Register Now
StaceyPowers

In what ways (if any) do you feel underrepresented in games?

11 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I don't feel either, I go for games that is on my radar, not the game which aren't going to represent good feelings to me. I play for the curiosity and not for the name. 

Same - Games are more of a hobby for me. It helps me to relax and sometimes take my mind off things in the real world.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Same - Games are more of a hobby for me. It helps me to relax and sometimes take my mind off things in the real world.

You're simply dear buddy. Games at times takes me off the realms of the real world. It takes me to another spectacular world, especially the one I've been dreaming to have. 

If anything seeing my mirror image relfected back at me from a game would make me self conscious, which is the last thing I want.

This modern notion of representation is based on a false premise. We never looked at the characters and said, oh that protagonst has a different gender or race than me, now the game is ruined. Represent characters that make sense in the game's setting, that's it.

I'd be interested in alternate/revisionist historical settings for a game. Scythe did that and I think the theme is pretty cool. You could explore a variety of eras. From ww2 where the Japanese won, to Ancient Greece where they invented communism, to dinosaurs and cavemen having epic prehistorical battles.

32 minutes ago, m76 said:

If anything seeing my mirror image relfected back at me from a game would make me self conscious, which is the last thing I want.

This modern notion of representation is based on a false premise. We never looked at the characters and said, oh that protagonst has a different gender or race than me, now the game is ruined. Represent characters that make sense in the game's setting, that's it.

The problem with your statement is quite simply that it is not true. People DO claim that inclusion of woman as strong leads, members of the LGBTQ community and people of colour ect has "ruined" a game, movie or whatever it happens to be. It happens literally all the time.

On topic and as a white, straight, cisgender male, the answer to the question "Do I feel underrepresented in video games?", is a simple and obvious no. Even if I did, when playing a game I much prefer to roleplay a fantasy, or "play as who I'm not" as it were. I think that's why I get drawn to games with female leads, like Tomb Raider and HZD.

Edited by Shagger

On 9/26/2021 at 8:42 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

They need to represent me more in games: a macho macho man. I eat spinach and get cannon arms, but little chicken legs. 

Here we go - Mr Popeye . I'm sure you're getting ready to smash up some things. How's ya tiny legs chicken legs girlfriend 

🏃 😂 😂 

On 9/26/2021 at 10:43 PM, killamch89 said:

I think the games being a hobby for you is what it's doing in helping you to achieve all these things it does for you.