Register Now
StaceyPowers

How do you handle a situation in a game where you are out of supplies and health?

5 hours ago, Sharon said:

I definitely just continue on and see how far I can get with minimal supplies/health. I usually die but it's what I do. haha

Exactly - if there's nothing more to do and going back to the last save isn't a good option, then riding out in glory wouldn't be a bad idea. 

There's a number of options I resort to:

• Et Tu, Brute Force? Butting your head against a wall until it comes down still brings the wall down. Sometimes it works to just keep trying over and over again with sheer determination. This can also include lowering the difficulty. I had to do this with Tyranny because of its frightfully unintuitive combat (yet another RPG that thinks it's being clever re-inventing d20 combat), going from what should've been fine on Normal mode as a now experienced CRPG player to Story Mode, which somehow manages to occasionally wipe out my party.
  • Live to Fight Another Day. Something video games do well, and sometimes don't do well, is the presentation of combat. Why is every bandit itching for a fight, to the point where they may try to take someone who has a legendary reputation upon sight, in a world where news travels fast? Why is every beast so hungry its first instinct is to attack someone who is wearing plate mail? This goes for enemies too, but some fights and other perilous situations should be avoided entirely. They may be worth a lot of XP, they may be time-sensitive, but neither mean anything if your avatar is dead. Do a tabletop, say nope.avi, and decide to power up elsewhere.
  • Withywarlock's Diplomatique. If tabletop gamers talked to each other about a problem, there'd be 85% less forum posts about tabletop drama and questions for game masters. Likewise, 85% more games with dialogue options would be better if I could talk or bribe my way past an enemy or situation. I'd even be for a game where I can talk a crevasse being easier to bound, or a door into opening (which technically exists with knock spells and such if they have vocal components). Given you reach godlike levels (if only in theme and lore rather than mechanics) in many video games, it'd be nice for you to actually have such mythical powers, to be completely convincing in all things. It's overpowered, but that's the whole point of reaching godly levels.

Alternatively I could just save scum.

2 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

There's a number of options I resort to:

• Live to Fight Another Day. Something video games do well, and sometimes don't do well, is the presentation of combat. Why is every bandit itching for a fight, to the point where they may try to take someone who has a legendary reputation upon sight, in a world where news travels fast? Why is every beast so hungry its first instinct is to attack someone who is wearing plate mail? This goes for enemies too, but some fights and other perilous situations should be avoided entirely. They may be worth a lot of XP, they may be time-sensitive, but neither mean anything if your avatar is dead. Do a tabletop, say nope.avi, and decide to power up elsewhere. 

This is kind of the best approach for me that syncs well for me in most cases because it's actually the most suitable when it comes to being out of options in a very difficult situation.