Register Now
Shagger

Gamers Are Mad That Thor is Fat in God of War Ragnarok. Well... He Was, According to Actual Myth.

People seriously have to stop being so superficial. First, here is the image that seems to have cost everyone thier calm;

image_2021-09-14_222020.thumb.png.0894062cbc6af8ea2ef7f27e6f28e089.png

IMO, he still looks badass

However, this might actually be the closest depiction of Thor when compared to actual myth that we've seen in modern media. The accepted image of Thor has been pretty much spoiled by modern media that insist he has to be a chiselled dreamboat of yum yum. Most notably of those being Chris Hemsworth as Marvel's Thor.

33139174-0-image-a-4_1600038101118.thumb.jpg.36ef7620c51c7d74c44b0b28424646d2.jpg

The truth is Thor was usually described as strong, but none the less large, ugly, sweaty bearded man. Even Marvel's blond hair is all wrong, Thor's hair is red. I have a book of illustrated Norse myths at home and having read them, let's just say Thor could eat his grub. A lot of men in strong-man coemptions have a similar boy type as well, don't forget. Some of ancient images of Thor from the time period and region also support this. Dualshockers also did some research. Here is also the Wikipedia on Thor for good measure.

thor2.thumb.jpg.48c37e93fe2b774fed889a076e7c06f3.jpg

123439837_1024px-Thor_wades_while_the_sir_ride_by_Frlich.thumb.jpg.06b1a0d2acb53d5b470b6d3e070a810f.jpg

download.jpg.bfaad7ba0ce1142c68b3a30dba7663b9.jpg

Now, Thor as a Germanic Deity is portrayed as a more muscular man;

Thor-woodcut.thumb.jpg.332cbec8c1b483d9451d470d58f695b0.jpg

But we're obviously talking about Thor in Norse mythology.

In the end, though, what's important in the new God of War game is the how the character and that his actions relatable and understood and is the story itself interesting. Just because this Thor has a gut, doesn't mean it's not going to work. That doesn't gaureente that it will work either, but that's the point, it's a non factor. This what I like to call "nontroversy" does, sadly, expose how vain and superficial gamers can be, something that happens a little too often.

I don't understand why people are so desperate to hate this game, but they're digging for excuses to do so. There's a thing with people loosing thier shit over a re-used animation of Kratos jumping into a boat. I mean, come on!

Edited by Shagger

Social media is such a toxic place nowadays that I just don't pay most of the people on those platforms any mind. Anybody that knows Norse Mythology knows Thor is fat - I honestly can't believe this is a topic of discussion. I already like the game because what I'm seeing from it is his son being as naive as Kratos was at his age and Kratos trying to steer him down a different path.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Social media is such a toxic place nowadays that I just don't pay most of the people on those platforms any mind. Anybody that knows Norse Mythology knows Thor is fat - I honestly can't believe this is a topic of discussion. I already like the game because what I'm seeing from it is his son being as naive as Kratos was at his age and Kratos trying to steer him down a different path.

I feel you. Don't want be believe that we, as in games, can be this vain and stupid. The unfortunate fact is that this has become an issue for people and it's embarrassing.

11 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Do you even think that they read wide to know anything about Norse Mythology? It's more or less of what they recently watched in Marvel movie that is twisting their opinion. 

I think the Marvel version of Thor just doesn't fit the image that I would have for a Norse God and the lean body is part of it, but more importantly for me is that he just looks too young or too unscathed to play the part of a warrior God. Thor in Ragnarok seems more realistic and wild as we would expect, not some perfect shaved, wrinkle free, flower eater. The Ragnarok version would tear apart a turkey leg. 

People have the idea that the image of a God is perfection. Even more so in today's world. Why is that? A lot of those older pictures and paintings depict ordinary body shapes. Why are we so obsessed with clean and boring and unattainable now? Is it really that disturbing to see a game character with a belly? I would play that bellied Thor any day over most of the other characters I see in games. 

In case you wanted some further insight into this from a very reliable source, here's a GameSpot interview with British Powerlifting Champion Darren McCormac.  He says and I quote "Like it or not, God of War's Thor is the peak of male performance".

https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/god-of-war-ragnaroks-thor-is-the-peak-of-male-performance-powerlifting-champion-says/1100-6496246/

I've no issue with Chris Hemsworth or Hollywood's interpretation of Marvel's Thor, it's reasonably accurate to it's own source.

thor-marvel-samuel-whitton.jpg

sle-the-mighty-thor-272-triumph-or-trage

But Marvel's Thor is NOT the Norse Thor, it never was.  I appreciate that Santa Monica Studio's have gone back to Thor's Norse roots for the design, which I think looks totally badass in its own way.

I'm really tired of this kind of "It's not hot by the unrealistic standard set by Hollywood therefore bad" idiocy.  The same thing happened with Aloy when the Horizon Forbidden West debuted.  Does anyone know what a human being looks like anymore?

maxresdefault.jpg

Apparently some people just want their characters to look like genetically perfect freaks.

Untitled-7.jpg

Jezz... What the fuck is wrong with humanity!

Edited by Crazycrab

9 minutes ago, Patrik said:

this is controversial, if they are mad because he's fat, then that's fat shaming + i don't think that any Greek God had 6-Pack Abs lmao

Actually to honest most depictions of Greek gods seem to have abs...

61duSKBaL5L.jpg

...but that's not the point.  The point is as stated by the OP is that the Norse Thor had a belly.

Edited by Crazycrab

41 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

I'm really tired of this kind of "It's not hot by the unrealistic standard set by Hollywood therefore bad" idiocy.  The same thing happened with Aloy when the Horizon Forbidden West debuted.  Does anyone know what a human being looks like anymore?

maxresdefault.jpg

Apparently some people just want their characters to look like genetically perfect freaks.

Untitled-7.jpg

Jezz... What the fuck is wrong with humanity!

Right on.

I believe it was Edgar Allan Poe who said, 

“There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”

... and he's right. So for a grown up, someone devoid of the same excuse one could make for a hormonally insane teenager, to say that a character is any less just because, for some reason, that character isn't hot enough for your liking is madness. I remember @m76 trying to push that case in another thread and even went so far to claim that any heroine he didn't find attractive in a game was designed that way because of a feminist adgenga. That was ludicrous, and so is all this pissing and moaning about Thor's gut.

30 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Right on.

I believe it was Edgar Allan Poe who said, 

“There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”

... and he's right. So for a grown up, someone devoid of the same excuse one could make for a hormonally insane teenager, to say that a character is any less just because, for some reason, that character isn't hot enough for your liking is madness. I remember @m76 trying to push that case in another thread and even went so far to claim that any heroine he didn't find attractive in a game was designed that way because of a feminist adgenga. That was ludicrous, and so is all this pissing and moaning about Thor's gut.

Oh! Poor m76 😂. His point back then about how he saw heroine characters in games did caused quite a stir with the long arguments on. Wouldn't want him taking it up again with this mention. 

Ps. On the subject, I believe most people are entitled to their individual opinions and it's cool when they don't force it on others. 

4 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Oh! Poor m76 😂. His point back then about how he saw heroine characters in games did caused quite a stir with the long arguments on. Wouldn't want him taking it up again with this mention. 

Ps. On the subject, I believe most people are entitled to their individual opinions and it's cool when they don't force it on others. 

I'm not trying to provoke him or anyone else, I'm just trying to show how this is not a problem indigenous to this one situation with Thor in GOW: Ragnarok. This is everywhere, and just because the subject of the conversation changes, the nonsense remains the same.

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

.... and just because the subject of the conversation changes, the nonsense remains the same.

You sure do have a good sense of humor man. But it's actually very true what you said about the both thing heading in the same direction which shouldn't but it's something we get to see happen in communities with multiple opinions.