Register Now
StaceyPowers

What is the cut-off date for what we call retro gaming?

3 minutes ago, Family sedan said:

I had to quit my Target job when my teammate found out how different I was from him in terms of beliefs and starting lying about me and threatening me.  He even slashed my tires, but I didn't find out until later due to run-flat technology.

You should have had him arrested for damaging your car!! 

5 minutes ago, Family sedan said:

No I mean the psycho co-worker almost ruined Christmas 2015.

Oh! I got it mixed up there. Seriously, if it were me, I'm definitely not going to let him walk for free without any consequences for his actions. 

I don't think it's a number, it's more of a style. I would think anything before the ps2 years I see as retro. Classic gaming is definitely before ps2. Retro may mean the same as classic, but to me retro seems a bit more gray area. To me, classic is a style and retro is graphic quality. If the way games are now graphically and doesn't change for the next 100 years, then retro will still be before ps2 days, maybe include ps2 in the gray area. But in a 100 years if gaming is all VR and looks like real life, then ps5 and everything under is retro. 

On 9/14/2021 at 8:27 PM, Crazycrab said:

There will definitely be differing opinions about this.  Me personally I would say the retro cut off is with the end of the PS1/N64 era.

That's definitely a fact, because differently people view things with their level of perception, so there is no way you would expect a unified opinion on this subject. 

On 9/15/2021 at 9:29 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I don't think it's a number, it's more of a style. I would think anything before the ps2 years I see as retro. Classic gaming is definitely before ps2. Retro may mean the same as classic, but to me retro seems a bit more gray area. To me, classic is a style and retro is graphic quality. If the way games are now graphically and doesn't change for the next 100 years, then retro will still be before ps2 days, maybe include ps2 in the gray area. But in a 100 years if gaming is all VR and looks like real life, then ps5 and everything under is retro. 

Yeah - it's actually very visible in what you have in video games down from Playstation 1 backwards. The style of play have incredibly upgraded to what we have now. 

On 9/14/2021 at 2:27 PM, Crazycrab said:

There will definitely be differing opinions about this.  Me personally I would say the retro cut off is with the end of the PS1/N64 era.

I have to agree here. I'm a classic, or "retro" gamer as it is, and I don't consider anything past the PS1/N64 era classic/retro. Something that burns my ass, is when people call things like Wii retro. I'm willing to slap you for that. If you're going to go that far, then you better start calling PS4 and Xbox One retro, since their next gen systems are out.

Retro is old and obsolete technology. Games that are purely cartoony looking (not Cuphead) or have hard corners in their design. Mario 64 has a lot of hard corners. Zelda Link To The Past is cartoony. And don't get me started on the abomination that was Wind Waker.

On 9/23/2021 at 12:19 AM, Head_Hunter said:

I can't estimate how long the game needs to stay before it can be considered a retro kind of game. But I believe when it has over stayed and many new gen consoles comes in, it will be considered as retro. 

The years and the style of gameplay that's associated with a particular game is what goes into effect in determining if it's going to be considered a retro or not. 

19 minutes ago, Empire said:

I feel the cutoff is right around the end of the fifth generation of consoles (N64, PS1) but right at the start of the sixth (Dreamcast)

Exactly - and if you look at what's obtainable in those gaming systems and what we have now, the difference is crystal clear.