Register Now
StaceyPowers

What is the cut-off date for what we call retro gaming?

I tend to say anything before the previous system, so Sony Playstation 3/Microsoft Xbox 360/Nintendo Wii. Where the Nintendo 3DS and Playstation Vita come into the equation as they've not had a system replace them (by their own company; see smartphones) I don't know. The faults of my reasoning are not unknown to me.

Whereabouts do you decide the cut-off point?

18 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

How old does a game need to be in order for us to call it “retro?”

Basically in my opinion, any game to be considered as a retro, it should at least have a cut off age mark of 20 to 23 years. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

Basically in my opinion, any game to be considered as a retro, it should at least have a cut off age mark of 20 to 23 years. 

What happens when a game is about to turn 24 years old, like my copies of NBA Live '98 and Car and Driver Grand Tour Racing '98?

59 minutes ago, Family sedan said:

What happens when a game is about to turn 24 years old, like my copies of NBA Live '98 and Car and Driver Grand Tour Racing '98?

Definitely in my book, it should be considered as a retro. 

4 minutes ago, Family sedan said:

Thanks for the clarification.

You're very welcome my friend. Just so you know, it's my personal analysis of what a retro should fall into because I'm very sure others might have a different opinion. 

I had to quit my Target job when my teammate found out how different I was from him in terms of beliefs and starting lying about me and threatening me.  He even slashed my tires, but I didn't find out until later due to run-flat technology.