Register Now
StaceyPowers

How long do you run your console in the heat before giving it a break?

I normally will keep playing until I want to get off. I remember leaving my PS3 running Gran Turmiso since some races were 24-72 hours long straight (I would switch to their B-spec mode to let my AI drive when I was sleeping or doing other things). I’ve never had any issues at all with overheating a console, or any damage. 

Contrary to popular beliefs it's not extended heat that kills electronics, but heat cycling ie: cooling down and heating up again cycles cause more wear due to thermal expansion. So by "giving it a break" you might be hurting it more.

Just now, m76 said:

Contrary to popular beliefs it's not extended heat that kills electronics, but heat cycling ie: cooling down and heating up again cycles cause more wear due to thermal expansion. So by "giving it a break" you might be hurting it more.

There might actually be an element of truth in this theory. Because, take for instance, television set we have at home has been functional for years as long as I can remember and it never got damaged while being on for more than 20 hours straight. 

12 minutes ago, Empire said:

I remember running my PS2 for five long hours and still works fine and the temps are all good 😜 Other then myself needed a long break after five hours 😛 

Nowdays most things can run for hours upon hours, don't they? 

Yes of course, hardcore gamers can play for more than 15 hours actively and the gaming console still works perfectly well. 

48 minutes ago, Family sedan said:

Back when I was addicted to gaming, I only came close to ruining my PS1 once.  That was the day where I had a fourteen some odd hour marathon of GT2 and stupidly didn't save for a long time.  The console did overheat, but it still works to this day.

Was your addiction back then very challenging for you? How did you get to get it under wraps to game healthily?