Register Now
StaceyPowers

When you are playing a game, do you feel the story is about you, or the character?

When you play a game where you are controlling a specific character with their own beliefs/goals, do you feel their story is about you, the player, or that your experience is about them, the character? Is it your story, or theirs (or both)?

I feel it is their story, and I am simply being given a chance to experience it “firsthand.” It is my story only insofar as I allow myself to "be" them for a while, adopting their goals.

Edited by StaceyPowers

11 hours ago, Justin11 said:

The developers simply made a game simply base on experiences, and such experiences is what lots of people simply wants to get down with. 

Agreed - they create an experience that most of us can relate to in some aspect or they take inspiration from real-life circumstances and re-write it to fit into their story.

33 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Agreed - they create an experience that most of us can relate to in some aspect or they take inspiration from real-life circumstances and re-write it to fit into their story.

Sure, they take inspiration from the real-life scenes recreate them into virtual reality scenes to drag the attention of gamers. It isn't easy doing that, that's creativity at its best. 

Very rarely do I feel the story is about me per se. The writers don't know me, and I don't know them, so they can only write about what they know as they should. Or in the case of Lovecraft, what we don't know, which was far more interesting than writing about me. Games can certainly influence my way of thinking, it's my most commonly consumed source of media and entertainment, but I don't believe for a second a game was made with me in mind.

I completely misread the OP the first time, and I think even with extensive rewrites of this post I still don't think I've answered the question adequately. Awful sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Edited by Withywarlock

In some games, you're role playing the character, in some games you're merely observing. Like it or not, it's not really up to the player which one of these roles you hold when playing a game. If the option is there, it's by the game's design, not the players will.

It depends on what kind of game it is obviously. If it's a skyrim/fallout styled game that is quest and choice driven and you create your own stats and all that I hate my character having a voice, someone mentioned it being jarring having your character be the only one not to talk where I'm the opposite. Generally though I like when I can control who the main character is, what they look like and who they are more than I do being told who they are.