Register Now
StaceyPowers

What qualifies as an immersive sim?

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I myself am quite confused why it's called an "immersive sim". I mean a sim usually is a real-life simulator which already makes it immersive so I don't really understand why immersive needs to be added to that. 

Because the term simulation is often used for games that have nothing to do with realism. I to this day have zero idea why games like civilization and the total war series are called simulations. Heck, sims is even named that way and how much realism does that have?

To me immersive sim suggests that the game is governed by real world rules, instead of arbitrary ones. For example in an immersive sim you expect a bullet to the head to be fatal for enemies. While in other games damage is calculated by a host of arbitrary parameters, that may not be based on anything remotely real.

For example world of tanks is a simulation game as well, but it is not governed by real world rules, but by various pay to win and skill/experience based bs.

I wish every game was an immersive sim instead.

Edited by m76

Immersive sim is actually putting yourself there. Some sims can't be immersive like Plague Inc where you don't even have characters, just a map and data you can manipulate. But if you took Plague Inc and you actually physically see the disease kill people or watch the cycle of an animal infecting a human and watch how the human comes into contact with others and see them from infection to death; that would have immersion. Or maybe even have the virus as the protagonist where you see the progression of the disease and infect others as if you were a camera attached to the virus and you can fly up someone's nose and start destroying their bronchioles.