Register Now
StaceyPowers

Oversized weapons in games: love em or hate em?

If it doesn't hinder the gameplay, I typically don't pay it no mind. But sometimes I look at and the bullshit factor diminishes the enjoyability of the game. For example Cloud's sword in FF7 is one that just annoys the hell out of me. Squall's lionheart gunblade is another one. These weapons are too big for them to be used the way the games have them using. A little bit of realistic weaponry is going to make the game a lot more fun that someone whacking their enemy with the fucking space shuttle.

More often than not I don't like it (oversized pauldrons I'm a stickler for, too) but I can get behind it when it's so rare it's comical. Like in Dark Souls, you'll sometimes play the game on your own for so long in your standard Medieval stasis gear, that you one day come across the phantom of a player with a great ****-off sword that just makes me burst out with laughter because it's so unexpected, and seeing them swing that thing around is even more hilarious.

I can suspend my disbelief when it comes to monsters and magic quite easily, as I could believe there's a biology and physics explanation for those things, but for weapons, I tend not to believe it unless they have some place in the real world. I am however slowly warming to the silliness sometimes found in anime-style games. Valkyria Chronicles was a nice way of dipping one's toes in the pool.... until the dirty great drill swords came along.

Vintage Stock here in town sells a lot of sword replicas from video games, that are full scale. They had an exact replica of Cloud's sword. I'm 6'4" and the damn thing is almost as tall as I am. Not to mention HEAVY AS HELL. I own a full scale Master Sword replica. The balance is way off, and at the length it's almost a damn claymore. You can ask @Shagger and @Crazycrab about those, or pretty much anyone with Scottish heritage. Those are some big ass swords.

But with a sword that big I just can't help but be disgusted when a game character uses something that is completely impossible like that. Like I said in my earlier post:

A little bit of realistic weaponry is going to make the game a lot more fun than someone whacking their enemy with the fucking space shuttle.

21 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Vintage Stock here in town sells a lot of sword replicas from video games, that are full scale. They had an exact replica of Cloud's sword. I'm 6'4" and the damn thing is almost as tall as I am. Not to mention. HEAVY AS HELL (not true, I'll explain below). I own a full scale Master Sword replica. The balance is way off, and at the length it's almost a damn claymore. You can ask @Shagger and @Crazycrab about those, or pretty much anyone with Scottish heritage. Those are some big ass swords.

But with a sword that big I just can't help but be disgusted when a game character uses something that is completely impossible like that. Like I said in my earlier post:

A little bit of realistic weaponry is going to make the game a lot more fun than someone whacking their enemy with the fucking space shuttle.

This might be surprising to some but actual historical Claymores, despite being 4.5 to 5ft long were not very heavy, around 5-6 pounds or 2.5 to 3kg.  That's less than a typical bag of shopping, a child could easily pick one up and skilled swords person could even use it with one hand.  This was important because soldiers spent more time going to and from battles than actually being in them.  So wanted to keep your equipment as light as possible.

They were long blades that tapered both along the width and length of the blade, so the centre of gravity was very close to the handle.  They were designed to be carried around because that what they would be doing with them 99% of the time.  Even so Claymores were still pretty rare.  Most soldiers/armies still favoured the longsword because you still use a shield with it.  I think William Wallace might be the only notable warrior that actually used one.

I wasn't talking about claymores being heavy and off balance. The heavy sword I was referring to was the replica of Cloud's sword. The off balance one is the Master Sword replica that I own. I only brought up claymores because the Master Sword that I have is almost as big as a claymore. It's a little over 4' (121.92 cm) so I just referenced it as they're almost the same length. The claymore is bigger, but the Master Sword right by me is a long damn sword. And it is ridiculously off balance.

47 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I wasn't talking about claymores being heavy and off balance. The heavy sword I was referring to was the replica of Cloud's sword. The off balance one is the Master Sword replica that I own. I only brought up claymores because the Master Sword that I have is almost as big as a claymore. It's a little over 4' (121.92 cm) so I just referenced it as they're almost the same length. The claymore is bigger, but the Master Sword right by me is a long damn sword. And it is ridiculously off balance.

I know you weren't refering to Cloud's Buster Sword and I never referred to it.  I just wanted to clarify the facts. I didn't want the weapon of one of my nation's most revered historical figures to fall into what is a very common misconception, especially since you litteraly asked and tagged me.  I even went to the trouble of pointing out the design differences in a Claymore to The Master Sword Replica that you have because, since you have one, I thought you would know what I was talking about:

53 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

They (Claymores) were long blades that tapered both along the width and length of the blade

Claymore:

tu-AmxWNfJ8em1mp8n7HFRISc6SwOFc8JWYfHx8J

The Master Sword...

image.png.794092ec92f1f3728fb47e668f75239c.png

...Has no such taper, which is why it would be much more ungainly and impractical in real life.  I run under the assumption that aren't stupid enough to think that it would, which is why I don't bother to mention it specifically.  Do I REALLY need to explain in that much detail or be that specific for you to not to call me out for being right?

If you don't want a dose of historical accuracy then don't ask.

Edited by Crazycrab

Before someone misquotes me again I should probably give my opinion on the topic.  I'm okay with oversized weapons for the most part.  If Final Fantasy 7 wants me to believe that Cloud can spin a sword the size of him over his head then... Okay.

It's all about context, is the world of game supposed to be realistic or a fantasy setting with it's own rules.  As long as it's consistent within the world itself I'm fine.

20 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I know you weren't refering to Cloud's Buster Sword and I never referred to it.  I just wanted to clarify the facts. I didn't want the weapon of one of my nation's most revered historical figures to fall into what is a very common misconception, especially since you litteraly asked and tagged me.  I even went to the trouble of pointing out the design differences in a Claymore to The Master Sword Replica that you have because, since you have one, I thought you would know what I was talking about:

Claymore:

tu-AmxWNfJ8em1mp8n7HFRISc6SwOFc8JWYfHx8J

The Master Sword...

image.png.794092ec92f1f3728fb47e668f75239c.png

...Has no such taper, which is why it would be much more ungainly and impractical in real life.  I run under the assumption that aren't stupid enough to think that it would, which is why I don't bother to mention it specifically.  Do I REALLY need to explain in that much detail or be that specific for you to not to call me out for being right?

If you don't want a dose of historical accuracy then don't ask.

Chill the fuck out. I wasn't calling you wrong or right. All I specifically said about a claymore was that it's a bigass sword. I referenced size between the Master Sword and a claymore, but I never went into such detail between the two.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:36 PM, killamch89 said:

It depends on the game and the design of the weapon. I like Cloud's Buster swords and some of the oversized weapons from the Monster Hunter franchise - I'll have to say that swinging them around can be quite a pain at times.

Personally, I really love the huge sword of Noctis in Final Fantasy XV - Engine Blade. 709216362_images(71).jpeg.759bda314c1f412aec3a9838d29304a4.jpeg