Register Now
StaceyPowers

What toxic behaviors do games perpetuate/teach?

For me, it would be that too many games make you have to hunt animals for food and supplies as if they are just there to serve mankind's needs. It belittles them. I think that sort of thing should be more reserved for survival games and not exploit it in every game. Then to have a quest to slay a beast in its own territory as if it did anything wrong outside of existing. And no, I don't want to force any developer to not hunt animals in their games. Just had to make that point for the real snowflakes out there. Nobody is trying to take away hunting rights in games. lol

This is such an interesting question! I'm curious to hear others' thoughts as well. For me, I think that subliminally gamers are encouraged to spend more for status. You have to earn X amount so you can spend it on better gear, customizations, etc. That's the society we live in, a consumerist one and too many people don't take the time to appreciate what they have and ultimately exposes themselves to depression and unnecessary stress. 

Depending on the game genre is what determines the messages it's going to carry. A game that's meant to be a survival game would definitely have some odd messages it's going to pass based on what you need to do in order to survive which won't be the same story in Minecraft or others games. 

Every video game has its toxic languages it perpetuates,which puts the gamer in limbo to be annoyed and wanting to move past the enemies in style, Lol. In FIFA I always get a sad feeling when they say my team will be pitied against Real Madrid, branding my rebranded team underdogs, or a David can slay a goiath. Such kind of toxic comments gets me annoyed, and makes me play my best to defeat AI. 

Some gamers are quite annoying especially when you go to the game village to have some funds with some friends and other gamers, the comments I get at times from them is toxic, I keep calm and never wanted to get in-line with such toxic discussions that leads to provocation. 

If we learned anything about games, is that violent games don't actually cause violence in players. So why would any other in game behaviors and value systems "teach" anything to them either?

There were a few games where some in game value system was extremely dubious. But who would take it as an example to follow? Just because something is in a game, that doesn't mean it should serve as an example. If we banned everything from games that could be considered undesirable behavior in real life there wouldn1t be much left.

2 minutes ago, m76 said:

If we learned anything about games, is that violent games don't actually cause violence in players. So why would any other in game behaviors and value systems "teach" anything to them either?

There were a few games where some in game value system was extremely dubious. But who would take it as an example to follow? Just because something is in a game, that doesn't mean it should serve as an example. If we banned everything from games that could be considered undesirable behavior in real life there wouldn1t be much left.

This is actually something that I do agree with and still add that it works both ways. It's all down to the player perception when it comes to kind of games he or she is playing. 

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

In a video game where horrible crimes against humanity is carried out like in Spec Ops : The Line with the use of white phosphorus, I wonder the lesson it teaches? 

In most of action games, such scenes are common. Not only the one you mentioned, there are many games with even harsh gore scenes. To make a game look realistic and interesting, the devs have no other choice but to opt for such gameplay.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Toxic behaviors aren't really taught by games - it's more the mentality/philosophy of the person play that influences their behavior. Games on a whole, don't really influence most people's behavior.

Yeah - games don't really make one to be toxic. The platform only serves as a medium for such toxic people to show off what they are made of. 

Since they are free to play at a significant duration, they simply use that time to discuss, most of them talk s**t, which isn't nice to digest, that's why I prefer playing alone with AI nowadays than getting involved in a heat congested environment like F2P place. 

Edited by Justin11