Register Now
Shagger

Gamers Are Mad That Thor is Fat in God of War Ragnarok. Well... He Was, According to Actual Myth.

4 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

We've been perfectly fine as a species long before social media came about. Yes, it does have some uses such as in business but on the other hand, it's become a platform for pettiness and toxicity which nobody is doing anything to combat the issue.

Personally, I really believe the use of social media, internet and more tech pushed in more life in the world today from what it used to be. But yes, I do agree with how messy it's been online. 

16 hours ago, m76 said:

It's curious how you chose to mention this case, over the other case where the prudes demand the character design of the koran game Project Eve to change. And the most sad thing is that anyone who doesn't outright condemn the design gets banned over at resetera. Talk about toxicity.

I seen the trailer on the recent PlayStation Showcase and it looks pretty decent, sort of a cross between Bayonetta and NieR: Automata but certainly nothing particularly ground breaking.

Much like @Shagger I don't see much evidence of the controversy your talking about.  Just a few comments that the character design is generic and... It absolutely is.    Don't believe me, check out this reaction video and pay particular attention to what is said at around 7 and then 35 seconds in:

At 10 seconds - "Oh... I recognize her, why do I recognize her?"

At 35 seconds - "Why does she look so familiar?"

I'll tell you why, it's because it's same cute, sexy, slim supermodel we've seen a million times before, the very definition of playing it safe.  THAT'S what some people including Alex from DF are being critical of.  Not because the design is sexy, but because it's generic and uninspired.

Personally I don't really give a shit.  If a poster for 13 year old to jerk off to is what they wanna do then fine.  They could ship the collector's edition with a bottle of her bath water and unwashed panties for all I care (I'm not sure how they would achieve that but whatever). What I don't get is why you and others in a certain corner of the internet have such a problem when others say they want something different?  Why does it always have some kind of lefty political agenda?  They keep arguing for the freedom of creative design for developer's, yet when they exercise that right to make characters "less attractive" they throw their toys out the pram!

I guess what I'm try to say to everyone who are making complaints about Thor being to fat, Aloy being to ugly, the main character from Project EVE being to sexy or any other design from any other game you could apply any of these bullshit arguments to is...

I never had any problem with any character being too fat or slim. The myth is always a myth, you can manipulate afterall there is not enough proof. 

I guess the games are already too old now, and now it is immaterial to talk about the characters and all. Let's move on. 

On 9/17/2021 at 12:28 PM, Razor1911 said:

I never had any problem with any character being too fat or slim. The myth is always a myth, you can manipulate afterall there is not enough proof. 

I guess the games are already too old now, and now it is immaterial to talk about the characters and all. Let's move on. 

People on social media love to make a controversy out of absolutely trivial and superficial things when there are far more important things we should be really paying attention to.

Everyone has misconception at times especially when it comes to narrating the Outlook of another person, such happened to Thor, most gamers didn't get to spot exactly what he resembles they misquoted his physical look when comparing his God war look to the one in the real world. 

45 minutes ago, Head_Hunter said:

Everyone has misconception at times especially when it comes to narrating the Outlook of another person, such happened to Thor, most gamers didn't get to spot exactly what he resembles they misquoted his physical look when comparing his God war look to the one in the real world. 

Yeah. You are correct. Most importantly it will become a part of their bread and butter. By making such controversy, they know they can easily attract the viewers attention. It is better to avoid these things and only focus on serious issues, which is really concerning.

16 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

Yeah. You are correct. Most importantly it will become a part of their bread and butter. By making such controversy, they know they can easily attract the viewers attention. It is better to avoid these things and only focus on serious issues, which is really concerning.

Yes, focusing on the more serious thing is what matters. And not arguing about myths, appearance nature and xD. Which at the end doesn't add value to our lives as humans. 

On 9/17/2021 at 6:28 PM, Razor1911 said:

Seriously - as long as the characters are playable, why in the world would I be worked up how they look if they give me what I want from using them? 

36 minutes ago, Shagger said:

It's getting worse. Apparently people are also upset that Angrboda, a character who is a Jotun, is a young black girl. The article from Gamerant goes into the details.

Seriously - with the arguments on the girl being a black isn't something that's in line with Norse Mythology and their culture. 

5 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Seriously - with the arguments on the girl being a black isn't something that's in line with Norse Mythology and their culture. 

From the article:

"Discourse begins. Many explain how these preconceived notions are easily and simply not true. Sure, Scandinavian people tend to be white, but for 300 years, they traveled as Vikings. And, historically, there is evidence of Black Vikings and Vikings going as south as North Africa, making a distinction even for the Sub-Sahara Africa region. Even Assassin’s Creed Valhalla captures this quite well, with North Africa having lore related to the game, and there is some speculation that a potential Muspelheim DLC will correlate with North Africa in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.

Some go further to explain that the Jotun could be anything; there is no clear point of reference for how a member of the Jotun race should look, with everything from Marvel to other video games simply putting their interpretation onto it. Blue skin, large stature—that’s the common approach, but it’s not accurate to something that doesn't actually exist either. So, combine the Viking’s travel and the Jotun’s mystery, and Jotuns can be anything devs want them to be."

32 minutes ago, Shagger said:

From the article:

"Discourse begins. Many explain how these preconceived notions are easily and simply not true. Sure, Scandinavian people tend to be white, but for 300 years, they traveled as Vikings. And, historically, there is evidence of Black Vikings and Vikings going as south as North Africa, making a distinction even for the Sub-Sahara Africa region. Even Assassin’s Creed Valhalla captures this quite well, with North Africa having lore related to the game, and there is some speculation that a potential Muspelheim DLC will correlate with North Africa in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.

Some go further to explain that the Jotun could be anything; there is no clear point of reference for how a member of the Jotun race should look, with everything from Marvel to other video games simply putting their interpretation onto it. Blue skin, large stature—that’s the common approach, but it’s not accurate to something that doesn't actually exist either. So, combine the Viking’s travel and the Jotun’s mystery, and Jotuns can be anything devs want them to be."

There is a way you would look at their argument, it may seem like it's racist related which I'm not sure if it was but from the point of Vikings way of life being seriously rooted in traveling with their ships all over and even taking slaves; who sometimes gets assimilated into their clan and become a freeborn makes it possible to have blacks living among them.

It's something that can easily justify the inclusion of a black character - Angrboda in the storyline. 

14 minutes ago, Heatman said:

There is a way you would look at their argument, it may seem like it's racist related which I'm not sure if it was but from the point of Vikings way of life being seriously rooted in traveling with their ships all over and even taking slaves; who sometimes gets assimilated into their clan and become a freeborn makes it possible to have blacks living among them.

It's something that can easily justify the inclusion of a black character - Angrboda in the storyline. 

The Vikings did engage in Slavery, but wasn't quite the same system that we think of other European countries doing centuries later.  They gathered people up from raids and traded them throughout Europe and enslavement was also sometimes used as punishment for crimes.

So it's true there were some black people living in Scandinavia at the time, but it's not a correct assumption that these people were slaves.  It's possible that some were of course but it's not the same racial association that we have with the slave traders that operated in Europe and America centuries later.

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

This behaviour from gamers irritates in a huge way. People like m76 (this time I'm not using the mention function because that triggered him) will always claim they're defending creative liberty by calling out inclusion. The problem with thier argument is that they pick and choose what counts as creative liberty and what doesn't to suit themselves. To these people, a game developer's design can only be a creative liberty when it's something that those people themselves feel comfortable with, anything that deviates from that is "political". They would never accuse a developer of "pandering" or the design being "political" in nature when it's a design they were comfortable with or approve of, even if it didn't make any sense and actually was political or justifiably controversial (like if it were whitewashing, for example). So you see, the "creative liberty" argument is a lie to desguise the person making the argument's own prejudices. In this case with Angrboda, that prejudice is racism. As the article points out, the character is a Jotun, so there are not real limitations or patterns to adhere to when it come to the design, so why can't she be black girl and have that be the very creative liberty these ass-holes claim to be defending? So you're right @Heatman, this is totally about people simply being racist as well as hypocrites.

Edited by Shagger