Register Now
StaceyPowers

You can learn a lot about someone by watching them game

I’ve discovered you can learn a lot about a person by watching them game, especially if they are frustrated.

For example, I was watching a friend raging while trying to get around an obstacle course in a game he was relatively new to. He kept raging about an obstacle he was having a hard time with, which was resulting in him falling and having to do the whole course over. But he didn’t notice that he was learning quickly and getting past previous obstacles in the course almost without effort that were driving him crazy before. It made me realize a lot of his anger results from where he puts his attention, and failing to notice his own growth.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:51 PM, killamch89 said:

This is just a scenario but they may act completely different in real-life situations. For instance, in games I tend to be somewhat impatient whereas if I want to achieve anything worthwhile, I have to be patient.

Exactly - I believe that there are some gaming actions and decisions that can't be linked to one's real life behavior because it's practically two different phases of operation. 

On 9/13/2021 at 1:56 AM, Family sedan said:

When I was 13 I saw a girl I liked swearing up a storm because she was losing at a game.  How she didn't get tossed from that Toys 'R Us is a mystery to me.

Why would anyone take it upon himself or herself to do that to her because she's reacting that way? 

On 9/12/2021 at 7:56 PM, Family sedan said:

When I was 13 I saw a girl I liked swearing up a storm because she was losing at a game.  How she didn't get tossed from that Toys 'R Us is a mystery to me.

I can imagine how some parents were covering their kids ears while walking past...

On 9/24/2021 at 6:22 PM, Family sedan said:

She was swearing in the store.  It was 1997 and morals were a bit tighter back then, even if only by a little.

Yeah - it's something that could really happen back then in the same situation but not anymore today. 

6 hours ago, Family sedan said:

There weren't that many people in the store that day.

Well that at least offsets some of the impact of her actions but where were her parents?

33 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Well, it most certainly would have been a very frustrating thing for her that very day for her to behave in such manner. 

There's something called public etiquette and some of the kids growing up weren't taught that by their parents/guardians.