Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

GTA 5 extreme stereotypes and satire-please no spoilers

Eventually I would like to post some videos and links to what I mean by all the satire in the game but don't want to spoil too much. For now I will start this as a discussion because I'm kind of intrigued by the all the satire in the game. This may actually be a game completely based on satire. What do you think? I wasn't sure what to believe about this game with comments about racism and the stereotypes of certain characters being villainized due to their skin color or culture. And yes, there is stereotypes galore in the game. That is the whole point I am concluding. There are commercials on the in-game radio, tv, conversations, and the whole setting that has satirical politics to the extreme, cultural stereotypes etc. So the racism and the demonization of people is exactly what the message is supposed to give in it's comedic irony. For example, the characters I've come across so far are complete cliches like black gangsters, Italian big timer, Asian street racers, Mexican gang, etc etc. I don't think it's something to take at heart level and be offended by it and criticize it which I think many have done including myself. In a sense, the game is pretty brilliant or am I looking too far into simple truth? I'm not even close to finishing the game so please no spoilers. But so far GTA 5 seems to be satire of the real world. I'm interested to know what all your thoughts are on this. 

11 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

But so far GTA 5 seems to be satire of the real world.

You had it right in one when you said "this may actually be a game completely based on satire." Grand Theft Auto V is to GTA's comedic writing what Diary of the Dead is to George A. Romero's social commentary; they often have something to say, and sometimes it's worth listening to. Without spoiling anything it only goes further, and is spread all the thinner. Still, don't take this as moodiness or indeed telling you to stop playing on. It's a fun game, well worth playing on if you're enjoying it now.

3 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

You had it right in one when you said "this may actually be a game completely based on satire." Grand Theft Auto V is to GTA's comedic writing what Diary of the Dead is to George A. Romero's social commentary; they often have something to say, and sometimes it's worth listening to. Without spoiling anything it only goes further, and is spread all the thinner. Still, don't take this as moodiness or indeed telling you to stop playing on. It's a fun game, well worth playing on if you're enjoying it now.

It's been a while since I've seen that. Would be interesting to watch with the commentary and Romero is known for portraying his zombie films in having messages of real life conflicts. I definitely won't stop playing this game, it is fast becoming something I greatly underestimated. And it's sad to think about all those who may not have understood the satire, and simply took the game as fuel to criticize that's how city folk are, just a bunch of street thugs. 

14 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Eventually I would like to post some videos and links to what I mean by all the satire in the game but don't want to spoil too much. For now I will start this as a discussion because I'm kind of intrigued by the all the satire in the game. This may actually be a game completely based on satire. What do you think? I wasn't sure what to believe about this game with comments about racism and the stereotypes of certain characters being villainized due to their skin color or culture. And yes, there is stereotypes galore in the game. That is the whole point I am concluding. There are commercials on the in-game radio, tv, conversations, and the whole setting that has satirical politics to the extreme, cultural stereotypes etc. So the racism and the demonization of people is exactly what the message is supposed to give in it's comedic irony. For example, the characters I've come across so far are complete cliches like black gangsters, Italian big timer, Asian street racers, Mexican gang, etc etc. I don't think it's something to take at heart level and be offended by it and criticize it which I think many have done including myself. In a sense, the game is pretty brilliant or am I looking too far into simple truth? I'm not even close to finishing the game so please no spoilers. But so far GTA 5 seems to be satire of the real world. I'm interested to know what all your thoughts are on this. 

I believe so that the game tried very well to paint a real life picture of what happens in the world, in as much as it's very obvious that it looks like it painted more on the negative side of what goes on. 

12 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

It's been a while since I've seen that. Would be interesting to watch with the commentary and Romero is known for portraying his zombie films in having messages of real life conflicts. I definitely won't stop playing this game, it is fast becoming something I greatly underestimated. And it's sad to think about all those who may not have understood the satire, and simply took the game as fuel to criticize that's how city folk are, just a bunch of street thugs. 

With the George A. Romero example, I think (I say 'think' because I'm sure Night of the Living Dead had messages about racism and othering) it began with Dawn of the Dead which was quite clever in its use of zombies as a representation of 'mindless consumerism.' Land of the Dead was when things got a whole lot less subtle, a criticism of plutocracy and distribution of wealth and so forth. Diary of the Dead wasn't even a criticism or comment, more an observation of "social media exists." I recall Red Letter Media (RLM) did a joke about Romero writing up the next film before he passed away, going "Twitter, err, can you 'tweet' a zombie?"

I agree it would be unfortunate for people to not get the satire, but then if they're offended (especially if they haven't played the game), they're the exact kind of people the game is taking the piss out of. One thing I can say about Grand Theft Auto it's that nobody looks good, and very rarely does anyone come out of it smelling of roses. It's only until the story's over that their lives can begin to resemble normalcy in a world that's just as kooky as it was before.

4 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

....It's a fun game, well worth playing on if you're enjoying it now.

Seriously - With most people that I have seen engaged in playing GTA 5, even with all the noise on how some of its gameplay was represented, all of them still enjoyed every bit of the time spent on the game. 

It's just satire but there is some realism because the game takes a good amount of inspiration from Los Angeles which is full of gangs such as the Bloods and Crips which primarily have African Americans as their members while the Vice Lords are full of Hispanic immigrants. A good majority of them being Mexicans.

19 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

It's just satire but there is some realism because the game takes a good amount of inspiration from Los Angeles which is full of gangs such as the Bloods and Crips which primarily have African Americans as their members while the Vice Lords are full of Hispanic immigrants. A good majority of them being Mexicans.

It's actually why it's very obvious that they centered more glorifying the ills in our society more than the good. 

On 9/28/2021 at 9:35 PM, Head_Hunter said:

GTA 5 is the satire of the real world, it's gameplay is enticing indeed, those cutscenes caught my mind it's where the beautiful lies, talking like real humans, the characters appearance is realistic. 

Yeah - they really tried very well to replicate the real world activities in the game. I can't wait to see what Rockstar do with GTA 6 when it's out. 

18 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah - they really tried very well to replicate the real world activities in the game. I can't wait to see what Rockstar do with GTA 6 when it's out. 

Let's cross our hands any time to see what GTA series creators rockstar can bring in the GTA game series next launch being the GTA six version. 

5 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

Let's cross our hands any time to see what GTA series creators rockstar can bring in the GTA game series next launch being the GTA six version. 

Yeah - no matter what they (Rockstar) is definitely going to be making a GTA 6. It's only a matter of when. 

10 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah - no matter what they (Rockstar) is definitely going to be making a GTA 6. It's only a matter of when. 

It's matter of time, provided that rockstar or take two company wants more game and honors they'll always go for the best, and creating newer editions of games is ideal for such honors.