Register Now
StaceyPowers

How do you choose names for your characters in RPGs?

1 minute ago, m76 said:

I draw a blank every time I need to name a character. I can't think of a name if my life depended on it. So I usually just end up naming the character something stupid or a name I heard recently.

It happened to me in one of my football manager games when I wanted to name my new player and all I could think of was Shishio Makoto, a name I fondly picked from watching Rurouni Kenshin. 

On 9/12/2021 at 11:45 PM, killamch89 said:

I usually look up the name of powerful deities or important people in history and I draw my naming inspiration from them or sometimes I just make up something that sounds really cool.

I think a good number of people do that as well, with the view of drawing strength from the name to their own character. 

On 9/23/2021 at 1:00 AM, Head_Hunter said:

When it comes to making our own RPGs team or cosplaying the role of a movie character it is believed that, we act like the real character in the virtual world which is picked out from a movie. 

Movies seems to be one big pool of information on what names to make use of when naming one's gaming characters especially in RPGs. 

2 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I tend to go with my own name, my screen-name (as seen here), or I name them after the supposed warlock 'John Napier,' me being a John myself. I'll then name companions after other witches and warlocks in history.

Merlin is definitely going be something that comes up to the names you might be choosing from as well. 

Depends on how the game story treats them. If it is a big story with emphasis on them, then I leave the default names. If it is a game like disgaea that has generics then I name then like my friends. I've done this with all games since playing Xcom enemy unknown since I actually had fun with emergent storylines.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:10 AM, Withywarlock said:

I very much like modelling characters around Merlin, but I've never used that name. There's a first time for everything though!

Exactly, there is always a possibility that you might wake up to it once and see yourself drifting towards using the name. Personally, I fancy Merlin too.