Register Now
Lamarr the strelok

Ray tracing:yay or meh?

What are your thoughts on ray tracing? Personally modern non ray tracing shadows and lights are pretty impressive.They look very nice during benchmarks so that's good enough for me.Shoot,some games on PS4 even have great shadows and lighting.Ray tracing is neat but personally not worth it nowadays.

What about you? Is ray tracing absolutely  necessary for you or don't you really care?

Well, I do not even have 2000 or even 3000 series cards, plus not all games even support it even. Ray tracing is definitely something that will improve over time. In most games it still doesn't seem worth it to turn on. For example in Cold War Zombies, with all settings maxed out, with a 3090 using DLSS Quality at 4K, the game around 145-160fps with ray tracing off. With the ray traced shadows and ambient occlusion on medium, It can drop to 70-100 fps. Almost a 50% reduction in performance for ray tracing that is barely noticeable. Definitely not worth it.

On 9/20/2021 at 10:25 PM, Lamarr the strelok said:

What are your thoughts on ray tracing? Personally modern non ray tracing shadows and lights are pretty impressive.They look very nice during benchmarks so that's good enough for me.Shoot,some games on PS4 even have great shadows and lighting.Ray tracing is neat but personally not worth it nowadays.

What about you? Is ray tracing absolutely  necessary for you or don't you really care?

If I'm being very honest with you, I don't really understand what you mean by Ray tracing. If I could get a video explanation of what you're trying to discuss, it's definitely going to aid me well in picking up with your point. 

On 9/25/2021 at 6:44 AM, Empire said:

Well, I do not even have 2000 or even 3000 series cards, plus not all games even support it even. Ray tracing is definitely something that will improve over time. In most games it still doesn't seem worth it to turn on. For example in Cold War Zombies, with all settings maxed out, with a 3090 using DLSS Quality at 4K, the game around 145-160fps with ray tracing off. With the ray traced shadows and ambient occlusion on medium, It can drop to 70-100 fps. Almost a 50% reduction in performance for ray tracing that is barely noticeable. Definitely not worth it.

I agree - Ray Tracing may have come a far way but most people don't even use the feature and most that do notice a huge drop in performance.

On 9/28/2021 at 9:12 PM, skyfire said:

I think there are instances where it can get used but I don't see massive adoption just yet. Let the corona post clearance world comes up then tech will pick up too. 

It'll take at least another 5 years before we can see any kind of successful adoption. It's just not being implemented in many games as of now.

On 9/29/2021 at 3:12 AM, skyfire said:

I think there are instances where it can get used but I don't see massive adoption just yet. Let the corona post clearance world comes up then tech will pick up too. 

Definitely, it's something that everyone is looking up to to happen and I'm sure that once it gets to that stage, things will be very different. 

To me, Ray Tracing looks impressive and I'm really amazed at how well it looks like in certain games, even "cartoonish" ones like Fortnite! However, having high FPS and Ray Tracing is impossible unless you got amazing hardware, and with GPU shortage and insane prices, I just feel it's not worth building a RT-capable computer right now. 

The future is bright, though, so newer generations of graphics cards will be able to handle RT with ease, which is something to look forward to!

7 minutes ago, AsPe said:

To me, Ray Tracing looks impressive and I'm really amazed at how well it looks like in certain games, even "cartoonish" ones like Fortnite! However, having high FPS and Ray Tracing is impossible unless you got amazing hardware, and with GPU shortage and insane prices, I just feel it's not worth building a RT-capable computer right now. 

The future is bright, though, so newer generations of graphics cards will be able to handle RT with ease, which is something to look forward to!

First things first, welcome to VGR. If you wish, feel free to introduce yourself and tell us more about you. Again, if you wish.

On topic, Ray tracing is compatible with Nvidia 20 and 30 series cards. So to employ ray tracing, you don't necessarily need a top-end monster of a PC, just a fairly modern one. Werther or not your PC will be able to run said game with ray tracing comfortably will depend on your hardware, I agree, but also on the game specifically your graphics settings. So maybe people will sometimes find that leaving ray tracing off will be a better option for them of certain games, but it will always depend on the specifics of the circumstances. In the end, it's just another graphics option.

6 hours ago, Shagger said:

First things first, welcome to VGR. If you wish, feel free to introduce yourself and tell us more about you. Again, if you wish.

On topic, Ray tracing is compatible with Nvidia 20 and 30 series cards. So to employ ray tracing, you don't necessarily need a top-end monster of a PC, just a fairly modern one. Werther or not your PC will be able to run said game with ray tracing comfortably will depend on your hardware, I agree, but also on the game specifically your graphics settings. So maybe people will sometimes find that leaving ray tracing off will be a better option for them of certain games, but it will always depend on the specifics of the circumstances. In the end, it's just another graphics option.

The rate of adoption in regards to Ray tracing is moving at a sluggish pace and it doesn't seem that a lot of developers are keen to add it just yet because DLSS 2.0 still has its issues and AMD's implementation is in its infancy.

22 hours ago, AsPe said:

It's link up with the graphics tune up in games is something that is very obvious but to some people, it's not really that a big deal from how it's reacted to recently. 

On 10/4/2021 at 3:13 PM, AsPe said:

The rate of adoption is painfully slow as in most developers whether gaming or otherwise are not using that much. I know in time it'll catch on eventually but I thought the process would be way quicker since we've since it's been out for at least 3 years.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:48 AM, Heatman said:

Definitely, it's something that everyone is looking up to to happen and I'm sure that once it gets to that stage, things will be very different. 

Now that from this month the lockdowns and the home stay has been reduced I am sure the tech would pick up. I think ray tracing based content will be there in most workshops in real time soon.