Register Now
StaceyPowers

Did a reviewer ever change how you perceived a game?

Frequently. Being a reviewer has also done the same thing, as once I put into words how I feel about a game I tend to sometimes look at the game from a whole new angle, or indeed when my viewers bring into question (or rather, on today's internet, assert) something about my review. Something that's good about internet reviews today is the comment sections; more often than not I skip most of the review to see what the commenters are saying, and if there's a great enough consensus there, I may have more incentive to read the review proper and look at what's going on, good or ill.

16 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

When I had to purchase a new Game, I search for the reviews. If the reviews are good, and I am impressed with the walkthroughs, then only I go with my choice. So, I think many people actually do follow the reviewers comments.

I agree completely and I make sure to look at multiple reviews to ensure that their ratings are fair and not heavily biased.

21 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Frequently. Being a reviewer has also done the same thing, as once I put into words how I feel about a game I tend to sometimes look at the game from a whole new angle, or indeed when my viewers bring into question (or rather, on today's internet, assert) something about my review. Something that's good about internet reviews today is the comment sections; more often than not I skip most of the review to see what the commenters are saying, and if there's a great enough consensus there, I may have more incentive to read the review proper and look at what's going on, good or ill.

You got that point. Most of the times the comments section provide even more details than actual video. People questions, discuss and share their own feelings with the game. Obviously that will help us to get a clear idea.

2 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

You got that point. Most of the times the comments section provide even more details than actual video. People questions, discuss and share their own feelings with the game. Obviously that will help us to get a clear idea.

Seriously - that actually helps so much and not just in the game reviews alone but almost anything that seeks to ask for people's opinions. 

59 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Seriously - that actually helps so much and not just in the game reviews alone but almost anything that seeks to ask for people's opinions. 

You and @Razor1911 are both right. Reviewers are only human at the end of the day, and have no special qualifications that give them a protected identity (such as a doctor or a lawyer.) For all our English A-levels, literature-critique diplomas and repeat viewings of the Angry Video Game Nerd, we're just giving an opinion based on our own or our editor's ethics and review criteria, with the odd dash of objective analysis we choose to make. Hence the phrase "everyone's a critic," or the famous quote by Jean Sibelius, "Remember: a statue has never been set up in honour of a critic!"

13 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

...Hence the phrase "everyone's a critic," or the famous quote by Jean Sibelius, "Remember: a statue has never been set up in honour of a critic!"

This actually said it all because everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion and it can't ever be forced on others to accept without having their own say when they get to experience what the other reviewer gave his own opinion on. 

9 hours ago, Heatman said:

This actually said it all because everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion and it can't ever be forced on others to accept without having their own say when they get to experience what the other reviewer gave his own opinion on. 

That is important to remember these things while going for a review. Usually, if I want to have a look on review I watch 4-5 videos. That helps to get a clear idea about the game. Rather than taking decisions simply after watching a single review which may be biased.

Just now, Razor1911 said:

That is important to remember these things while going for a review. Usually, if I want to have a look on review I watch 4-5 videos. That helps to get a clear idea about the game. Rather than taking decisions simply after watching a single review which may be biased.

Yeah - the more you get to have several points checked out, you will definitely have a pattern figured out and know which supports which. 

On 9/20/2021 at 2:13 AM, Withywarlock said:

It's true - most commenters will warn us if the review is fair or it's biased. Things to look out for that wasn't mentioned in the review so it helps you form a better picture of what the game is like.

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It's true - most commenters will warn us if the review is fair or it's biased. Things to look out for that wasn't mentioned in the review so it helps you form a better picture of what the game is like.

Once the reviews are done in the right direction, it's definitely going to be very useful to those that are making use of it. 

Nope, or it's already to late and made up my minde, thenagain 50% of the time while playing I can change to what I think about the game. I do read reviews about games before I buy but after I brought the game I tend to not read about the reviews, other then updates and new content for the game. 

I say if you are the reviewer and doing it for a job or hpbby then it's differnt in away, then again you can't always please everyone.