Register Now
StaceyPowers

How much would someone have to pay you to do crunch time on games?

I already worked through at least a dozen crunch times, some longer, some shorter, albeit not on games. We rarely got paid anything above standard OT pay. Sometimes not even that. There were bad bosses, who would go home and phone us up at 10pm from the comfort of their home to ask for status updates. And there were those who stayed with us through the thick of it. And even those who would bring food to the office for free.

You see it all depends on mutual respect, not just money. If employers respect you you are much easier convinced to put in extra work. 

I don't think the concept of crunch time is the problem. The bigger issue is the terms and conditions of appointed crunch time that makes it such a horrible thing. Crunch time is more or less overtime except the stipulations of certain companies take away most of the benefits for the workers while pushing them e even harder.

On 9/15/2021 at 2:17 AM, killamch89 said:

I don't think the concept of crunch time is the problem. The bigger issue is the terms and conditions of appointed crunch time that makes it such a horrible thing. Crunch time is more or less overtime except the stipulations of certain companies take away most of the benefits for the workers while pushing them e even harder.

Seriously - those so called bosses seem to always taking advantage of the sincerity of their worker who are willing to work such crunch time as a result of no stipulated terms and conditions. 

I had an experience where what I was supposed to be paid was cut off 50% simply because there wasn't any written agreement to it. 

On 9/15/2021 at 1:42 AM, StaceyPowers said:

Would you ever be willing to work crunch time on a game? How much would someone need to pay you?

I love playing, but that doesn't mean I would be okay with overloaded working schedule. If I already have a job, and have to work crunch on a game, I will directly deny that. There's no other option for that. 

I think the cultural belief in crunch time is very rare. Judging by the amount of people that champion the idea that crunch time is terrible. The kind of people who romanticize it are usually early 20s start-up "entrepreneurs" who think if you kill yourself to make a product, it's a guaranteed cool billion. For the love of god beware those people.

On 9/24/2021 at 12:46 PM, Heatman said:

Seriously - those so called bosses seem to always taking advantage of the sincerity of their worker who are willing to work such crunch time as a result of no stipulated terms and conditions. 

I had an experience where what I was supposed to be paid was cut off 50% simply because there wasn't any written agreement to it. 

That's why you always have to make sure it is in writing before you agree to anything. Companies love when things are undocumented as they can simply say it never happened.

That's it, we are living in a world full of surprises any thing can happen, and their can be denial. That's why legal paperwork is needed between the two parties as proof when it comes to extending to crunch time with incentivized benefits. 

Edited by Justin11

21 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

I love playing, but that doesn't mean I would be okay with overloaded working schedule. If I already have a job, and have to work crunch on a game, I will directly deny that. There's no other option for that. 

Once the pay for the overtime is something that is worth it, I don't have any problem doing it but it's taking me for granted is something I can't swallow. 

Everything comes to the individual's choice of work. If it happens that I'm choosing to represent a streaming team then the owner or CEO of the simple wants me working more, provided it's my passion and the amount associated with it being worthwhile I'll simply stick to it.