Register Now
StaceyPowers

Has anyone here ever regretted a preorder so much you won’t preorder again?

Everybody knows my story with Star Wars Battlefront in 2016 - I bought into the hype and pre-ordered and when I got this piece of trash, I was so pissed. $60 and the game was a buggy, repetitive, microtransaction nightmare. I've never pre-ordered another game and it has saved me from countless other disappointments.

5 hours ago, Sharon said:

I've never experienced this myself. Usually when I pre-order it's because I really want the game. Tomb Raider was the last time I did this. 

Most people are advised against going with pre-order because of what these game companies have been doing with their games over the years with not being trustworthy. 

2014 was the year I decided I was totally and utterly against preordering. I'd preorder so many mediocre games for the purpose of review, whilst listening to Totalbiscuit's excellent video on why you shouldn't preorder video games! Eleven times the charm, I guess. At least Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor was good. Before I continue on my tantrum, I'll say it was Sunset Overdrive that broke me. Having become tired of my Playstation 4, I'd exchanged it for an Xbox One so I could play this game by Insomniac I really liked the look of (the Sunset TV marketing was also well done). Unfortunately, the extensive character customisation wasn't enough for me as it wasn't up to my speed and I wasn't satisfied with the exploration.

~Tirade resumes below~

But yes, I appreciate the hypocrisy that I'd bang on about not pre-ordering shortly after doing just that for 10 or so months in a ferver of getting so-called AAA games for £20 on Amazon on day one.

That said, I really don't care any more. I've tried too long and too hard to convince too few people to not do it, so if more content gets cut from games to sell back to people... fine. We deserve it. And quite frankly I don't quite care enough about the longevity of the industry and good practice within it because there's no more I could have said or done to try and improve things. I can appreciate why people don't bother trying to convert people to their own more important causes via diplomacy. It's too exhausting.

That's honestly why I like participating in this forum. It's just nice to chat about what we have now, and what we had before, with zero pretence we're going to somehow change the world. I think it's too easy to get caught up on that, especially on bigger forums like Reddit and such.

Edited by Withywarlock

54 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

That's honestly why I like participating in this forum. It's just nice to chat about what we have now, and what we had before, with zero pretence we're going to somehow change the world. I think it's too easy to get caught up on that, especially on bigger forums like Reddit and such.

It's actually why this community is of a very good use to most people who are very active on it because we get to pick up priceless information without any bias that's going to be helpful to each and everyone of us in the future. 

Some newbie gamers in the forum get to know here what to likely expect from jumping into games pre-order from the experiences of others. 

16 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

2014 was the year I decided I was totally and utterly against preordering. I'd preorder so many mediocre games for the purpose of review, whilst listening to Totalbiscuit's excellent video on why you shouldn't preorder video games! Eleven times the charm, I guess. At least Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor was good. Before I continue on my tantrum, I'll say it was Sunset Overdrive that broke me. Having become tired of my Playstation 4, I'd exchanged it for an Xbox One so I could play this game by Insomniac I really liked the look of (the Sunset TV marketing was also well done). Unfortunately, the extensive character customisation wasn't enough for me as it wasn't up to my speed and I wasn't satisfied with the exploration.

~Tirade resumes below~

But yes, I appreciate the hypocrisy that I'd bang on about not pre-ordering shortly after doing just that for 10 or so months in a ferver of getting so-called AAA games for £20 on Amazon on day one.

That said, I really don't care any more. I've tried too long and too hard to convince too few people to not do it, so if more content gets cut from games to sell back to people... fine. We deserve it. And quite frankly I don't quite care enough about the longevity of the industry and good practice within it because there's no more I could have said or done to try and improve things. I can appreciate why people don't bother trying to convert people to their own more important causes via diplomacy. It's too exhausting.

It'd take a lot more than us to change a lot of things in the gaming industry when the majority don't feel the exact way as us and the companies have no real incentive to change either.

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It'd take a lot more than us to change a lot of things in the gaming industry when the majority don't feel the exact way as us and the companies have no real incentive to change either.

Yeah - That's right for sure but we aren't going to stop simply because our efforts isn't enough yet. 

Trying to think back real hard here and trying to remmeber if I did preorder anything related to gaming. I think I haven't. I'm not a preordering person anyway, I mean why would you spend $80 or more for extra things that you aren't going to use. Also to point out that when the game is out, you can buy it on the spot. Yeah those that preorder get to download the game in readyness and whatnot, but if you have super speeds I see no point.

I can buy the new Battlefield game on the day of being out and play it on the day of being out and pay $50 and not more. Like GTA 5 I brought it from a store a day after being out LOL

On 9/22/2021 at 12:42 PM, Empire said:

Trying to think back real hard here and trying to remmeber if I did preorder anything related to gaming. I think I haven't. I'm not a preordering person anyway, I mean why would you spend $80 or more for extra things that you aren't going to use. Also to point out that when the game is out, you can buy it on the spot. Yeah those that preorder get to download the game in readyness and whatnot, but if you have super speeds I see no point.

I can buy the new Battlefield game on the day of being out and play it on the day of being out and pay $50 and not more. Like GTA 5 I brought it from a store a day after being out LOL

I don't really need to think about it too hard if I had ever pre-ordered any video games because if I ever did, it's definitely going to clear to me that I did. 

On 9/22/2021 at 4:37 AM, Heatman said:

Yeah - That's right for sure but we aren't going to stop simply because our efforts isn't enough yet. 

I hate to say it but government intervention is going to be needed. Otherwise, they won't stop at all - the gaming industry has failed to fairly regulate itself and it's clear to see it won't ever get to that stage.

On 9/23/2021 at 2:27 AM, Head_Hunter said:

I never did preorder before, I buy after much. Even when the game is going to be fascinating through it's trailer I don't preorder it until it finally launches. 

Yup. It's better to order after people have given good feedback. We shouldn't be too carried away with excitement. I know, many gamers can't wait for playing a game. But sometimes that decision may backfire too. 

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I hate to say it but government intervention is going to be needed. Otherwise, they won't stop at all - the gaming industry has failed to fairly regulate itself and it's clear to see it won't ever get to that stage.

The government have turned a blind eye to this acts for so long and I hardly think that their intervention now would make any difference.