust me, it's difficult as hell. I mean there are more user-friendly versions now but even those are way behind Microsoft or Apple in terms of usability.

On 6/16/2022 at 4:23 AM, killamch89 said:

I've tried to learn it and trust me, it's difficult as hell. I mean there are more user-friendly versions now but even those are way behind Microsoft or Apple in terms of usability.

yeah this is exactly the reason people keep drifting back to windows because "it just works" 😅

linux needs some studying before you can use it. 😋

On 8/23/2022 at 5:27 AM, Gonassis said:

yeah this is exactly the reason people keep drifting back to windows because "it just works" 😅

linux needs some studying before you can use it. 😋

Most versions of Linux isn't beginner and user-friendly and they always take some setup to get going whereas Windows just works right out of the box. Mind you, I have my own issues with Windows and I'd probably use Linux if it was more compatible with other software.

On 9/2/2022 at 9:01 AM, killamch89 said:

Most versions of Linux isn't beginner and user-friendly and they always take some setup to get going whereas Windows just works right out of the box. Mind you, I have my own issues with Windows and I'd probably use Linux if it was more compatible with other software.

Yeah, well, it's a catch 22 I guess. A chicken and egg 🐣 situation,
Microsoft Windows, is BIG, that's why people dev for/on it. and since that happens, (not much) people see an incentive to create stuff for Linux at all.

Like there aren't many games that natively support the Linux system, which valve claims to be doing.

rinse repeat. 🔁

Also Microsoft is a big company, of course they'd try to get things to work simply out of the box, though that's not to say they don't have their share of bugs at all. 😅

On 9/2/2022 at 2:01 AM, killamch89 said:

Key fix for Linux. They need to make a move to setting up their software to have a better easier user interface. This is where Windows come handy for folks not great with setting up their PC. 

10 hours ago, Ajibusu said:

Key fix for Linux. They need to make a move to setting up their software to have a better easier user interface. This is where Windows come handy for folks not great with setting up their PC. 

They have distros that are beginner friendly, and have been around for years. Ubuntu, Elementary, and Mint are really easy to set up and use. Do you know how to click next a bunch of times and wait? Cool, you’re now certified in how to install those distros.

If you want to install software, a lot of distros work like Windows and MacOS, where you download an installer file, double click, and do the difficult task of hitting next a bunch of times. Or if that’s too arduous, a lot of distros have app stores, and work just like it does on Windows, Mac, or your phone/tablet.

19 hours ago, Grungie said:

They have distros that are beginner friendly, and have been around for years. Ubuntu, Elementary, and Mint are really easy to set up and use. Do you know how to click next a bunch of times and wait? Cool, you’re now certified in how to install those distros.

If you want to install software, a lot of distros work like Windows and MacOS, where you download an installer file, double click, and do the difficult task of hitting next a bunch of times. Or if that’s too arduous, a lot of distros have app stores, and work just like it does on Windows, Mac, or your phone/tablet.

Such a comprehensive note on how to go about installing the Linux OS. I will have to check it up when I get the new desktop that I will need in one of our offices.