Register Now
StaceyPowers

What game would not translate well to TV/film?

11 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Are there any video games that you would absolutely not want to be made into TV shows or films? Which games, and what about them makes you feel they would not work well in those mediums?

That may be sound funny but I would go with GTA series. There is too much of violence and gore contents in every mission, I don't want to watch the RL version of it. I would say any open world games would be like that only. 

6 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

That may be sound funny but I would go with GTA series. There is too much of violence and gore contents in every mission, I don't want to watch the RL version of it. I would say any open world games would be like that only. 

I wouldn't really say that all open world games would be piss poor when made into movies. Just like TLOU game series, it's definitely going to be interesting. 

17 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

If you've ever been to LA, you realize that GTA isn't really that exaggerated - that's exactly what you see on a daily basis. Those people are freaking aggressive and insane.

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

If you've ever been to LA, you realize that GTA isn't really that exaggerated - that's exactly what you see on a daily basis. Those people are freaking aggressive and insane.

Oh really? Might be the people there had played too much of GTA. 😆

I really hope that we don't need to watch a RL version of it. That would intrigue people more to behave like Phillips or Bellic. 😆

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Seriously - there are parts in LA that are even just worst when it comes to what goes on GTA. West Adams has 494% higher crime rate from California's average according to last reports. 

20 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

Oh really? Might be the people there had played too much of GTA. 😆

I really hope that we don't need to watch a RL version of it. That would intrigue people more to behave like Phillips or Bellic. 😆

Nope - LA has always been crazy town with lots of gang activity, pedophilia, prostitution, weirdos, rituals, drug addicts, homeless people and hollyweird actors. LA and California in general is the best example of a failed state. Their leaders are always making nonsensical policies about things so petty that you'd be surprised that it even exist. Other policies are downright insane like decriminalising giving someone an STD and making underage prostitution legal. Did I mention that the property prices and taxes are extremely high?

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Nope - LA has always been crazy town with lots of gang activity, pedophilia, prostitution, weirdos, rituals, drug addicts, homeless people and hollyweird actors. LA and California in general is the best example of a failed state. Their leaders are always making nonsensical policies about things so petty that you'd be surprised that it even exist. Other policies are downright insane like decriminalising giving someone an STD and making underage prostitution legal. Did I mention that the property prices and taxes are extremely high?

Seriously, with what's taken place in China Town in the past and even till date, LA isn't a place for the fainted heart. 

I was going to say "it would be better to ask the opposite question of what would work," but then I think Skylanders Academy, the Netflix show based on the video game series shows a lot of games could well work. I have to admit, as a 28 year old, I did belly laugh at some of the jokes within that show made entirely for children.

The first Crash Bandicoot had an animated intro that had a rather catchy theme tune, which many have mistaken for an unaired TV show, and honestly I think there's enough source material to work with. Each game could well have its own TV series, even if it was something like 6-8 short episodes rather than one based on each level (a lot of which after the first game use the same level themes.) 🎶Tell your friends to play our game and we'll make lots of loot! 🎶

I'm sorry, I'm answering my own question, not yours. I think a lot of these zombie games you see about like The Last of Us or Days Gone have missed their chance to stand out, as said in the past, because The Walking Dead is still ongoing to my knowledge, and even then when those shows come out it'll still be too early.

I guess if I had to choose one series of games it would be The Elder Scrolls. Either it has to be set in one of the older games (pre-Morrowind) and is so unfamiliar that it is new and magical to the current fanbase, or it's so familiar that it's tired and doesn't do anything the game does better. If you set it far into the future it becomes unrecognisable without exceptionally talented writers (not many of those making video game TV shows and films knocking about), and if you set it in a period that people are familiar with it has to be about more than the protagonist of the game that setting's in. The games have exceptional lore and they make great stories with it, but I'm not sure how you would make a TV show without it being an anthology series that's based on things that people closely recognise (stories about a Dark Brotherhood assassin, the Morag Tong, the Thieves' Guild, or perhaps based on books such as The Locked Room; the books were always good for their twists in the tale!)

A lot of horror films come to mind. I think some sort of Werewolf game similar to something like the shark game Man Eater could work. But really, I just want to see another game tackle The Thing as an adaptation. I know there was a PS2 version. The Fast & Furious, John wick, kingsman, there are a ton of them that have potential. Then end product though is iffy as history tells us when they try and make movies into games or vice versa it's usually pretty terrible.

1 hour ago, Empire said:

A lot of horror films come to mind. I think some sort of Werewolf game similar to something like the shark game Man Eater could work. But really, I just want to see another game tackle The Thing as an adaptation. I know there was a PS2 version. The Fast & Furious, John wick, kingsman, there are a ton of them that have potential. Then end product though is iffy as history tells us when they try and make movies into games or vice versa it's usually pretty terrible.

There's this movie called Teen Wolf 🐺, I really enjoyed that movie. I'm not sure if it's available in video games ; I would really like it if it's made into video games. 

9 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, with what's taken place in China Town in the past and even till date, LA isn't a place for the fainted heart. 

I agree - LA is definitely not for the faint of heart. As a matter of fact, LA isn't for most barring the extremely wealthy. Back in the days in the early 2000s, it was pretty nice but it's really gone downhill since.

Was there any game that translated well thus far?

Assassin's Creed : Awful

Max Payne : Awful

Tomb Raider : Mediocre

What else?

Arguably the most successful videogame adaptation is Resident Evil, it is not good, and has nothing to do with the games apart from having zombies, but at least it found a niche audience in the direct to video market.

Sure you can say the problem is not with the games' suitability, but with the creators of the adaptations, but still, with this track record, I'm less than enthusiastic for any adaptation.

Edited by m76