Register Now
StaceyPowers

How do you choose names for your characters in RPGs?

If there are defaults (ie. Final Fantasy), I just tend to stick with those.. If there are "known" names but the game doesn't select them by default (ie. Pokémon), I generally research and select them.

I haven't played too many RPGs where I must choose my own name, thankfully 😅. I'm not really into open-world RPGs, and prefer the more traditional JRPGs.

Edited by Oblivion Knight

The only game I really play where I can name anything is RDR2, and that's just the horses that I can name. Depending on the horse, I try to name it something that would relate to its breed and coat. I've named a few of them after bulls from the PBRA. I just get different horse names from all different thoughts that go on in this twisted mind of mine.

On 9/11/2021 at 8:32 PM, StaceyPowers said:

How do you choose names for your characters in RPGs?

In most cases, I do not really attach much sentiment to the names of my characters. I simply name them anything that pops up in my head at the moment. It's not a big deal. 

8 hours ago, Boblee said:

In most cases, I do not really attach much sentiment to the names of my characters. I simply name them anything that pops up in my head at the moment. It's not a big deal. 

This is definitely one of the most stress free way to name your character. Sometimes, getting too attached to these sorts of things isn't healthy. 

13 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

A one tap Google search keyword name will simply save us the stress of thinking too much about the name to give our character. 

How do you make use of Google search name to name your game characters? You are most likely to get random ordinary names by doing this. 

17 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

A one tap Google search keyword name will simply save us the stress of thinking too much about the name to give our character. 

This should definitely work for me being the kind of person who doesn't really care much about the name of my characters. So, I can easily name them anything. 

7 hours ago, Boblee said:

This should definitely work for me being the kind of person who doesn't really care much about the name of my characters. So, I can easily name them anything. 

This is actually how some gamers who are not too attached to their games tend to name their characters. 

8 hours ago, Boblee said:

Lol, you simply name your character after your name since your name is sounding more of name used in video games. 

10 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Their is nothing bad naming them anytime provided that it doesn't affect any one cos you're the one seeing it and no one else. 

Yeah - once it's something that you can easily related to, it's cool in my opinion. There are some gamers that name their characters based on their personal names. 

11 hours ago, Heatman said:

This is actually how some gamers who are not too attached to their games tend to name their characters. 

They are just video games for God's sake, why would I get myself worked up too much about what to name my characters when they won't complain even if I decide not to name them. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah - once it's something that you can easily related to, it's cool in my opinion. There are some gamers that name their characters based on their personal names. 

Yes, most of the time I do it. When I am playing MGP career mode I choose to give my rider after my name same with FIFA player career mode too. 

Edited by Justin11