Register Now
Sharon

Do you guys remember the Sega Saturn?

4 hours ago, PGen98 said:

It was a genuine first party console with a good amount of original games.  You can find them on eBay, but brand new ones are extremely rare and expensive now.

Hmm, even the video game console of old being expensive nowadays. What really made the new one to be kinda expensive now that other new franchise consoles are available? 

On 11/5/2021 at 5:13 AM, Head_Hunter said:

Hmm, even the video game console of old being expensive nowadays. What really made the new one to be kinda expensive now that other new franchise consoles are available? 

It tends to happen when consoles become harder to find in the wild, and the Saturn being considered a flop, there weren't a whole lot of them sold in the first place, so it naturally jumped in price and has only gone up over the years.  You can find the white Japanese Saturn fairly easily, because it was a success there, but you need a memory card/action replay card in order to play non-Japanese games.

20 hours ago, PGen98 said:

It tends to happen when consoles become harder to find in the wild, and the Saturn being considered a flop, there weren't a whole lot of them sold in the first place, so it naturally jumped in price and has only gone up over the years.  You can find the white Japanese Saturn fairly easily, because it was a success there, but you need a memory card/action replay card in order to play non-Japanese games.

I wouldn't stress myself out trying to play non-japanese games via the Saturn edition. I just prefer playing the modernize games, at least it's easy to get going. 

On 11/10/2021 at 4:07 PM, Head_Hunter said:

I wouldn't stress myself out trying to play non-japanese games via the Saturn edition. I just prefer playing the modernize games, at least it's easy to get going. 

Totally understandable, and you're right, much easier to run!

On 9/21/2021 at 10:42 PM, Sharon said:

I actually really enjoyed that game system and titles like "Virtua Fight 2" and "Duke Nukem". It's a shame that the pirates killed the system. I heard that it was super easy to get pirated versions of the games.

Do you remember this console? Did you own one? What were your favorite games?

I don't think the pirates where the ones to kill it. Though I imagine it didn't help any either. It kinda came out at a bad time, with the PS1 and soon to be N64 on the market. Those kinda took over. Then they kinda dropped the Saturn altogether to focus on the dreamcast, which kinda came out too late for Sega to really compete. 

My dad got me a couple Sega Saturn used back in the early 2000s. One without the box and one with the box. Only paid $36 for all of it. I regret selling it off later though, but i still have the loose Saturn somewhere. 

The games on it were pretty decent. Played a ton of virtua cop with the light gun. Also had virtua fighter 2, which I thought was pretty cool at the time. 

Wish it lasted longer, because there was something good there. It survived in Japan a lot longer than it did in the states. So it wasn't a complete failure for Sega. 

On 12/6/2021 at 8:46 PM, PGen98 said:

The modern consoles emulating the games are nice, but there is something to be said for playing classic games on classic hardware, that little extra nostalgia.

I completely agree, the nostalgia is such a great feeling to experience. I imagine one day I may have a dedicated game room featuring classic consoles. That probably won't be closer to retirement though. 

I think I had this system in the 90s (I'm in my forties now.).  I remember playing a motorcycle game on it all the time.  Anyway, it had pretty advanced graphics for a 90s console.  Well, that might have been standard graphics for the late 90s actually.

1 hour ago, Jayson said:

I think I had this system in the 90s (I'm in my forties now.).  I remember playing a motorcycle game on it all the time.  Anyway, it had pretty advanced graphics for a 90s console.  Well, that might have been standard graphics for the late 90s actually.

Yeah it had decent graphics, sadly no one was all that interested in the Saturn. It was a case of too late to the party. And I don't think they had many games that dropped in the US. 

I think it had some better processing power than the ps1, but don't quote me on that. I may be wrong.