Register Now
StaceyPowers

Is volumetric lighting/god rays overused?

16 minutes ago, m76 said:

They haven't particularly bothered me yet. What does bother me, and I immediately turn them off is chromatic aberration, motion blur and depth of field.

Seriously - you hit a nerve there with mentioning motion blur. It's really a very big turn off for me as I can't stand it at all. 

On 9/11/2021 at 4:11 PM, m76 said:

They haven't particularly bothered me yet. What does bother me, and I immediately turn them off is chromatic aberration, motion blur and depth of field.

Motion Blur has always been a pain in the butt. Like honestly, who came up with that crap?!

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Motion Blur has always been a pain in the butt. Like honestly, who came up with that crap?!

It's a console feature that bled over to PC for some reason. What baffles me is the amount of people campaigning on the side of the motion blur filter even today.

On 9/12/2021 at 12:46 AM, StaceyPowers said:

Proper god rays are kind of rare IRL, but they are everywhere in modern games. They detract from realism for me, and sometimes they even don't come from a light source! Anyone else feel they are overused?

I think you know something about developing a game, right? Normally a gamer doesn't know what volumetric light means.

Well, I don't find anything kinda annoying yet. Some games uses higher contrast to make the game more real like, and those games do have high volumetric lightings. 

18 hours ago, m76 said:

It's a console feature that bled over to PC for some reason. What baffles me is the amount of people campaigning on the side of the motion blur filter even today.

I've never really gotten it, it'd not adding anything other than making your vision blurry and disorienting you the player. It also confuses me why this is still around and is as popular as it is.