Register Now
The Blackangel

Switch now supports Bluetooth

I'm not exactly sure when or how the feature went out, but I was looking at the settings on my Lite a couple days ago and noticed that now it has Bluetooth capabilities. It's been great to have enabled finally. It also means I won't have to buy a new Switch just for this one feature. I don't know how many Switch players we have here, but if this has been bugging the hell out of you, then you should check your settings. It's a green light on my end. I don't have any kind of Nintendo subscriptions, but I have bought a great deal (well over 100) of games on the eShop. I don't know if that plays a role or not, but I doubt it.

6 hours ago, Shagger said:

I knew that the switch had Bluetooth connectivity, that's how the Joy-cons work, but for some reason it only worked with joy-cons and didn't have any ability to connect to anything else. So what happened, did the just, turn it on?

Software update that they finally decided to roll out. I'm just wondering why now? I mean, they could've done this years ago but what pushed them to finally do it.

Ok, I'm going to have to take a look at my settings tonight. I thought this would be a bigger deal in the Nintendo community. This is quite an interesting development! That would be amazing if I can work my bluetooth Bose headphones now!

33 minutes ago, Sharon said:

Ok, I'm going to have to take a look at my settings tonight. I thought this would be a bigger deal in the Nintendo community. This is quite an interesting development! That would be amazing if I can work my bluetooth Bose headphones now!

You should be but from what I understood it could've been done years ago so maybe it's the amount of complaints that made Nintendo decide to activate it.

On 9/25/2021 at 7:55 PM, Shagger said:

I knew that the switch had Bluetooth connectivity, that's how the Joy-cons work, but for some reason it only worked with joy-cons and didn't have any ability to connect to anything else. So what happened, did the just, turn it on?

I can explain this, I fact I probably should have explained this earlier but I'm here now.  When I was at University Bluetooth was still in its infancy but It did learn a bit about it.  One of the things I learned is in order to sell products using the patented Bluetooth technology companies have to agree to the terms of the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG wiki).

This is pretty dry corporate stuff so I'll keep it a brief as possible, but I will leave links to the full information throughout if you want to check it out for yourselves.

The SIG was formed with the interest of making the technology accessible and the competition in the market fair.  The main document of relevance here is the General Rules of Antitrust Compliance (pdf). I'll quote what I think to be most relevent parts which are points 5 through 7 and 9.

4. No Bluetooth SIG activity or communication, norNo Bluetooth SIG activity or communication, nor any involvement in connection with a 
Bluetooth SIG activity by any of its members or their representatives, shall include any  discussion that might be construed as an attempt (a) to prevent any person or business 
entity from gaining access to any market or customer for goods or services, or (b) to prevent any business entity from obtaining a supply of goods or services or otherwise purchasing goods or services freely in the market.

5. The qualifications for membership in Bluetooth SIG are set forth in the Certificate of Incorporation and in the Bylaws of Bluetooth SIG.  No applicant for membership, who otherwise meets the qualifications set forth therein, shall be rejected for any anti-competitive purpose.

6. Bluetooth SIG shall not compel or coerce any member into making a product. Bluetooth SIG has developed specifications and its members have entered into cross-licensing agreements for the necessary claims of patents to implement those specifications. Bluetooth SIG shall not compel any member to manufacture or implement any product that utilizes the technology of any members.

7. Neither Bluetooth SIG nor any of its members or groups of members shall make any effort to bring about the standardization of any product or service for the purpose of preventing the manufacture, sale, or supply of any product or services not conforming to a specified standard.

9. The specifications which may be developed or approved by Bluetooth SIG in order to effectuate the purposes of Bluetooth SIG as set forth in its Certificate of Incorporation and Bylaws shall be based upon technical considerations and upon the merits of objective judgments and thorough procedures. Specifications shall in no way be based upon any effort, intention or purpose of any of its members to reduce or eliminate competition in the sale, supply, or furnishing of products and services.

Basically what this means is Nintendo can deny the use of their own patented Bluetooth products on competing platforms, but they cannot prevent other companies from using competing Bluetooth products on thier own.  If you know anything about the history of Nintendo you'll know they really don't like other companies making money of their platforms without their approval so this would be a problem for them.

So for them this was something of an ultimatum, they can't make any Bluetooth audio products of their own and sell them without opening the gates for everybody else.  In guessing Nintendo want to market some sort of Bluetooth headset so they had no choice.

57 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

I can explain this, I fact I probably should have explained this earlier but I'm here now.  When I was at University Bluetooth was still in its infancy but It did learn a bit about it.  One of the things I learned is in order to sell products using the patented Bluetooth technology companies have to agree to the terms of the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG wiki).

This is pretty dry corporate stuff so I'll keep it a brief as possible, but I will leave links to the full information throughout if you want to check it out for yourselves.

The SIG was formed with the interest of making the technology accessible and the competition in the market fair.  The main document of relevance here is the General Rules of Antitrust Compliance (pdf). I'll quote what I think to be most relevent parts which are points 5 through 7 and 9.

Basically what this means is Nintendo can deny the use of their own patented Bluetooth products on competing platforms, but they cannot prevent other companies from using competing Bluetooth products on thier own.  If you know anything about the history of Nintendo you'll know they really don't like other companies making money of their platforms without their approval so this would be a problem for them.

So for them this was something of an ultimatum, they can't make any Bluetooth audio products of their own and sell them without opening the gates for everybody else.  In guessing Nintendo want to market some sort of Bluetooth headset so they had no choice.

Now that I've heard your explanation - that does sound like Nintendo. They'll purposely sabotage themselves to ensure nobody but them benefit from their own platform.

During earlier time, 10 years ago, here in my locality things were different. The Bluetooth wasn't known or used it was simply infrared which you can connect and share mobile phone contents with one another. Bluetooth came and everyone loved it, now other advanced ways have pooped up, we are loving it. 

Seeing Ninetendo switch adding Bluetooth feature just like play station did years ago makes it beautiful indeed. 

10 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

During earlier time, 10 years ago, here in my locality things were different. The Bluetooth wasn't known or used it was simply infrared which you can connect and share mobile phone contents with one another. Bluetooth came and everyone loved it, now other advanced ways have pooped up, we are loving it. 

Seeing Ninetendo switch adding Bluetooth feature just like play station did years ago makes it beautiful indeed. 

The issue most of us have had is that they could've done this years ago but @Crazycrab explanation makes a lot of sense. Nintendo constantly takes a dump on its community to prevent anyone else from benefitting from their games but them so it shouldn't surprise anyone.

On 10/5/2021 at 3:44 AM, killamch89 said:

The issue most of us have had is that they could've done this years ago but @Crazycrab explanation makes a lot of sense. Nintendo constantly takes a dump on its community to prevent anyone else from benefitting from their games but them so it shouldn't surprise anyone.

That's very bizarre of Nintendo building a console which they simply holding onto themselves for personal derivative. I never played any video game via Nintendo I've been with PS for long now. 

4 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

That's very bizarre of Nintendo building a console which they simply holding onto themselves for personal derivative. I never played any video game via Nintendo I've been with PS for long now. 

Sony has done things like this in the past but it's so subtle that most gamers wouldn't have noticed.

Bluetooth would be much better then having to use like a 2 metre Aux cable to listen through headphones in docked mode. That said, how are the internals wired up to send out a Bluetooth signal? Would it interfere with wireless controllers or wifi?